KTG

Possible bounced check and change of mailing address

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am a new member here although I have been reading lots on this board over the last few months. Firstly, many thanks to all the members who put in so much time and effort to explain the entire process. It made things a lot less daunting for my husband and I when we were preparing our CR1 forms.

My husband (USC) mailed our I-130 petition to the Texas Service Centre on July 16th. USPS confirmed that the documents were delivered on July 19th. However, just after we mailed the petition, my husband got an offer for one of his houses and the sale of that house is due to be completed August 2nd. Here's the problem. The check which accompanied the I-130 petition will be drawn from an account which is tied to the mortgage of that house so once the sale is completed, the account is automatically closed. My concern is that the check won't be cashed by the USCIS before the account is closed. My husband rang the bank to try to get them to keep the account open for a bit longer or to transfer the check to another account but they said they couldn't do either. He also called the USCIS and they said they couldn't do anything without a receipt number which we obviously don't have since we haven't even gotten our NOA1.

The way I see it, we have two options. Wait and see if the check is cashed before the account is closed. If it is not, then the check will bounce and so we put in a new petition (by which time we would unfortunately be subject to the new fee scheme). Alternatively, we could put in another petition now but what would happen if the check does clear before the account closes? Then we would have two petitions with TSC. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

I also have a second question regarding the address to which the NVC will mail documents to you. My husband is planning to visit me in December 2007/Jan 2008 and stay with me until we get the visa. However, if he is here, he won't be able to receive mail back home from the NVC. Does anyone know if you can make a request with the NVC for documents to be mailed to an address out of the US? We don't want to redirect all his mail because that would mean everything, including junk mail, will get redirected which would cost a lot.

Would appreciate any advice.

USCIS

July 16 2007 I-130 mailed to TSC

July 19 2007 I-130 delivered to TSC

Aug 2 2007 NOA1 issued by CSC

Aug 6 2007 Check cashed and NOA1 received in mail

Dec 14 2007 NOA2

148 days from delivery of I-130 to NOA2, 134 days from NOA1 to NOA2

NVC

Jan 3 2008 Case received and Case# assigned

Jan 21 2008 DS3032 and AOS Fee Bill generated

Jan 30 2008 DS3032 Couriered from Singapore via UPS

Feb 4 2008 DS3032 delivered to NVC (delivery was late should have arrived Feb 1)

Feb 5 2008 DS3032 entered into NVC system and DS3032 received in mail in Singapore

Feb 11 2008 IV Fee Bill generated

Feb 25 2008 IV Fee Bill received in Singapore (not paid immediately as we were overseas)

Mar 10 2008 IV Fee Bill payment sent by USPS express overnight mail

Mar 17 2008 Payment of IV Fee Bill entered into NVC system

Mar 24 2008 AOS Fee Bill Payment sent via USPS express overnight mail

Week of Apr 7 2008 AOS Generated

Apr 16 2008 DS230 Couriered from Singapore via DHL

Apr 18 2008 DS230 delivered to NVC 9.32 am

Apr 19 2008 AOS I-864EZ sent by USPS express overnight mail

Apr 21 2008 AOS & DS230 entered into NVC system

Apr 30 2008 Case Completed!!!

May 12 2008 NVC issued Appointment Letter

May 24 2008 Received Appointment Letter in the mail in Singapore

June 16 INTERVIEW Visa Approved!!!

333 days from Filing I-130 to Visa Approval

June 23 Collection of Visa

June 30 POE Washington Dulles

Hello,

I am a new member here although I have been reading lots on this board over the last few months. Firstly, many thanks to all the members who put in so much time and effort to explain the entire process. It made things a lot less daunting for my husband and I when we were preparing our CR1 forms.

My husband (USC) mailed our I-130 petition to the Texas Service Centre on July 16th. USPS confirmed that the documents were delivered on July 19th. However, just after we mailed the petition, my husband got an offer for one of his houses and the sale of that house is due to be completed August 2nd. Here's the problem. The check which accompanied the I-130 petition will be drawn from an account which is tied to the mortgage of that house so once the sale is completed, the account is automatically closed. My concern is that the check won't be cashed by the USCIS before the account is closed. My husband rang the bank to try to get them to keep the account open for a bit longer or to transfer the check to another account but they said they couldn't do either. He also called the USCIS and they said they couldn't do anything without a receipt number which we obviously don't have since we haven't even gotten our NOA1.

The way I see it, we have two options. Wait and see if the check is cashed before the account is closed. If it is not, then the check will bounce and so we put in a new petition (by which time we would unfortunately be subject to the new fee scheme). Alternatively, we could put in another petition now but what would happen if the check does clear before the account closes? Then we would have two petitions with TSC. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

A unique problem indeed. Stall as long as possible, so that USCIS has the chance to cash the check.

Otherwise, they will return your petition for insufficient payment. You will need to re-submit the same petition with another payment. If that happens, well, that is the cost of the error in using a marginal or "limited life" bank account.

I also have a second question regarding the address to which the NVC will mail documents to you. My husband is planning to visit me in December 2007/Jan 2008 and stay with me until we get the visa. However, if he is here, he won't be able to receive mail back home from the NVC. Does anyone know if you can make a request with the NVC for documents to be mailed to an address out of the US? We don't want to redirect all his mail because that would mean everything, including junk mail, will get redirected which would cost a lot.

Typical “mail” correspondence from NVC is not relevant to Consular Section action. You will not need it, as the relevant Embassy/Consulate will already have a copy.

Hello,

A unique problem indeed. Stall as long as possible, so that USCIS has the chance to cash the check.

Otherwise, they will return your petition for insufficient payment. You will need to re-submit the same petition with another payment. If that happens, well, that is the cost of the error in using a marginal or "limited life" bank account.

Typical “mail” correspondence from NVC is not relevant to Consular Section action. You will not need it, as the relevant Embassy/Consulate will already have a copy.

Thanks for your reply, william33. I'm a bit confused about the mail bit, though. Won't my husband be receiving certain forms from the NVC (eg IV bill and DS-230)? I appreciate that once the NVC phase is complete the consulate here will receive a copy of the relevant documents but I am concerned about mail which we will be receiving in the US during the NVC phase. Thanks!

USCIS

Dec 14 2007 NOA2

NVC

Feb 4 2008 DS3032 delivered to NVC (delivery was late should have arrived Feb 1)

Feb 5 2008 DS3032 entered into NVC system and DS3032 received in mail in Singapore

Feb 25 2008 IV Fee Bill received in Singapore (not paid immediately as we were overseas)

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello,

Thanks for your reply, william33. I'm a bit confused about the mail bit, though. Won't my husband be receiving certain forms from the NVC (eg IV bill and DS-230)? I appreciate that once the NVC phase is complete the consulate here will receive a copy of the relevant documents but I am concerned about mail which we will be receiving in the US during the NVC phase. Thanks!

The USC receives no mail from the NVC during the K3 visa process. They do for the CR1 process. It's too bad you weren't up to date on the current petition mailing procedures. You could have sent the petition directly to CSC, where it will end up anyway. They your check would probably have been cashed a week or so sooner. You could also have sent the I-130 and I-129F together. We've been discussing that issue here since the policy change about a month or so.

If you end up having to file again. That's what you do. I wouldn't worry about the change in fees. The combination of I-130 and I-129F petition fees goes up only $5. because I-129F for K3 has no fee begninning July 30.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The USC receives no mail from the NVC during the K3 visa process. They do for the CR1 process. It's too bad you weren't up to date on the current petition mailing procedures. You could have sent the petition directly to CSC, where it will end up anyway. They your check would probably have been cashed a week or so sooner. You could also have sent the I-130 and I-129F together. We've been discussing that issue here since the policy change about a month or so.

If you end up having to file again. That's what you do. I wouldn't worry about the change in fees. The combination of I-130 and I-129F petition fees goes up only $5. because I-129F for K3 has no fee begninning July 30.

Actually, I am filing for CR1, not K3. I originally posted this is the CR1 forum but for some reason my post was moved almost immediately to this forum. I'm not sure why and I don't know how to move it back! Sorry for the confusion.

USCIS

Dec 14 2007 NOA2

NVC

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Actually, I am filing for CR1, not K3. I originally posted this is the CR1 forum but for some reason my post was moved almost immediately to this forum. I'm not sure why and I don't know how to move it back! Sorry for the confusion.

Hmm, I could have sworn I saw K3 on your profile too. Did you just change it?

Your husband only gets forms from NVC in the mail if he is the agent of choice. Otherwise, they are mailed to you abroad. This will delay your process compared to effectively using James' shortcuts for NVC. You could still use them but wouldn't save as much mailing time.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If the USCIS can't cash the check, they will return your petition and you will have to send it again with a new check. The bad thing is, you will have to pay the new fee.

As for the correspondence from the NVC, all you have to do is as soon as they say the DS-3032 has been generated, you send them an e-mail telling them that you (the beneficary) want to be the choice of agent. That way they will send all paperwork to you, no the USC.

I recommend you start doing some more research on how the process works at the USCIS and especially at the NVC so you're ready for eveything that may be coming your way.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

I had forgotten about the agent of choice form. So what we could do is to list my best friend who lives in NY as my agent of choice to ensure that she gets all NVC mail. As far as I am aware, the IV bill is the only document which we will not be able to generate ourselves (per James shortcuts). Is this correct? That would mean that I would have to get my friend to courier the IV bill to me but that's ok.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the check will clear in time. I gave the wrong date by the way, completion is 10th August, not 2nd. So we have about 22 days for the check to clear (petition was delivered on 19th), hope that's enough time otherwise we'll just have to put in a new petition. :crying:

Pushbrk, no, I did not change my profile. You will see from my first post that I mentioned CR1 forms in my message. :)

Thanks for all your help!

USCIS

Dec 14 2007 NOA2

NVC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.