2,958 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, LAMA9 said:

My timeline with WOM from file to visa in hand was 92 days.  We are seeing anywhere from 80 - 140 days from filing to approval.  In that window, they ask you to redo your medical and send in any additional documentation.

Appreciate you sharing the expected timeline. Just curious, other than redoing the medical, what other additional documentation did the consulate request? My understanding was that all the documents that were needed were already submitted at the time of the interview.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally didn't have to send in anything other than a new medical and my passport, but others have had to send in updated police checks, and other requested items that are specific to their cases.  

2 minutes ago, topman said:

Appreciate you sharing the expected timeline. Just curious, other than redoing the medical, what other additional documentation did the consulate request? My understanding was that all the documents that were needed were already submitted at the time of the interview.  

Never mind. Just looked at the tracker, it has all the info. Thanks!

Hey everyone! 

Sent in my 3rd congressman request, still no news although they have been updating the dates. Last one was jan 17, no idea what that means..

I'm going to attempt crossing into the US to spend 2-3 weeks with my husband because his work won't let him travel for another 3 months and the distance is getting too much. Any idea what happens if they dont let me in? Would it affect my papers?

Also in the hopes of being somehow optimistic, does anyone know anyone who has gotten their green card under a year after they received ds5535?

2 hours ago, Tikitch said:

Hey everyone! 

Sent in my 3rd congressman request, still no news although they have been updating the dates. Last one was jan 17, no idea what that means..

I'm going to attempt crossing into the US to spend 2-3 weeks with my husband because his work won't let him travel for another 3 months and the distance is getting too much. Any idea what happens if they dont let me in? Would it affect my papers?

Also in the hopes of being somehow optimistic, does anyone know anyone who has gotten their green card under a year after they received ds5535?

On the first question, no harm in visiting your spouse while application is in process. CBP Visa officers usually don't stop anyone if there's valid temporary visa or canadian passport 

4 hours ago, Tikitch said:

Hey everyone! 

I know several that cleared under a year, but it was DV so that may have played a role. 

On 1/20/2023 at 12:04 PM, throwitaway said:

I know several that cleared under a year, but it was DV so that may have played a role. 

What's DV?

On 1/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, Mmk2112 said:

On the first question, no harm in visiting your spouse while application is in process. CBP Visa officers usually don't stop anyone if there's valid temporary visa or canadian passport 

Wow so happy to hear that. Will book a flight now with a return ticket! 

Also If officers ask about your permanent application status, just tell them it's in process. Make sure to show them return flight with in six months period ( if flying on Canadian passport) *only if they ask.

Another good thing is, once you return back to Canada, this six month period gets reset. So, you can visit as many times as you can however you have to show visa officers you're not moving there permanently. e.g. you might have to show current employment status in Canada.

4 hours ago, Mmk2112 said:

Another good thing is, once you return back to Canada, this six month period gets reset. So, you can visit as many times as you can

Source for this? As far as I know Canadians should not exceed 6 months in a 12 month period, the presence is not reset upon return to Canada i.e; stay for 6 months, come back to Canada and return to the US with a new 6 month allowance. 

4 hours ago, Tikitch said:

What's DV?

Wow so happy to hear that. Will book a flight now with a return ticket! 

Diversity 

Edited by throwitaway

I am a canadian citizen, living in canada for 20 years, originally born in egypt. I had my immigrant visa interview for CR1 visa back in October 2022 at US consulate in Montreal. I was given 221g and DS5535 same day. Officer kept my passport and asked for my resume. 
I work as an engineer.

DS5535 and resume had been sent next day of the interview. It has been now 3 month (including weekends and holidays) and status showing refused however the date has changed 4 times

Any idea how long the process will take to complete and when to expect hearing back from the embassy?

I have read that medical is good for 2 years now, can anyone confirm.

Thanks

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Mmk2112 said:

There's a difference between working in the US as tourist and & working remotely for a Canadian employer while your stay in US. 

First one is illegal and not allowed. 

They are both illegal, the “digital nomad” is just usually overlooked. It’s not even a grey area, it’s not allowed in essentially every country with a tourist visa, but it’s not really monitored. If you are actively pursuing an immigrant visa, I would advise you to stop working remotely for extended periods on a tourist visa. 

If this were to be pressed, investigated or even asked during your interviews or background checks, you could be denied. And if you lie, and they know you lied, it could be denied. 

You haven’t found some secret that nobody had ever considered, it’s illegal to do any work in the US on a tourist visa. 

“Canadians are reminded that U.S. law requires entrants to qualify for the desired stay and purpose of travel at the time of their initial entry. A visitor who intends to live, work, or study in the U.S. and who does not disclose this information to the Consular or CBP officer beforehand may be permanently barred from the United States“

Just now, dennisv said:

@Mmk2112 how's your process coming along? how long you been in 221g (ds5535)?

It's going brother, it's painful but it is what it is. All we can do is wait. Even the US officials know that this process is bizarre however since it's the law so all who are suffering have to go through this process. I hope it works out for all who are suffering. 

Imagine being put into DS 5535 for a security reason and still you have visited US many times in the past without any restriction. They whole process doesn't make sense, in my opinion.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.