CanadatoCali

Realistic timeframe for approval after 221g docs delivered to Montreal

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

I had my K-1 visa interview in Montreal on August 9th, 2022 and left with a 221g. 

I finally got the docs required and send it in via courier and the tracking number shows it was delivered on Thursday Nov 3rd. CEAC still shows as “Refused” with no updates since August. 

I'm wondering what a realistic (and recent) idea on a timeframe would be for a decision to be made. Wondering if I’ll be able to be with my fiancé in the USA for Christmas or if we should make alternate plans. Our son’s 2nd birthday is earlier in Dec as well. I was so hoping we could all be together by then as well but that’s probably just wishful thinking. 

Any insight would be helpful! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Makes a difference if u r Canadian born or a citizen or a permanent resident

if a resident there would be security checks done by the embassy in your home country

Timeline
1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

Makes a difference if u r Canadian born or a citizen or a permanent resident

if a resident there would be security checks done by the embassy in your home country

I’m Canadian born. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The consulate seems to be averaging 4-6 weeks for document reviews.  But, because you were issued a 221g, there's really no telling.  If you head to this other thread, it's mainly DS-5535 cases, but others issued 221G's are on there as well.  You might be able to get a better idea.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
23 hours ago, mam521 said:

The consulate seems to be averaging 4-6 weeks for document reviews.  But, because you were issued a 221g, there's really no telling.  If you head to this other thread, it's mainly DS-5535 cases, but others issued 221G's are on there as well.  You might be able to get a better idea.  

Excellent. Thank you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, please contact your Consulate by email. I had my interview a year ago and finally received an email with documents they require for a 221g and they advised me several weeks so hoping 3 to 5 weeks. It's very different to predict and if you can just go out there and stay with your husband over the holidays, you might as well just do that and then return afterwards. Don't wait on hope because they take forever to get back to us unfortunately. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Sana22 said:

Hey, please contact your Consulate by email. I had my interview a year ago and finally received an email with documents they require for a 221g and they advised me several weeks so hoping 3 to 5 weeks. It's very different to predict and if you can just go out there and stay with your husband over the holidays, you might as well just do that and then return afterwards. Don't wait on hope because they take forever to get back to us unfortunately. 

Thank you for your reply!

I have emailed them already and actually just received a generic response yesterday that didn’t confirm they received my docs or an estimated timeline. Essentially didn’t answer anything I asked lol. It’s been almost 3 weeks since they have received my documents and still no update to my CEAC.

I guess I just have to cross my fingers and be extra patient. I can’t travel to the US, as the consulate kept my passport, but my fiancé will come here for Christmas if worse comes to worse. 

Thanks again!

Yeah I completely understand your situation. I am in the same boat but I only sent my passport in 2 days ago and I asked them before I sent it in how long I can get it back in and they advised "several weeks" so hopefully between 3 to 6 weeks. So fingers crossed for the both of you sending you you positive vibes. Be positive, your near the end of the tunnel. One last Christmas in this situation. Don't listen to others and get a temp passport to get questioned at the airport/border its not worth it. Just gotta wait it out Montreal is slow. For example, my interview was a year ago and I finally got an email from them asking to passport. They really shouldn't do it to families but what can we do right only suggest our friends and family to not marry in the US LOL!

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Tiabeanie said:

Hey guys,

I got issued a 221g and got told to submit another police certificate (If I didn't email them they would've never told me anything).I wanted to confirm this address as where you sent your documents to:

U.S. Consulate General
955, 1re Avenue #USA
Sainte-Catherine, Québec
J5C 1C5

I can’t remember the actual address, but if you log on to https://ais.usvisa-info.com/  There is an option to send documents by courier and you follow the prompts and it will provide you with some papers to bring to a post office (there’s only certain ones - there’s a list  when you follow the courier prompts) with your envelope of documents. Once you find the area to follow the prompts, it’s pretty simple. 

Good luck!

Timeline
8 hours ago, Sana22 said:

Yeah I completely understand your situation. I am in the same boat but I only sent my passport in 2 days ago and I asked them before I sent it in how long I can get it back in and they advised "several weeks" so hopefully between 3 to 6 weeks. So fingers crossed for the both of you sending you you positive vibes. Be positive, your near the end of the tunnel. One last Christmas in this situation. Don't listen to others and get a temp passport to get questioned at the airport/border its not worth it. Just gotta wait it out Montreal is slow. For example, my interview was a year ago and I finally got an email from them asking to passport. They really shouldn't do it to families but what can we do right only suggest our friends and family to not marry in the US LOL!

It sounds promising that they asked you to send in your passport though! Sounds like an approval is right around the corner for you 🤞🤞

Yeah that's super strange. Use that site and you have to login to your account and once you're all in eventually you should get a PDF document with instructions and make sure to drop it off at one of the approved Purolator or BLS locations close by to you. That should be somewhere on the website through a link once you login as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.