Adelina alfaro

IR-1/CR-1 Visa / 1-60 wavier

10 posts in this topic

My husband attended his interview in El Salvador last year but later we got an email stating that his I-601A was canceled but it was approved while he was in the states prior to going to the interview. He had a very small weed charge over 10 years ago that was vacated and sealed, but he did stay over 300 days in the USA illegally. The email stated that those two were one of the reasons they canceled his wavier. We’ve now applied for I-601 wavier to see if they approve it. We have two kids together and my lawyer prepared the wavier for us. I showed all my hardship and how depressed I’ve been since he’s been gone. It’s been almost 7 months since I’ve sent the I-601 wavier out. Should I send additional information about how I’m suffering here alone? It’s been so hard without my husbands financial support now we have to support him. Has anyone came across a case similar to this? My husband did want me to mention that durning his physical they were so rough and mean to him that he told them the truth like he always does and maybe saying that he did try a certain drug along time ago when he was younger could’ve affected his case? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
58 minutes ago, Adelina alfaro said:

those two were one of the reasons they canceled his wavier.

What were the other ones?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I 601a does not waive drug issues.

Last I saw I 601's are taking about 2 years so you are just waiting.

Did the Lawyer help you with the I 601a?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

35 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

What were the other ones?

Having been found inadmissible under Section 2A2, the approved I-601A waiver is cancelled. You are not eligible to receive a visa under the following sections of the Immigration and Nationality Act: 2A2 (§212(a)(2)(A)(i)(II) Applicant violated a law or regulation related to controlled substances.

9B2 ($212(a)(9)(B)(II) Applicant was unlawfully present in the United States for more than 365 days. This inadmissibility will expire after July 4, 2031. For the above violation, the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) may provide the following remedy: I-601 WAIVER Eligibility for a waiver is determined by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. For more information, go to http://www.uscis.gov

45 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Last I saw I 601's are taking about 2 years so you are just waiting.

Did the Lawyer help you with the I 601a?

Yes I get that. Hopefully not. Yes he did but I wish he would’ve applied for the  I-601 along with the 1-601a wavier 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Adelina alfaro said:

Yes I get that. Hopefully not. Yes he did but I wish he would’ve applied for the  I-601 along with the 1-601a wavier 

Did he know about the drugs conviction when the I 601a was filed?

I assume I 601 was filed after the interview as that was when it would come into consideration 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Did he know about the drugs conviction when the I 601a was filed?

I assume I 601 was filed after the interview as that was when it would come into consideration 

Yes my lawyer did know about my husbands drug  conviction but he had it vacated and dismissed.  Yes that’s when we filed for I-601 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Adelina alfaro said:

Yes my lawyer did know about my husbands drug  conviction but he had it vacated and dismissed.  Yes that’s when we filed for I-601 

Too late now but did the Lawyer give you a heads up that an I 601 was likely, a bit of a Hail Mary thinking it would not.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Adelina alfaro said:

You cannot file a 601 until you have been found inadmissible at the interview. If the lawyer knew about the drug conviction he should never have let your husband leave the country, or at least should not have had you spend the money for the 601A. 

I always assume the worst about lawyers... if he knew about the drug conviction and allowed you to file a 601A, he was counting on getting fees for 2 waiver submissions from the get go.

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, davidvs said:

always assume the worst about lawyers... if he knew about the drug conviction and allowed you to file a 601A, he was counting on getting fees for 2 waiver submissions from the get go

You are so right . This attorney does not inspire confidence at all..but the only choice for OP is to keep looking for a great attorney. ..

I  recommend a second opinion for another attorney to review how the conviction was “vacated”…for it to count for immigration purposes it would have to be vacated for “ procedural errors or constitutional infirmity “ and still need a few Hail Marys as @Boiler points out.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/err/H2 - Waiver of Inadmissibility - Criminal - 212 (h)/Decisions_Issued_in_2022/MAY262022_01H2212.pdf

On 11/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, Boiler said:

Unless the conviction was for 30 grams or less of marijuana, neither does the I-601.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.