Gary Rich

NYC ICE office ‘fully booked’ for migrant appointments through late 2032: document

24 posts in this topic

New York City’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) office is “fully booked through October 2032” for appointments to process migrants released at the southern border, according to an official document exclusively reviewed by The Post — making the Big Apple the ideal destination for migrants with dubious asylum claims and causing a massive headache for those with valid ones.

The backlog means migrants may have to wait almost a decade just to enter the immigration court process — which is beset by further delays stretching out years, sources said.

Read more https://nypost.com/2023/03/13/nyc-ice-office-fully-booked-for-migrant-appointments-through-late-2032/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That is a lot of data, the articles I have seen tend to confuse multiple issues.

If I read it correctly the 10 years is just to get to the first interview. I have seen people who have commented about waiting 7 years before this. And of course this is just the start of the process, I could see it taking decades by which time of course other opportunities could have arisen.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That is a lot of data, the articles I have seen tend to confuse multiple issues.

If I read it correctly the 10 years is just to get to the first interview. I have seen people who have commented about waiting 7 years before this. And of course this is just the start of the process, I could see it taking decades by which time of course other opportunities could have arisen.

Do you believe this can have an tickle down effect..

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

Do you believe this can have an tickle down effect..

Depends I suppose if resources are redirected, there will be definitely be some additional load no matter what happens, most will want EAD etc. Most cases on here will not be involved with ICE or the Courts anyway. Those that are yes.

It will be what it will be.

It does make me wonder about how the people who work there respond, OK you are getting paid and you have a job for life but must seem pointless.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

so 4,900 will hit the immigration offices 150 days after entry in NY to apply for work permits /  yeah,  be will be a trickle down effect as what happens to those with cases in NY offices to AOS and ROC legally
Pretending i am one of these 4,900 and i read that article saying most are refuse asylum (71% in 2020 and 63 % in 2021 and knowing NYC has the largest population of immigrants from all countries,  religions and races/  I would connect with others from my country and disappear into the illegal community (forget applying for anything ) and just work under the table .  i would become one of the over 11 million illegals as the US can not afford to find and deport them all.

ICE hits the places like chicken processing plants with a bus regularlly and deports the ones found with no green card on them BUT these people return ASAP to the US 

Not quite sure what the federal government can do or is willing to do .  i am just glad it isn't up to me as the issue is overwhelming

Timeline

I have no idea what the number is, I seem to recollect it has been 11 million for as long as I can remember

If you can have EAD for at least 10 years, probably a lot longer, I would go for that.

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

so 4,900 will hit the immigration offices 150 days after entry in NY to apply for work permits /  yeah,  be will be a trickle down effect as what happens to those with cases in NY offices to AOS and ROC legally
Pretending i am one of these 4,900 and i read that article saying most are refuse asylum (71% in 2020 and 63 % in 2021 and knowing NYC has the largest population of immigrants from all countries,  religions and races/  I would connect with others from my country and disappear into the illegal community (forget applying for anything ) and just work under the table .  i would become one of the over 11 million illegals as the US can not afford to find and deport them all.

ICE hits the places like chicken processing plants with a bus regularlly and deports the ones found with no green card on them BUT these people return ASAP to the US 

Not quite sure what the federal government can do or is willing to do .  i am just glad it isn't up to me as the issue is overwhelming

I just believe this whole thing effects every aspect of immigration (looking from the outside i had no clue ) but being right in the middle of this process my eyes are open, (and this can effect costs..  cause somebody has to pay for it )

But within saying that, waiting 10 years for something could be like being in prison.  but hey what do i know🤷‍♂️

Timeline

Depends on what you are waiting for I suppose, there seems to be a lot of confusion most of it deliberately caused. Especially when you have such a vague process, always wondered if I would have a good claim for asylum using the most generous interpretation.

Anyway not as if anything is going to get better anytime soon. More likely to get more interesting.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Gary Rich said:

I just believe this whole thing effects every aspect of immigration (looking from the outside i had no clue ) but being right in the middle of this process my eyes are open, (and this can effect costs..  cause somebody has to pay for it )

But within saying that, waiting 10 years for something could be like being in prison.  but hey what do i know🤷‍♂️

we're already paying 

Federal government bused them to so many places and is housing them in hotels

i wish i could find the article i came across about 2 years ago about ICE getting the big portion of our legal immigration fees as ICE operates under HSI under DHS

among the fact they ICE is holding $204 million in bond mone

How much funding does ICE get?
approximately $8 billion
The agency has an annual budget of approximately $8 billion, primarily devoted to three operational directorates — Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) and Office of the Principal Legal Advisor (OPLA).Jan 18, 2023

DHS has 22 divisions including FEMA (????? )   its quite interesting to read about all this / i started with the following online site and then onto the library for books on the subject including this one 

National Interoperability Field Operations Guide (NIFOG) Version 2.01 March, 2022: Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency - DHS Paperback – March 1, 2022

I understand you. Like i have a friend whom is living in Haiti. Her uncle has summited paper for her arrive here. I keep telling her even tho the US making someone easy for you to her here, there still will be a long wait.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that, any little bubble in the immigration process can have grave effect on the whole process.

Timeline

Humanitarian Parole is for 2 years, sort of like a long visit visa with working privileges.

I wonder what happens after the 2 years are up.

1 minute ago, Gary Rich said:

I understand you. Like i have a friend whom is living in Haiti. Her uncle has summited paper for her arrive here. I keep telling her even tho the US making someone easy for you to her here, there still will be a long wait.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that, any little bubble in the immigration process can have grave effect on the whole process.

9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

we're already paying 

Federal government bused them to so many places and is housing them in hotels

i wish i could find the article i came across about 2 years ago about ICE getting the big portion of our legal immigration fees as ICE operates under HSI under DHS

among the fact they ICE is holding $204 million in bond mone

How much funding does ICE get?
approximately $8 billion
The agency has an annual budget of approximately $8 billion, primarily devoted to three operational directorates — Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) and Office of the Principal Legal Advisor (OPLA).Jan 18, 2023

DHS has 22 divisions including FEMA (????? )   its quite interesting to read about all this / i started with the following online site and then onto the library for books on the subject including this one 

National Interoperability Field Operations Guide (NIFOG) Version 2.01 March, 2022: Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency - DHS Paperback – March 1, 2022

Excuse me ( my French) But dammm. over a ten 10 period that 80 billion ( with  B ).. That more money then some countries total budget, and we just taking one year..at 8 billion.. 

Edited by Gary Rich

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Humanitarian Parole is for 2 years, sort of like a long visit visa with working privileges.

I wonder what happens after the 2 years are up.

welp the way things are in Haiti now.. it could be push up to 4 years after the 2,  you talking about  kidnapping and everything..  the gangs there have control of the airport area..   

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/world/2023/03/11/haiti-chaos-gangs-guns-violence-migration/11110664002/

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

Excuse ( my French) But dammm. over a ten 10 period that 80 billion ( with  B ).. That more money then some countries total budget, and we just taking one year..at 8 billion.. 

In short, the full cost of USCIS operations cannot be as directly ... DHS will transfer funds annually from the IEFA to ICE's appropriations

Under Trump was the one i read ''

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/uscis-fee-hike-could-be-latest-step-reshape-immigration

By proposing an application fee for certain asylum applicants, the elimination of most fee waivers for low-income applicants, and a rare transfer of more than $100 million out of the agency’s adjudication services to fund stepped-up enforcement by another agency (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE), the Trump administration would alter key underpinnings of longstanding immigration fee policy.

5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

In short, the full cost of USCIS operations cannot be as directly ... DHS will transfer funds annually from the IEFA to ICE's appropriations

Under Trump was the one i read ''

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/news/uscis-fee-hike-could-be-latest-step-reshape-immigration

By proposing an application fee for certain asylum applicants, the elimination of most fee waivers for low-income applicants, and a rare transfer of more than $100 million out of the agency’s adjudication services to fund stepped-up enforcement by another agency (U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE), the Trump administration would alter key underpinnings of longstanding immigration fee policy.

wow.. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.