9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello everyone,

2 question i need experienced information.
1.My 2year conditional green card expires on(April) 04/14/2023. What day or week do I apply for removal of condition/ 10 year green card.

2. I got married on (February) 02/16/2020 ,I believe I would be eligible for the 3 year married rule for naturalization. Can I apply for both 10 year green card / naturalization once I hit the 3 years  by february ending. Or what would be the best step to follow. Your response will be appreciated. Thank you.

The earliest you can apply for removal of conditions is January 14th, 2023.

It's best if you do it say on January 19th 2023.

The earliest you can apply for citizenship is January 15th, 2024. Again, better to apply few days later, say January 18th, 2024. To be eligible to apply for citizenship at that time, you would still need to be married and living in marital union with your US citizen spouse. You would also need to pass physical presence check (number of days in the US) and continuous presence in the US check (no long trips over 6 months).

I see why you're getting confused with the date you can apply for citizenship. You should count 3 years since you became the LPR while married to US citizen. Just because you married in 2020 doesn't make you eligible for citizenship in 2023.

Edited by OldUser

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

finish filling out the timeline with date of AOS with date of green card

then we could tell u when eligible for citizenship provided u meet all the requirements listed by Olduser

9 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

finish filling out the timeline with date of AOS with date of green card

then we could tell u when eligible for citizenship provided u meet all the requirements listed by Olduser

All the dates are in the first post of this thread.

Conditional GC expires 04/14/2023, meaning it was issued in 04/14/2021.

Removal of conditions can be filed 90 days before 04/14/2023. Citizenship can be filed 90 days before 04/14/2024 if all conditions met.

I'm not sure if there's anything else to calculate.

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

Removal of conditions can be filed 90 days before 04/14/2023. Citizenship can be filed 90 days before 04/14/2024 if all conditions met.

Thank you very much, you made this easy to understand. I appreciate it.

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

I think I have read somewhere people filled for removal of conditions and naturalization together.

11 minutes ago, Chr2746 said:

I think I have read somewhere people filled for removal of conditions and naturalization together.

What usually happens:

1. Conditional LPR applies for removal of conditions

2. Their case is pending for many months

3. When they become eligible for naturalization, they apply under 3 year rule without waiting for removal of conditions approval.

At that point, yes, they can have both I-751 and N-400 in progress.

You cannot skip removal of conditions.

Conditions must be removed before you can naturalize.

If somebody files I-751 and N-400 on same day:

- Either they filed I-751 late (they need to explain why) or

- They filed N-400 early and it will be denied

So just follow the timeline in my first answer.

17 hours ago, Chr2746 said:

They are never filed "together"; they are two different applications with different processes. You file each one when you become eligible. It often works out that both are processing at the same time but they are not filed concurrently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.