Jmeleecur

What is my last name?! Name change after marriage abroad. Cannot get Enhanced License?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I have no idea where to file this question, but someone here must be able to help!

I'm an American (woman) citizen, married to an Algerian. We married in 2019 in Tunisia. We filed our I-131 in July 2019, and (delayed due to Covid) he got here until May 2021. I didn't want to risk any other hold ups with our timeline and adding a name change in the midsts of all that, so I held off on figuring this all out for quite some time.

Anyway, after he arrived I changed my name with social security. It was quite easy. My NY state license was expiring soon after that- so I went to the DMV to get a new one and update my name-and might as well get the new Enhanced ID for domestic travel. DMV wouldn't let me get the Enhanced ID with my name change, using my Tunisian marriage certificate (with a certified translation of course). They said I have to get married again in NY state, and I need to go to my local city hall to apply for a marriage license! I thought this was absolutely crazy, we're already LEGALLY married... They let me get a new regular NY state license with the name change though (using that same marriage certificate as proof)!

I was pissed thinking they have no idea what they're talking about. I emailed the NYS DMV telling them all of this and they said I need to go to court to legally change my name if I do not have a US marriage certificate. 🤷‍♀️

Clearly the federal government recognizes my marriage certificate since they allowed us to use it with USCIS, NVC, IRS and Social Security. I figured to get around the DMV/ enhanced license, I will just get an updated passport for domestic travel as well as international. 

As I was filling out the passport application it asks 'when did your name legally change'...and that got me questioning all of this again. Did my name legally change when social security changed it? Or the date we got married? Is my name really changed?!? I'm so confused! And now I'm worried I will have problems with this updated passport!

Any advise or insight will be appreciated!

Edited by Jmeleecur

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
On 11/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, Jmeleecur said:

Or the date we got married?

That’s when.  

NY is one of the few states that lets married people marry their spouses multiple times.   

I think it U.S. cheaper to get a U.S. passport card than an EDL in your situation 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

NY is one of the few states that lets married people marry their spouses multiple times

Source:

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/marriage_equality_frequently_asked_questions.htm

What is a second or subsequent marriage ceremony?

A second or subsequent ceremony occurs when a couple can prove that they are already married to each other, regardless of where the marriage occurred and wish to remarry the same person (i.e., renew their vows) in New York State. This includes valid marriages between same-sex couples that have already occurred in other jurisdictions. New York State issues a second or subsequent marriage certificate to such couples. The 24-hour waiting period is not a requirement for second or subsequent ceremonies.