ImmigrantKrish

Speeding Ticket - How to during interview

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 minute ago, STO Overland said:

The smallest county in Texas is Rockwall County. It has one municipal court and two district courts. It would need emailing the clerks of both district courts. Look for the district courts.  

anyway, some have said not to bother. YMMV. 

I have time and I would rather give it a try and then sit back and hope for the best. I hope AZ has the information of my ticket from CA, as CA was useless in helping me with ticket details.

You can only do so much. It’s good that you included the citation on your N-400. If the issue comes up, then you can explain how you tried to get a copy of the paid ticket. Best of luck to you. 

I had the same situation where I got a speeding ticket a few years before my N-400 interview. When the officer asked me during the interview, if I was ever cited, I said yes - for a speeding ticket. He further asked me how many miles was I driving over the limit, I just randomly said 5 miles. He said that is fine. I was approved then after.

Do not worry, speeding citations are way normal than we think, they don't hold against you (unless it was a reckless drive leading to serious charges). Good luck!

Timeline

Well AZ DMV trip was a big waste. They only retain 10 years of record and not the whole history.

CA DMV is useless, Court clerk couldnt find the details and said its archived and CA DMV might have it, AZ DMV has records only for the past 10 years. So at this point, I will have nothing to prove it and hope the IO can take my word for it.

I had a very old ticket - a speeding ticket of about $75 in Montana when I was driving there as a tourist. I paid it in cash the same day, but nearly 30 years later, had no record of it. I could not remember where in the state was I pulled over. As I live in AZ like yourself, the local DMV could not find anything. So I wrote to the Montana DMV, and they sent me a letter that I'm not listed in their system, and that the relevant court would not keep such a record for so many years.

I mentioned that ticket (and another one from 2017, for which I had all the required documents) on my N-400 and brought the letter with me (together with 4 folders of documents) to the interview. It never came up, and all the IO asked to see was my DL and GC. 

As someone wrote above, YMMV; I think that mentioning the ticket is the right thing to do.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

Update on speeding ticket

----------------

I just finished my interview and the officer asked me to clarify why the form said I had an arrest listed. I explained that I put in traffic citation with a date and when the form is completed, it showed the citation date as Date arrested.

Officer concurred that I should list the ticket as it is part of citation question, but they are ONLY looking for serious offenses or issues, not normal speeding.

Anyone reading this, please be truthful and you will get a chance to explain, and that is what I did.

Some chose to not list it and during the interview they bought it up and the officer had to put that in the form.

Choice is yours... but I say from my experience they are not going to deny for an ordinary speeding ticket that is taken care off.

28 minutes ago, ImmigrantKrish said:

Update on speeding ticket

----------------

I just finished my interview and the officer asked me to clarify why the form said I had an arrest listed. I explained that I put in traffic citation with a date and when the form is completed, it showed the citation date as Date arrested.

Officer concurred that I should list the ticket as it is part of citation question, but they are ONLY looking for serious offenses or issues, not normal speeding.

Anyone reading this, please be truthful and you will get a chance to explain, and that is what I did.

Some chose to not list it and during the interview they bought it up and the officer had to put that in the form.

Choice is yours... but I say from my experience they are not going to deny for an ordinary speeding ticket that is taken care off.

Were you approved and oath scheduled? 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Were you approved and oath scheduled? 

Yes and got the oath letter in hand after 30 mins of the interview. But I could see the letter under online account in 10 mins while waiting in the lobby

Just now, ImmigrantKrish said:

Yes and got the oath letter in hand after 30 mins of the interview. But I could see the letter under online account in 10 mins while waiting in the lobby

Fantastic, thank you for sharing your experience and congratulations!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.