JayFromTexas

Refugee / Asylum for 18yr old Russian Man

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My Russian girlfriend has a son who will be 18 in a month. We are worried that once he is 18, he will be drafted. He is a student in a university in Russia, but we fear that he can be taken, regardless of his status.

I've read about the process on different websites, including USCIS.gov. I understand one must be on American soil or a border to request asylum. We're considering the attempt at requesting asylum at the US Mexico border.

Here are my questions.

1. If you were in their situation, what would you do? Would you exit the country now or wait until the draft notice is received and exit the country illegally?
  2. How would you go about achieving asylum or refugee status? Present yourself at a US border somewhere? Are there other effective ways?
  3. Is there a law firm that you would recommend that could increase the chances of being accepted and/or guide us along the way?

Thank you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

State university or private? State is exempt from mobilization.

In-class learning (ochnyi) or evening / remote (zaochnyi)? In-class is exempt.

Has he called "122" hotline yet in Russia?

Edited by Lynxyonok

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

State university or private? State is exempt from mobilization.

In-class learning (ochnyi) or evening / remote (zaochnyi)? In-class is exempt.

Has he called "122" hotline yet in Russia?

State University, but we don't trust Putin will keep his word. He said in March there would be no mobilization.

What is the 122 hotline?

Thanks!

Timeline
1 minute ago, JayFromTexas said:

State University, but we don't trust Putin will keep his word. He said in March there would be no mobilization.

What is the 122 hotline?

Thanks!

Russian Mobilization hotline. He needs to call it from within Russia for any questions.

Timeline
8 hours ago, JayFromTexas said:

My Russian girlfriend has a son who will be 18 in a month. We are worried that once he is 18, he will be drafted. He is a student in a university in Russia, but we fear that he can be taken, regardless of his status.

I've read about the process on different websites, including USCIS.gov. I understand one must be on American soil or a border to request asylum. We're considering the attempt at requesting asylum at the US Mexico border.

Here are my questions.

1. If you were in their situation, what would you do? Would you exit the country now or wait until the draft notice is received and exit the country illegally?
  2. How would you go about achieving asylum or refugee status? Present yourself at a US border somewhere? Are there other effective ways?
  3. Is there a law firm that you would recommend that could increase the chances of being accepted and/or guide us along the way?

Thank you!

Are you bringing him to the US with your fiancé? Even if he was not a student, he shouldn't be drafted this year, as he will not 18 years old by October 1st. Nevertheless, students' exemption from drafts each year is not tied to this year or Russia's mobilization activities. It is written in the constitution, so if they decide to change it they will have to change the law first.

In my opinion, asylum should be the very last resort, especially for a young man. There will probably be no coming back and he won't be able to visit his relatives if he ever decides he wants to. And I think it should be his sole decision when he becomes an adult and truly understands the consequences. 

Timeline

Thanks TTM and Lynx for your replies. Right or wrong, we don't trust that Putin will obey the constitution. We fear that he will arbitrarily draft classes of men who are not supposed to be eligible for the draft and we're not going to take that chance.

I appreciate the comments about the consequences of the decision before this young man. It is a very important decision and he should be 100% on board with it, I agree. But, he needs to make that decision with as much information and counseling as possible, which is why I am here asking.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

On 9/30/2022 at 7:37 PM, To_the_moon said:

Are you bringing him to the US with your fiancé? Even if he was not a student, he shouldn't be drafted this year, as he will not 18 years old by October 1st. Nevertheless, students' exemption from drafts each year is not tied to this year or Russia's mobilization activities. It is written in the constitution, so if they decide to change it they will have to change the law first.

In my opinion, asylum should be the very last resort, especially for a young man. There will probably be no coming back and he won't be able to visit his relatives if he ever decides he wants to. And I think it should be his sole decision when he becomes an adult and truly understands the consequences. 

I know plenty of people who applied as refuges and can visit their countries after getting citizenship! He will be able to visit his  homeland eventually and there are ways to do it. Also, do you really trust Putin and Constitution there? I hear all the time how they drafting men in their 50-60s with their health issues etc! So no, nobody is safe from the draft. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
4 minutes ago, AnJay said:

I know plenty of people who applied as refuges and can visit their countries after getting citizenship! He will be able to visit his  homeland eventually and there are ways to do it. Also, do you really trust Putin and Constitution there? I hear all the time how they drafting men in their 50-60s with their health issues etc! So no, nobody is safe from the draft. 

Begs the question if the UNHCR is active in this situation, I could be wrong but assume not.

Dual citizenship would not prevent him from being drafted.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 9/30/2022 at 9:09 PM, JayFromTexas said:

Thanks TTM and Lynx for your replies. Right or wrong, we don't trust that Putin will obey the constitution. We fear that he will arbitrarily draft classes of men who are not supposed to be eligible for the draft and we're not going to take that chance.

I appreciate the comments about the consequences of the decision before this young man. It is a very important decision and he should be 100% on board with it, I agree. But, he needs to make that decision with as much information and counseling as possible, which is why I am here asking.

Thanks for taking time to answer.

Your son needs to be on the US soil to apply for asylum. There is a page on USCIS.gov what to do after that. He will be able to visit a motherland eventually. The hardest part is to prove that he is eligible to receive asylum/refugee status. Have to find a good lawyer who able to prepare good case. Unfortunately can’t help you with that. Good luck! 

6 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Begs the question if the UNHCR is active in this situation, I could be wrong but assume not.

Dual citizenship would not prevent him from being drafted.

Dual citizenship and 2 citizenship =2 different stories. America is not allowed dual citizenship with any countries. It’s irrelevant right now and it’s a long way to get a citizenship after requesting asylum. 

If his son afraid to be in Russia he should have a right to leave it. I am Russian myself and I don’t blame him. It’s a #@&$ show over there. 

Edited by AnJay

Timeline
2 minutes ago, AnJay said:

Dual citizenship and 2 citizenship =2 different stories. America is not allowed dual citizenship with any countries. It’s irrelevant right now and it’s a long way to get a citizenship after requesting asylum. 

If his son afraid to be in Russia he should have a right to leave it. I am Russian myself and I don’t blame him. It’s a show over there. 

Millions of dual citizens would disagree with you

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
21 minutes ago, AnJay said:

Eventually is the key word here. 

I don't trust politicians. The only thing I trust in is that if there will be a total mobilization and world war 3, nobody will be safe, not even you or me. So the OP's question would not be relevant anymore. Until then, I prefer not to speculate on things that have yet to happen. 

10 minutes ago, AnJay said:

If his son afraid to be in Russia he should have a right to leave it. I am Russian myself and I don’t blame him. It’s a show over there. 

The OP did not say it was his son. He said it was his girlfriend's son. So that is why I think until he becomes a legal adult it should be his mother's and biological father's decision. 

Edited by To_the_moon

Timeline
19 hours ago, AnJay said:

If his son afraid to be in Russia he should have a right to leave it. I am Russian myself and I don’t blame him. It’s a #@&$ show over there. 

To clarify.

A person immigrating to USA may be able to retain their original citizenship, becoming a dual citizen.

But a person born in USA cannot pick up a new citizenship without losing American one, so no option for duality.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lynxyonok said:

To clarify.

A person immigrating to USA may be able to retain their original citizenship, becoming a dual citizen.

But a person born in USA cannot pick up a new citizenship without losing American one, so no option for duality.

I have met many Americans who have also obtained another citizenship., you will find many on here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.