IAmKhaye

N-400 Online Application Warning Message

19 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. Thank you so much in advance for the responses.

I am filing my N-400 online under 5-year rule.

Under “Additional Evidence” it asks for my USC stepchild’s BC which I do not have. It states there that I have the option to not upload the additional evidence.

In this case, can I safely ignore the warning message about uploading my stepchild’s BC and submit my application?

If I ignore it, will it affect the processing of my application?

I have read from other (visa journey) threads that the USC stepchild's information/documents are not mandatory as it does not play any significant part on the immigrant’s citizenship case unless it’s the immigrant’s biological child or the immigrant is legally obligated to support the stepchild (dependent).

Edited by IAmKhaye

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Fwiw my wife didn’t upload the BCs of her step children (my biological children) and she is scheduled to take oath of citizenship.  

However her step children were all over 18 and all U.S. citizens when she married me. 

If your step children were under age 18 at the time of marriage, I can see why USCIS might have a narrow interest in the BCs especially if they were not U.S. citizens.  

As to your obligation to provide financial support for your step children, I believe that can vary by state. 

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Fwiw my wife didn’t upload the BCs of her step children (my biological children) and she is scheduled to take oath of citizenship.  

However her step children were all over 18 and all U.S. citizens when she married me. 

If your step children were under age 18 at the time of marriage, I can see why USCIS might have a narrow interest in the BCs especially if they were not U.S. citizens.  

As to your obligation to provide financial support for your step children, I believe that can vary by state. 

Just to clarify, your wife was able to skip the warning message, correct?

My USC stepchild whom I have never met was under 18 years old when I got married to my current spouse.

The child is now over 18 years old and my spouse is done paying the child support.

I did not have any obligation with my stepchild as the child live with the biological mom the whole time.

Timeline

I don’t know if there was a warning or not.  

You can give it a try.  As their step parent, you’ve no legal standing to get their BCs. Your spouse might (depends on where they were born).  

Since  you are applying under the 5 year rule so I cannot see USCIS giving you an RFE nor do I see USCIS having grounds to deny / delay your naturalization.  

17 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You can give it a try.  As their step parent, you’ve no legal standing to get their BCs. Your spouse might (depends on where they were born).  

Since  you are applying under the 5 year rule so I cannot see USCIS giving you an RFE nor do I see USCIS having grounds to deny / delay your naturalization.  

Alright. I will try and I'll let you know. Thank you so much.

I could apply for the 3-year rule but based on most of the VJ member's recommendations (including yourself), applying for the 5-year rule is definitely the way to go. So, I'll go that route. 

On 2/3/2023 at 5:23 PM, Mike E said:

I am finalizing my application now, since your wife applied under the 5-year rule, did she upload a 5-year worth of tax transcripts under the "additional evidence" online too? or she just uploaded the required evidence and took the rest to the interview? 

Edited by IAmKhaye

3 minutes ago, IAmKhaye said:

I am finalizing my application now, since your wife applied under the 5-year rule, did she upload a 5-year worth of tax transcripts under the "additional evidence" online too? or she just uploaded the required evidence and took the rest to the interview? 

It's always best to give USCIS all evidence, so IO get's chance to review it before your N-400 interview and approve you quicker.

You can upload it under Additional Evidence.

Timeline
16 minutes ago, IAmKhaye said:

She applied under the 3 year rule and 3 years (2019, 2020, 2021) of joint  tax transcripts were uploaded twice:

* evidence of bonafide marriage 

* additional evidence 

At her N-400 interview she was not asked for tax transcripts and she didn’t bring any. 

16 minutes ago, OldUser said:

It's always best to give USCIS all evidence, so IO get's chance to review it before your N-400 interview and approve you quicker.

You can upload it under Additional Evidence.

Understood. Thank you so much!

About my USC stepchild's BC, I guess I can safely skip uploading the evidence for now as I still do not have it on hand. I will definitely bring it during my interview.

My concern is when I try to skip it, a warning message pops up which states that if I do not upload, my application maybe delayed. I thought the additional evidence is optional.

I am unsure to submit my application online knowing that this might indeed delay my application.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

She applied under the 3 year rule and 3 years (2019, 2020, 2021) of joint  tax transcripts were uploaded twice:

* evidence of bonafide marriage 

* additional evidence 

At her N-400 interview she was not asked for tax transcripts and she didn’t bring any. 

I apologize, I have read a lot of VJ threads and got the information mixed up.

If I may ask, did she list her adult USC stepchildren in her n-400 application? 

Edited by IAmKhaye

@IAmKhaye I wouldn't worry about BC, as @Mike E pointed out based on his experience. I've seen others also not having issues with it.

You can postpone N-400 until you get replacement BC, but I wouldn't do it. Why won't you apply for N-400, and at the same time, work on obtaining stepchild's BC? It may not be needed now, but it's a crucial document for the child in the future.

Edited by OldUser

3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

@IAmKhaye I wouldn't worry about BC, as @Mike E pointed out based on his experience. I've seen others also not having issues with it.

You can postpone N-400 until you get replacement BC, but I wouldn't do it. Why won't you apply for N-400, and at the same time, work on obtaining stepchild's BC? It may not be needed now, but it's a crucial document for the child in the future.

Oh, that's my plan. I will skip uploading the USC stepchild's BC for now (as additional evidence) and submit my application online without it.

I am actively working on getting the BC. It's an uphill battle but hopefully I will have it on hand before the interview. The child was born overseas by USC parents. And obtaining it from the biological mom is impossible. So will have to work with an agency to process it on my behalf. 

The stepchild is over 18 y.o now and I have never met him. I believe he stayed with his biological mom the whole time. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, IAmKhaye said:

If I may ask, did she list her adult USC stepchildren in her n-400 application? 

Yes she did. Despite having their birth certificates, these were not submitted.  

Timeline
1 hour ago, IAmKhaye said:

The child was born overseas by USC parents

Was the child born a U.S. citizen?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.