Needhelp345

Filing i-130 online. Need help!

13 posts in this topic

So I'm filing my i-130 for my husband online on the USCIS website. And I'd like to do so today. But it needs a. 10 digit phone number and while I do have a phone number...I live outside of the US (I'm a US citizen) so I don't have a US phone number so if they try to call that number without the country code it won't be me answering. Should I use my mom's phone number? She lives in the US.

Also for my address...it will not let me choose present I must pick a date EVEN though I still live here. What should I do? Should I just put until the filing date i.e. today like Example May 1, 2020-December 22, 2022. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you for reading!

18 minutes ago, Needhelp345 said:

So I'm filing my i-130 for my husband online on the USCIS website. And I'd like to do so today. But it needs a. 10 digit phone number and while I do have a phone number...I live outside of the US (I'm a US citizen) so I don't have a US phone number so if they try to call that number without the country code it won't be me answering. Should I use my mom's phone number? She lives in the US.

Also for my address...it will not let me choose present I must pick a date EVEN though I still live here. What should I do? Should I just put until the filing date i.e. today like Example May 1, 2020-December 22, 2022. I appreciate any and all help. Thank you for reading!

OK my I130 filed when we lived overseas was filed with my overseas address and overseas telephone number.  That’s where you live, that’s where he lives.  That’s how to contact you.

Address where relative intends to live was a family member’s address.  Which matched my drivers license, bank account, credit card statement

Oh no that's not the problem just that I can't fit the country code into the online box because it only supports ten digits ..and if I don't write the country code they may confuse it with an actual US area code.

And the only problem with the address is that they won't let me choose PRESENT as in me still living here. I have to select an end date 

15 minutes ago, Needhelp345 said:

Oh no that's not the problem just that I can't fit the country code into the online box because it only supports ten digits ..and if I don't write the country code they may confuse it with an actual US area code.

And the only problem with the address is that they won't let me choose PRESENT as in me still living here. I have to select an end date 

Yeah I PDF filled ours.  The online form bites to be honest.

On the PDF it defaults to PRESENT on current address. 
You can enter unlimited digits for telephone

It is possible that you can correct the phone number if the online application has a “part 9” otherwise you may have to fill out an “additional information” sheet and scan it into the file.

You sure you don’t want to Fedex or DHL your app to the lockbox?  It would be accurately filled out.

Edited by iwannaplay54

FedEx and DHL are EXTREMELY far from us. To get there would take 2 hours one way. So no I wouldn't wanna do that. Plus the costs would be astronomical. We couldn't afford that. Even just the application itself is crazy expensive. 

I'm not filling out the online PDF form but the website....and maybe I can try to add it? But I dunno I haven't been past evidence yet? Because I'm too scared. I dunno why?

1. Put tel no without country code ( they won’t call you from USCIS during 1st stage ). If you are worry prone , write a separate letter w full number and upload as pdf as @iwannaplay54 recommended. 

2. In Liu of Present use today’s date , no explanations required…they know. 

3. Hopefully you are preparing/planning on proof of re-establishing domicile by the time you get to NVC.

4 minutes ago, Family said:

1. Put tel no without country code ( they won’t call you from USCIS during 1st stage ). If you are worry prone , write a separate letter w full number and upload as pdf as @iwannaplay54 recommended. 

2. In Liu of Present use today’s date , no explanations required…they know. 

3. Hopefully you are preparing/planning on proof of re-establishing domicile by the time you get to NVC.

About 3 I am planning. I heard that I can use my voting record as proof. How else could I show that I have domicile? I don't wanna be apart from my husband if I don't need to be. I would like us to be together as long as possible.

Also thank you for your help. I will defitinely put today's date. That really makes me relieved.

Edited by Needhelp345

1 minute ago, Needhelp345 said:

About 3 I am planning. I heard that I can use my voting record as proof. How else could I show that I have domicile? I don't wanna be apart from my husband if I don't need to be. I would like us to be together as long as possible.

Our list:

I switched drivers license, bank address, credit card address, mobile accounts to my brother’s house

Maintained a car with insurance, same address.  My kid took it up to her college campus and drove it.

So:  You need to get set up.  License, bank account at a minimum.  “Intent to domicile” takes some work.  Your step one is move assets over.

Way it has to be.  The biggest hurdle is sponsoring your spouse.  You either need a lot of cash equivalent assets, a joint sponsor, or income in the US before the petition goes to NVC.

2 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Our list:

I switched drivers license, bank address, credit card address, mobile accounts to my brother’s house

Maintained a car with insurance, same address.  My kid took it up to her college campus and drove it.

So:  You need to get set up.  License, bank account at a minimum.  “Intent to domicile” takes some work.  Your step one is move assets over.

Way it has to be.  The biggest hurdle is sponsoring your spouse.  You either need a lot of cash equivalent assets, a joint sponsor, or income in the US before the petition goes to NVC.

I cannot drive. I have no license so that's impossible for me. I can try for a bank account. But how would I go about opening a bank account? I would plan to move in using my parents address as that's where I plan for us to live should I not be able to find a job immediately. I haven't been to the US in a decade. What documents would I need for the bank? Could I possibly open a bank account while visiting my family?

I'm going to ask my Aunt to allow us to use her house as proof of income.

8 minutes ago, Needhelp345 said:

I cannot drive. I have no license so that's impossible for me. I can try for a bank account. But how would I go about opening a bank account? I would plan to move in using my parents address as that's where I plan for us to live should I not be able to find a job immediately. I haven't been to the US in a decade. What documents would I need for the bank? Could I possibly open a bank account while visiting my family?

I'm going to ask my Aunt to allow us to use her house as proof of income.

You’ve been filing taxes yes?  First thing they’ll ask for on the affidavit.

You can walk in a bank, show your ID, and open an account anytime.  Bring your SS card and passport.

For that matter you can open an account with an online bank from there. Address it to a family member’s house. 

I’d suggest reading the I-864 and working out that hurdle.  Petition processing is easy.  Satisfying the CO that your spouse won’t be a public charge from overseas is not so easy.  It’s a grilling at the embassy counter.

Edited by iwannaplay54

5 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

You’ve been filing taxes yes?  First thing they’ll ask for on the affidavit.

You can walk in a bank, show your ID, and open an account anytime.  Bring your SS card and passport.

For that matter you can open an account with an online bank from there. Address it to a family member’s house. 

I’d suggest reading the I-864 and working out that hurdle.  Petition processing is easy.  Satisfying the CO that your spouse won’t be a public charge from overseas is not so easy.  It’s a grilling at the embassy counter.

I uh actually didn't know I had to file taxes as I was given wrong information. So Im filing them now or rather working on them. So I can just go to a DMV and get an ID on vacation? How can I get another SS card.... I lost it over a decade and a half ago. I know I'm a mess. I'm sorry. I will try to review the I-864. At that point I would be looking for a job so I assume that would help? I hope 

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline
On 12/21/2022 at 10:04 PM, Needhelp345 said:

I uh actually didn't know I had to file taxes as I was given wrong information. So Im filing them now or rather working on them. So I can just go to a DMV and get an ID on vacation? How can I get another SS card.... I lost it over a decade and a half ago. I know I'm a mess. I'm sorry. I will try to review the I-864. At that point I would be looking for a job so I assume that would help? I hope 

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/replace_your_card.html. - SS Card replacement

DMV- depending on your state yes, you can just show up with your passport and SS number or birth certificate and get an ID. Make sure it is REAL ID compliant or otherwise you may have difficulty entering federal facilities or flying domestically without passport in the future.

Taxes- yes....you have to file taxes every year from anywhere in the world as long as you are a US Citizen (and even if you renounce!). And, you may even get a refund even if you have no income! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I can only suggest to 'rent" a US phone number from Skype. You can even choose the area code. OK, it's like $50 a year but it saved our lives not only for the immigration stuff but for many other things where US companies, banks etc. won't accept foreign phone numbers. This number, if you don't resign the Skype renewal, stays the same forever. And the connection fees are really low.

Edited by Volli

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.