CherandLeon

What to expect from the Visa Interview in London

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All

I do apologize if any of this has been covered already but for some reason, today, I'm starting to freak out about my interview.

I met my fiancé July in 2019. We applied for the K1 visa in July 2021 and received a response that they were transferring the approved file to the embassy in London in December 2022. That's 18 months later.

The first issue is that once the application was submitted we didn't want to disrupt anything by my travelling to the USA on my ESTA. I did do it once (after waiting for a year) and visited him in June 2022. He then came to visit me in December 2022.

Prior to this we had visited each other SO MANY TIMES (around 32 times) between July 2019-July 2021. We lived together in London for over 6 months (but he didn't like England and moved back to the States, prompting the K1 application). I also lived in Colorado for 4 months (on my extended ESTA) during covid season. I feel that we have a provable well established relationship. we have travelled to 5 or 6 different countries together outside of visiting each others respective countries.

The stress though is coming from the fact that only the last 2 years appears to be taken into consideration (can someone please correct me if I'm wrong). as the NVC part of the visa took 18 months to process and we were nervous about travelling too much during that time - so we don't have much evidence at all to support our relationship (in the last 2 years) outside of our 1 trip each.

We talk/text every day on whatsapp mostly.

My K1 interview is on Tuesday 21 February 2023.

I have prepared photos, e-tickets etc from our time together (including the last 2 trips that fall inside the 2 year relevant period) but not much else. Please could someone advise on whether I should being putting together anything else?

Also, I am alittle concerned about the I-134. Reading through some of the responses on this forum, some users state that they are asked for the I-134 on the interview day. On our embassy letter however, we are asked to confirm in a statement that he will be financially supporting me during my stay in the USA. It also states that the I-134 can be a useful template to use (ie its not compulsory). So we did complete the I-134 but only provided a letter from his current employers confirming his salary. we havent submitted his tax returns or anything like that. Can someone advise if I have understood this properly (ie that the employers letter is enough) or have I missed something here?

I am in full time employment (all that info was provided in the application form) and I have provided bank statements confirming that 1. I have some small savings and 2. that he and I have a joint account in the UK that also has some small savings. 

I was pretty confident until this morning when I woke up with a horrible feeling of dread that Ive misunderstood something and majorly dropped the ball. Please help me if you can.

Kind regards

Cher

Edited by CherandLeon

London is not a difficult embassy, and the UK is low fraud.

The only connection to the “two years” for a K-1 is the meeting requirement.   That’s it.   Extra visits after filing/before interview can be helpful or even highly recommended, depending on consulate.

But for London, you really need not worry.   You’ve spent loads more time together in person than most K-1 couples.

Timeline

Jorgedig thank you so much for the response.

Do you have any advice about the I-134? Did you complete one? is it compulsory? is filing a tax return compulsory?

Many thanks for the reassuring reply.

Kind regards

Cher

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I self sponsored I assume London still allows this 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...

You'll be fine.

I was asked for the i-134 at the embassy. So I'd advise having it signed and completed by your fiance and taking it with you.

On another note I hate to think how much you're spending on flights if you've taken 32 in the span of 2 years lol.

Edit: I just looked at your time line, hope your interview went well 🙂

Edited by jp1000

Timeline

Hi VJ

Thank you for your reply!

yes I had the interview and it was surprisingly straight forward. I just received my visa vignette back today so paperwork wise I’m ready for the next step.

tbh I haven’t thought about this part of it and I was wondering, seeing as you left the Uk late last year, you could give some insight into 

1. shipping (I have an electric piano that I’d like to take as well as my regular things)

2. Next steps on paperwork (the practical things that you maybe weren’t aware of

3. how to stay busy while waiting for the right to work!

4. Any lessons learned from your journey so far post receiving your visa!

many thanks 

Cher 

2 hours ago, CherandLeon said:

Hi VJ

Thank you for your reply!

yes I had the interview and it was surprisingly straight forward. I just received my visa vignette back today so paperwork wise I’m ready for the next step.

tbh I haven’t thought about this part of it and I was wondering, seeing as you left the Uk late last year, you could give some insight into 

1. shipping (I have an electric piano that I’d like to take as well as my regular things)

2. Next steps on paperwork (the practical things that you maybe weren’t aware of

3. how to stay busy while waiting for the right to work!

4. Any lessons learned from your journey so far post receiving your visa!

many thanks 

Cher 

1. For shipping I used this company - https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/  - It's a very straight forward door to door service, they deliver the boxed and provide bubble wrap, parcel tape, even a marker pen for the boxes. I only shipped a few boxes however. There are probably cheaper services around but I'm glad I used these.

2. Start reading up on the Adjustment of Status paperwork.

You can file employment authorization (i-765) and advanced parole (i-131) WITH your adjustment of status package if you want to free of charge where normally they would be additional charge. I didn't bother with the i-131 because I don't want it.

employment authorization has taken 6-8 months for people over the last year I think but it seems a lot of people now including myself are getting approved the day of doing their biometrics (USCIS will schedule this for you when they process your case, you'll probably do it around a month after submitting your AOS package).

3. Go to a social security office 2 weeks after you arrive into the US and request a social security number. You can do this before you are married, but should wait 2 weeks after arriving so you're on their system. You'll need to take your passport and your i-94 which can be accessed here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home ('Need A History Of Your Arrivals & Departures?' -> 'View travel history', wait until you arrive in the US to grab this)

Also open a bank account if you can, try to get some proof of residency (I got added to my wife's lease), maybe get a driver license.

If you get added to your spouses credit card you may start to be able to build a credit history.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.