BFH

Question re: DS-260 expiring before interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi there,

Hoping someone can shed some light on our situation here. My wife (Chinese) and I (US citizen) - married 5 years, living in China.  

My wife and I first received notice of her IR-1 interview back in July 2020, however, due to covid travel restrictions (not being able to fly back to China easily to visit family - due to ticket costs and China no longer issuing tourist visas), we decided to postpone it until this year. 

We’ve updated the IV unit each year to keep the case valid. When we contacted them a few months ago to schedule the interview, we were sent the Immigrant Visa Instructions letter and were directed to schedule the interview ourselves. 

We’re planning to schedule the interview in Guangzhou sometime next month, but when checking all the forms submitted I noticed her DS-260 says it will expire on 10/31 - is this something that needs to be re-opened and re-submitted before the interview? A few items in the form have changed: our mailing/permanent address in the US, as well as her travel history - she’s visited the US with me a few times since starting the visa process. 

Also, the Police Certificate expired. We now have a new valid and notarized one - should we upload this or simply bring it to the interview? 

Thanks so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, BFH said:

Hi there,

Hoping someone can shed some light on our situation here. My wife (Chinese) and I (US citizen) - married 5 years, living in China.  

My wife and I first received notice of her IR-1 interview back in July 2020, however, due to covid travel restrictions (not being able to fly back to China easily to visit family - due to ticket costs and China no longer issuing tourist visas), we decided to postpone it until this year. 

We’ve updated the IV unit each year to keep the case valid. When we contacted them a few months ago to schedule the interview, we were sent the Immigrant Visa Instructions letter and were directed to schedule the interview ourselves. 

We’re planning to schedule the interview in Guangzhou sometime next month, but when checking all the forms submitted I noticed her DS-260 says it will expire on 10/31 - is this something that needs to be re-opened and re-submitted before the interview? A few items in the form have changed: our mailing/permanent address in the US, as well as her travel history - she’s visited the US with me a few times since starting the visa process. 

Also, the Police Certificate expired. We now have a new valid and notarized one - should we upload this or simply bring it to the interview? 

Thanks so much.

Unless instructed by the Consulate, do no upload anything new. Take the new police certificate to the interview   The date on the DS 260 is irrelevant. The form reflects your situation on the day it was completed. The date is an internal government date not an expiry date for applicant use. She should note down any changes since completing the submitted paperwork and advise the interviewing officer if/as requested . Updating address is important .. at POE especially as it is the address which will be used for her GC. 

On 10/24/2022 at 4:45 AM, BFH said:

Contact the embassy re DS-260, they will have it unlocked for update and upload all new documentation as anything carried to the interview in person needs to be uploaded beforehand…otherwise it will cause delays post interview. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.