Joe Minero

n-400 Early Filing and ?? presence

11 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

The n-400 filing instructions say you have  "lived within the state or USCIS district where you claim residence for at least 3 months prior to filing."   But the instructions ALSO state you can file up to three months early.    Are they saying physical presence or just residence?   What if we want to travel outside the USA and "early file" the n-400 right after we get back?     We will meet all of the requirements but I am not sure I understand this one?    

Maybe I'm paranoid but just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from General Immigration Discussion to the US Citizenship main forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

@Joe Minero did you live in the state for 3 months? Supported documents would be lease, state driver license etc. You can file 3 months early as long as you pass physical presence test (number of days in the US) and 3 months residency in the state you're filing in.

Timeline

We own a house together and our USA residence hasn't changed.    Maybe I'm stuck on the physical presence requirement implying we must be inside the USA for the three months before we file (early or not).   But I feel better that I'm worried for nothing since we didn't move our residence, just will travel outside the USA during the 3 month window before we file.   If I've got it wrong let me know, because I will be making travel plans based on the presumption that I can arrive inside the USA and file the n-400 without waiting 3 months.  

@Joe Minero you don't need to wait 90 days after your international trip to apply for citizenhip, unless you don't pass the physical presence test. Because you pass the physical presence test and haven't moved to new state less than 90 days ago, you should be good to apply.

Just don't apply exactly 90 days early. Apply a week or two later.

Timeline

We won't move or changed residences for the time period of her green card.   We will just be traveling to visit her kids in Costa Rica and I want to submit the n-400 a couple weeks after we arrive back in the USA.   I was misapplying the verbiage and In my mind I had incorrectly construed a requirement for physical presence inside the USA for 90 days prior to filing, which I am comfortable now was a needless worry.  

Timeline
21 hours ago, Mike E said:

How many days in Costa Rica before you file?

Hi Mike E, Probably a month.  She will easily pass the requirement for presence inside the USA for the three years prior to filing.    Is there a concern I need to be aware of??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe Minero said:

Hi Mike E, Probably a month.  She will easily pass the requirement for presence inside the USA for the three years prior to filing.    Is there a concern I need to be aware of??

Of she is spending the majority of the preceding 3 months outside the USA then her claim to have met the 3 month residency requirement seems weak.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.