SummerF

Typographical Error on NOA1

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Help! 

They misspelled my husband's last name on his NOA1. The c/o is spelled correctly so thats weird. 

I've submitted an e request. 

Anyone else had this happen? 

How long did it take to resolve? 

We are supposed to be traveling on a cruise in October. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Misscloud said:

if u want to, beside e-request u can write and send snail mail to the same service center

attached the passport + receipt letter too

Just a copy of his passport correct? Yeah I can do that. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Misscloud said:

any proof that shows his correct name. if you want u can also add birth certificate copy if u want

guess wont hurt to have extra docs

Awesome. Thanks for the information. 

Timeline

I tried filing out two e-requests and sent a snail mail letter. Our status changed to "Name was Updated" a week later but we never got a corrected letter and it's been two months now.

I've called several times only to be told that "it would be taken care of" which it never was. Eventually I was told to call back if there is a pressing need (e.g. travel) for an InfoPass.

I would also call and tell them you're traveling very soon to get the passport stamped if possible since the letter is not guaranteed to come. 

Edited by RamonGomez

Timeline
3 hours ago, RamonGomez said:

I tried filing out two e-requests and sent a snail mail letter. Our status changed to "Name was Updated" a week later but we never got a corrected letter and it's been two months now.

I've called several times only to be told that "it would be taken care of" which it never was. Eventually I was told to call back if there is a pressing need (e.g. travel) for an InfoPass.

I would also call and tell them you're traveling very soon to get the passport stamped if possible since the letter is not guaranteed to come. 

Okay! Thanks for the reply. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

This same error happened with my husband's ROC filing in May of 2021, his name was spelled incorrectly on the NOA, both the 18 and 24 month extension letters.  First he tried the online "typographical error" feature, twice, no response at all from USCIS.  Finally in May of this year he sent a letter to the USCIS address on the NOAs, explaining the error, and included copies of both NOAs, his biometrics notice (they did not let him correct the error when he went for his appointment a year ago), copy of his I-751, and photocopy of his green card.  He was hoping to get a new, corrected NOA for work and travel if needed while continuing to wait for the ROC process to play out, who knows how long that will take.  Case receipt search finally showed "name has been updated," on the USCIS website, a few weeks ago, but no corrected extension letter has been received yet.  We travelled to Canada and returned to the US with no problem, using his expired green card and the 24-month extension letter with the name error, he also had a copy of the letter he sent to USCIS and a printout of "name has been updated" status, but the CBP officer didn't even ask for them.  He also recently got a new job with no problem, using his SS card and driver's license.  The incompetence of USCIS is legendary.  They can't even get important information like the spelling of someone's name correct when they enter it into their system manually.  It's crazy!  He is going to file a N-400 in August after his 3-year mark in the USA.  We're hopeful that the name error will not cause problems with ROC and naturalization.

Edited by carmel34

Timeline
1 hour ago, carmel34 said:

This same error happened with my husband's ROC filing in May of 2021, his name was spelled incorrectly on the NOA, both the 18 and 24 month extension letters.  First he tried the online "typographical error" feature, twice, no response at all from USCIS.  Finally in May of this year he sent a letter to the USCIS address on the NOAs, explaining the error, and included copies of both NOAs, his biometrics notice (they did not let him correct the error when he went for his appointment a year ago), copy of his I-751, and photocopy of his green card.  He was hoping to get a new, corrected NOA for work and travel if needed while continuing to wait for the ROC process to play out, who knows how long that will take.  Case receipt search finally showed "name has been updated," on the USCIS website, a few weeks ago, but no corrected extension letter has been received yet.  We travelled to Canada and returned to the US with no problem, using his expired green card and the 24-month extension letter with the name error, he also had a copy of the letter he sent to USCIS and a printout of "name has been updated" status, but the CBP officer didn't even ask for them.  He also recently got a new job with no problem, using his SS card and driver's license.  The incompetence of USCIS is legendary.  They can't even get important information like the spelling of someone's name correct when they enter it into their system manually.  It's crazy!  He is going to file a N-400 in August after his 3-year mark in the USA.  We're hopeful that the name error will not cause problems with ROC and naturalization.

Thanks for sharing that. Our situation is nearly the same.

I would think as long as the A# matches, it wouldn't be an issue. And I'm always more worried about getting hassled by the airline rather than CBP!

Edited by RamonGomez

Timeline
4 hours ago, RamonGomez said:

Thanks for sharing that. Our situation is nearly the same.

I would think as long as the A# matches, it wouldn't be an issue. And I'm always more worried about getting hassled by the airline rather than CBP!

Well we are traveling within the US by airline then cruise. I'm going to ring uscis today and just see what they say! I'm going to try and send a letter too. 

5 hours ago, carmel34 said:

Why does something so simple to change seem so hard. 😕 thanks for sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.