heynaoj

Does St.Luke’s still forward immunization record to the embassy in Manila with missing covid vaccine?

27 posts in this topic

Parent on Immigrant Visa (IR5) with no covid vaccine -

This rarely gets mentioned on social medias so hoping to get answers here on this forum. 

My mother will have her interview at the US Embassy in Manila, PH Feb 2023 and will get her sputum results this month from St.Luke’s. She was able to proceed with the medical process in Nov 2022 but had to sign a waiver just like most of the applicants there who did not want to get the covid vaccine or didn’t like to get it completed with all the boosters. 
I am aware that CFO sticker is the last prior to departure and a negative covid test.

2 Questions:

1) Does anyone know or have first-hand experience if St.Luke’s will forward her immunization record to the embassy for interview even without her covid vaccine record? 

2) I know I have read before that she can fly to the US with no covid vaccine but with all the changes recently, would she still need to provide Covid vaccination record to fly and enter the US on an immigrant visa? 

Also, other than mentioned above, anything else that I should know before her flying here to the US? Thank you so much. 

AFAIK unless the rules changed recently, your Mom won't pass her interview and won't be allowed to travel to the US unvaccinated.

My wife's IR1 got rejected August 2022 because she won't take the covid vax. She did the medical check at St. Luke's, they really tried to pressure her into taking it but she refused.

Her interview was a couple weeks later, the interviewer knew she was unvaccinated and rejected her application because of it. They also canceled her existing US tourist visa because she is unvaccinated.

We filed a form I-601 request for waiver, saying it's against her personal religious beliefs and moral convictions but that was rejected after a couple months. They said she didn't establish sufficient proof she is against all vaccines. (You can't be just against covid vax) We explained that she had vaccines as a child but nothing as an adult and that we didn't vaccinate our 2yr baby with anything but I guess that wasn't enough proof. I think they wanted her to be of a specific religion that doesn't allow vax and letters from a priest or if she had a medical reason and doctors letters saying she can't take vax...

So we will wait a few years and hopefully the vax requirement will be removed and than apply for IR1 again...

• 5 months later...
On 1/12/2023 at 10:09 PM, mike81 said:

AFAIK unless the rules changed recently, your Mom won't pass her interview and won't be allowed to travel to the US unvaccinated.

My wife's IR1 got rejected August 2022 because she won't take the covid vax. She did the medical check at St. Luke's, they really tried to pressure her into taking it but she refused.

Her interview was a couple weeks later, the interviewer knew she was unvaccinated and rejected her application because of it. They also canceled her existing US tourist visa because she is unvaccinated.

We filed a form I-601 request for waiver, saying it's against her personal religious beliefs and moral convictions but that was rejected after a couple months. They said she didn't establish sufficient proof she is against all vaccines. (You can't be just against covid vax) We explained that she had vaccines as a child but nothing as an adult and that we didn't vaccinate our 2yr baby with anything but I guess that wasn't enough proof. I think they wanted her to be of a specific religion that doesn't allow vax and letters from a priest or if she had a medical reason and doctors letters saying she can't take vax...

So we will wait a few years and hopefully the vax requirement will be removed and than apply for IR1 again...

I am trying to figure out on how to reply on your response, hope I’m doing this right. 

Anyway, I apologize for not responding sooner. Although I already had an idea that it won’t go smoothly since my mom did not also take the Covid 19 vaccine when she did her medical at St.Luke’s early February and only got one shot (age-appropriate).

I sent couple emails to the manilacdc for waiver and sent a lot of proof that she has autoimmune disease so we really couldn’t take the risk of her having the Covid vaccine and 2 of her cousins died days later after getting the shot. Most of all, we really do not believe on getting it. Never got a single reply even to this day. 

The consul at the Embassy in Manila was a really nice lady and she said they will have to wait for the waiver that I submitted to the CDC in Manila (not the I-601), and must be received before medical would expire couple months later. 

We didn’t go the I-601 route since it would take 2-3yrs according to the timeline at that time and that would cost us another $. 

They didn’t approve her visa due to the missing Covid vaccine requirement so will just have to file again especially when it will finally be removed sooner than later. 

Here’s to hoping the HR 185 Bill will pass. They are really taking it slow to get this approved. 🙄

I'm not surprised the manila cdc didn't reply. This isn't about health, it's almost religious, protecting grandma and being a good person.

I think that bill is just for tourists. I don't know if that bill passed or a similar one but they removed the vax requirement for tourists a month or two ago.

I haven't heard of any proposals to remove the vax requirement for immigrants...

My wife is applying for a tourist visa now. We'll see how it goes, after being rejected for an immigrant visa and being married to an American it's not very likely she'll be approved...but worth a try.

Maybe it's better if your mom applies for a tourist visa without already being rejected for an immigrant visa

20 hours ago, mike81 said:

I'm not surprised the manila cdc didn't reply. This isn't about health, it's almost religious, protecting grandma and being a good person.

I think that bill is just for tourists. I don't know if that bill passed or a similar one but they removed the vax requirement for tourists a month or two ago.

I haven't heard of any proposals to remove the vax requirement for immigrants...

My wife is applying for a tourist visa now. We'll see how it goes, after being rejected for an immigrant visa and being married to an American it's not very likely she'll be approved...but worth a try.

Maybe it's better if your mom applies for a tourist visa without already being rejected for an immigrant visa

I think it would raise a red flag for my mom if she applies for another tourist visa (she already got denied twice before applying for an immigrant visa). But it’s always worth a shot. I honestly don’t think she needs an immigrant visa, she just wants to visit her children and grandchildren since she is a senior and disabled person. I don’t see her living her for longterm. 

All the best for you and your wife.🙏🏼

On 6/29/2023 at 2:42 AM, heynaoj said:

I am trying to figure out on how to reply on your response, hope I’m doing this right. 

Anyway, I apologize for not responding sooner. Although I already had an idea that it won’t go smoothly since my mom did not also take the Covid 19 vaccine when she did her medical at St.Luke’s early February and only got one shot (age-appropriate).

I sent couple emails to the manilacdc for waiver and sent a lot of proof that she has autoimmune disease so we really couldn’t take the risk of her having the Covid vaccine and 2 of her cousins died days later after getting the shot. Most of all, we really do not believe on getting it. Never got a single reply even to this day. 

The consul at the Embassy in Manila was a really nice lady and she said they will have to wait for the waiver that I submitted to the CDC in Manila (not the I-601), and must be received before medical would expire couple months later. 

We didn’t go the I-601 route since it would take 2-3yrs according to the timeline at that time and that would cost us another $. 

They didn’t approve her visa due to the missing Covid vaccine requirement so will just have to file again especially when it will finally be removed sooner than later. 

Here’s to hoping the HR 185 Bill will pass. They are really taking it slow to get this approved. 🙄

Hi there, im waiting for my case number applied as fiance visa. Most probably i would go under medical test aswell in st.lukes just want to ask question does your mom show some medical certificate at st.lukes  since she dont have the covid shot? Before she allows her to do the medical i did not get the covid vax aswell. I wonder if i can pass everything since may 12 they take down the required vaccine to enter US

Edited by ayzie25

Yes I think they will reject you because no covid vax but I'm not 100% sure. Yes my wife was rejected for spouse visa last year because she didn't get the covid vax. Her experience at st. lukes extension was very bad, horrible place, kids crying, nurses really pressuring her to just get the shot. It's not st lukes hospital in bgc, it's some extension office next to robinsons in malate. Maybe you can go there and ask the guards if it's still required just to make sure before you book. But you already paid for the fiance visa...maybe you can delay it a few years and hope they drop the requirement?

Edited by mike81

If we delay it then that means were going to apply again and pay the USCIS fee? I have to talk about it to my partner. Yes its St. Lukes extension clinic close robinson's. It sounds like st lukes know that your wife cant enter US bcuz they forward the results in US embassy still they allow to let her take the medical test? Its not cheap P18,550 its only valid for 6months. 

1 hour ago, mike81 said:

Yes I think they will reject you because no covid vax but I'm not 100% sure. Yes my wife was rejected for spouse visa last year because she didn't get the covid vax. Her experience at st. lukes extension was very bad, horrible place, kids crying, nurses really pressuring her to just get the shot. It's not st lukes hospital in bgc, it's some extension office next to robinsons in malate. Maybe you can go there and ask the guards if it's still required just to make sure before you book. But you already paid for the fiance visa...maybe you can delay it a few years and hope they drop the requirement?

Your wife rejected right before her date of interview at US embassy?

I don't know anything about delaying...

My wife went for the medical and they told her she needed the vax but she said no. Than she went to her interview at the embassy and the interviewer rejected her immigrant visa and canceled her tourist visa because she didn't get vaccinated.

Now she's applying for tourist visa because no vax required for that.

5 minutes ago, mike81 said:

My wife went for the medical and they told her she needed the vax but she said no. Than she went to her interview at the embassy and the interviewer rejected her immigrant visa and canceled her tourist visa because she didn't get vaccinated.

Well hope her best wishes..i check online fiance k1 visa categorized as nonimmigrant

Just now, mike81 said:

I've heard that pursuing alternate visa types shows "immigrant intent," and may weaken the case for the visa being applied for.

My wife just had her SLEC day 1 today.  She says they only requested her municipal vax card.  She said they wanted the proof that contained the vax plus the booster.  She brought the VaxCertPH but they did not use it since the municipal record was more complete.

So, maybe this info, might help determine where to get the required documents.

Many Filipinos don't have shot records. 

And sometimes records exist when they previously didn't.

Record keeping isn't like what it is in the US.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.