chaoticenergy

List of Common Reasons for RFE at NVC Stage (2022)

29 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, chaoticenergy said:

2. Civil Documents

- Police certificate ... Make sure the police certificate is not over 6 months old (NVC takes 3 months to process as of now and if it is older than 6 months, by the time you respond to an rfe your police certificate will be out of date).

Police certificates are valid for two years according to this website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

"Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued."

Edited by M.Knaebel

On 7/29/2022 at 5:01 PM, chaoticenergy said:

2. Civil Documents

- Police certificate missing/incorrect format <- make sure to check out the reciprocity table on the Dept of State website. Also make sure the form is correct with others who went through similar processes involving police certificates from the same country. Make sure you have an up-to-date information as the reciprocity table can change abruptly without notice. Make sure the police certificate is not over 6 months old (NVC takes 3 months to process as of now and if it is older than 6 months, by the time you respond to an rfe your police certificate will be out of date).

Why 6 months? On the official website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html) it states:

"Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more"

I've lived in Singapore for 10 months and somehow had it as "required document", so I submitted a signed affidavit saying that I've only lived there 10 months, with entry and exit proof, and as such do not believe I require a police certificate.

Am I likely to get an RFE?

9 hours ago, Pat2021 said:

Why 6 months? On the official website (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html) it states:

"Have ever lived in another country for 12 months or more"

I've lived in Singapore for 10 months and somehow had it as "required document", so I submitted a signed affidavit saying that I've only lived there 10 months, with entry and exit proof, and as such do not believe I require a police certificate.

Am I likely to get an RFE?

No one can say and you are likely to be okay for NVC but your consular officer might ask for a police certificate from that country. This is not based on their official statements but from what I have observed and advice from other applicants and immigration attorneys. NVC required a Canadian police certificate from me even though I had only been in Canada for 1 month at the time. Like you, I attached an explanation in place of a police certificate, but because I obtained a Canadian police certificate after my docs were submitted, I simply added it in “additional documents”. Once I get DQ’ed (hopefully), I will be getting an updated police certificate from Canada to take with me to the interview because I have been here longer now while waiting to get DQ’ed.

Edited by chaoticenergy

13 hours ago, chaoticenergy said:

No one can say and you are likely to be okay for NVC but your consular officer might ask for a police certificate from that country. This is not based on their official statements but from what I have observed and advice from other applicants and immigration attorneys. NVC required a Canadian police certificate from me even though I had only been in Canada for 1 month at the time. Like you, I attached an explanation in place of a police certificate, but because I obtained a Canadian police certificate after my docs were submitted, I simply added it in “additional documents”. Once I get DQ’ed (hopefully), I will be getting an updated police certificate from Canada to take with me to the interview because I have been here longer now while waiting to get DQ’ed.

Thank you. I mean, I don't live there anymore and haven't for years, it was just for a study abroad program. So hopefully it should be OK?

52 minutes ago, chaoticenergy said:

Does anyone know if we need last 3 years of tax documents or would the most recent tax year (2021) docs suffice?

The income numbers from the last 3 tax years must be listed on the I-864, but only the tax documents from the most recent tax year are required for submission.  The tax documents from the other 2 years are optional.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:08 PM, Chancy said:

The income numbers from the last 3 tax years must be listed on the I-864, but only the tax documents from the most recent tax year are required for submission.  The tax documents from the other 2 years are optional.

I was actually told if you are not providing supporting documents, only 24a must be filled out (eg. 2021 income). In several I864 guide videos and my own lawyer insisted.

The wording is not so clear; just says don't leave out 24a, but there's nothing about 24b and 24c. Quite confused and maybe this stuff is immaterial after all, but would like to get clear answers.

Edited by chaoticenergy

16 minutes ago, ramiz said:

nvc errors can be more extensive like in our case. They re-flagged paid applicants and sponsor as un-paid and duplicated applications of children. 

Your situation is technically not an RFE because it became problematic even before anything was reviewed by NVC due to technical glitch, but technical glitch can happen at any stage. Wish there was a way to resolve it quickly in such cases, but really, back-and-forth emails will just take forever. Whoever came up with the idea to suspend all phone communications to reduce "critical backlogs" was really short-sighted in my opinion.

Learned from @Chancy today.

If your sponsor or joint sponsor filed taxes as "married filing jointly", then they need to provide every W2 AND 1099 as it is stated on the tax transcript even if they are submitting IRS Tax Return Transcript to go with it.

So, the rules appear to be:

1. Submitting Tax Returns (1040) = provide all W2s and 1099s

2. Submitting Tax Return Transcript but not "married filing jointly" = the transcript should do the job

3. Submitting Tax Return Transcript and "married filing jointly" = provide all W2s and 1099s

4. For 2021 taxes not processed yet: IRS Wage and Income Transcript can be asked additionally (+ W2s and 1099s if married filing jointly per my FE Note)

It is a good idea to also add recent pay stubs, employment letter, etc.

Someone correct me if above is incorrect.

21 minutes ago, chaoticenergy said:

If your sponsor or joint sponsor filed taxes as "married filing jointly", then they need to provide every W2 AND 1099 as it is stated on the tax transcript even if they are submitting IRS Tax Return Transcript to go with it.

Not quite.  The W2/1099 might be required along with the Tax Return Transcript if the transcript indicates MFJ filing and the sponsor is not combining income with their spouse.  Note also that for those who filed MFJ and indicated in their tax filing that they are self-employed, different instructions apply.

Best to refer to the latest official form instructions for the I-864 here -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Not quite.  The W2/1099 might be required along with the Tax Return Transcript if the transcript indicates MFJ filing and the sponsor is not combining income with their spouse.  Note also that for those who filed MFJ and indicated in their tax filing that they are self-employed, different instructions apply.

Best to refer to the latest official form instructions for the I-864 here -- https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf

Yes, thank you! MFJ + not combining income with spouse to qualify.

Also good point about self-employed folks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.