trailmix

Help with I-864 please

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Anyhoo,

So it is now time for us to file the affidavit of support. I have a few questions I hope someone will help me out with.

1. I ordered my tax transcripts for the last 3 years from the IRS 3 weeks ago - no sign of them yet however I did 'confirm' they were sent - called them the other day. Anyway, has anyone just sent in a copy of their 2006 return in lieu of the transcript? I have no W2's etc to send and I have no U.S. income - so the income figure on the return is zero (will use assets).

2. Question 15. Country of Domicile - For those of you who are both living in another country did you enter '<country name>' or the 'U.S.' for Country of Domicile.

3. What did you send along to prove U.S. domicile? "You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status".

I asked a Canadian on here the other day, who has just been approved what they used for evidence. They just had the U.S. citizen attach a letter saying that they would be crossing the border at the same time.

Anyway just wondering what experience the rest of you have had?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1, I called IRS and ordered the transcripts over the phone, they arrived a few days later.

1a Assets are only valued at 1/3rd of income, so if relying on them by them selves 125% povertyline is 17,112, so spendable assets need to be at least 51,336.

2, USA MUST be country of domicile to even fill out I-864, if not you will have a problem.

3, If you have a valid US driver's license, and are receiving mail at a parent's home, then you may be able to claim your parent's home.

A good read about Domicile and IRS return requirements.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It took almost a month for the IRS to send me my transcripts so I had to send my tax returns with the W-2's. But you will get them eventually.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I am currently living in Brazil with my husband, and I am dealing with the same issues... I don´t honestly have concrete answers, but am exploring these issues as well.

As far as proving income and intent to return to the US, I am planning on getting a letter from my former employer stating that I intend to return to work there once I return to the US with my husband.

Good luck, and update us with any info you find out. I will do the same.

USCIS

August 16, 2007: Filed 1-130 at VSC for CR-1 Visa

December 21, 2007: NOA1 issued (I-130 now at CSC)

February 27, 2008: NOA2 issued

NVC

March 07, 2008: NVC case # received

March 26, 2008: Fee bills arrive

April 01, 2008: Fee bills paid

April 11, 2008: NVC processes fee bill payments

April 24, 2008: AOS and DS-230 requests arrive from NVC

May 13, 2008: Completed AOS and DS-230 packages sent to NVC

May 23, 2008: RFE for Police Certificate (even though all original docs were sent!)

June 30, 2008: Checklist Letter Response received at NVC (new documents)

July 8, 2008: Case complete

July 16, 2008: Case forwarded to Consulate

US CONSULATE - RIO DE JANEIRO

July 22, 2008: Case arrives at Consulate

July 24, 2008: Medical Exam

August 14, 2008: INTERVIEW! Visa issued!

August 18, 2008: Received immigrant visa and document package via DHL

January 16, 2009: Enter US at LAX POE

1-751 JOINT PETITION

November 5, 2010: Mailed file for 1-751 Removal of Conditions

November 6, 2010: Petition package arrival at CSC [check cashed on 11/10/10]

November 12, 2010: NOA1 received

December 14, 2010: Biometrics appointment

February 11, 2011: Approval of Removal of Conditions

Filed: Timeline
I am currently living in Brazil with my husband, and I am dealing with the same issues... I don´t honestly have concrete answers, but am exploring these issues as well.

As far as proving income and intent to return to the US, I am planning on getting a letter from my former employer stating that I intend to return to work there once I return to the US with my husband.

Good luck, and update us with any info you find out. I will do the same.

Same here. We are both living in Canada since Bren is a grad student, but always with the intention of returning... as soon as we get the visa!!! We're just waiting for that, really.

London is well-known for being lenient to those DCF folk re-establishing domicile. I presented a package that included proof of a US bank account, a letter from the Social Security Administration addressed to me at my parents' house, a letter from my boss in the UK saying that I had tendered an informal resignation dependent on the visa being approved, and emails from a prospective employer who is headhunting me. It wasn't very difficult at all, although I realise those at other embassies might not have such an easy ride.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline
London is well-known for being lenient to those DCF folk re-establishing domicile. I presented a package that included proof of a US bank account, a letter from the Social Security Administration addressed to me at my parents' house, a letter from my boss in the UK saying that I had tendered an informal resignation dependent on the visa being approved, and emails from a prospective employer who is headhunting me. It wasn't very difficult at all, although I realise those at other embassies might not have such an easy ride.

Oh yes, we're also adding to the file the letter the IRS sent to my in laws address in Mercer Island acknowledging receipt of Bren's tax returns.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh yes, we're also adding to the file the letter the IRS sent to my in laws address in Mercer Island acknowledging receipt of Bren's tax returns.

Hi Trailmix (and other VJers)

This whole question of I-864 and domicile seems to be a popular topic!! I've ranted in the past how ridiculous this whole issue for those of us who file DCF.

If neither of you have US cased income, I would still fill out your foreign-based income converted to USD in the section asking your current income. I'm assuming your current income (converted to USD) exceeds the poverty guidelines. I'm also assuming you still filed USA tax returns with the IRS while living abroad. Because you live abroad, you probably didn't have to pay much or any USA taxes due to tax credits.

No-one will look at your application closely prior to your interview. You just don't want to raise an eyebrow during the initial screening. You don't want to enter $0 for your current income. You should also properly fill out the assets portion and supply proof, I think they ask for 6 months worth of statements. If you don't have USA based income, they will ask you more specifically at the interview. That's what we did, and we got approved no problem.

To prove domicile, a US driver's license helps ALOT!! Other things to bring (if available), proof of selling your current home, purchase of a new home in the States, job offer letter, voting record, IRS tax returns. The only thing we had from the above list was USA tax returns. My wife still maintained USA bank accounts and investment accounts, so we brought proof of those. We also supplied emails from real estate agents and headhunters to show that we were moving back. DCF in Canada is pretty lenient with the domicile issue. Note: we had my in-law's address in the States for "our" mailing address.

PS. Always state your country of domicile as the USA. You were just living abroad to meet your wife, or to gain work experience, or to go to school, etc etc. Find an excuse, any excuse.

Good luck,

Matt

Anyhoo,

So it is now time for us to file the affidavit of support. I have a few questions I hope someone will help me out with.

1. I ordered my tax transcripts for the last 3 years from the IRS 3 weeks ago - no sign of them yet however I did 'confirm' they were sent - called them the other day. Anyway, has anyone just sent in a copy of their 2006 return in lieu of the transcript? I have no W2's etc to send and I have no U.S. income - so the income figure on the return is zero (will use assets).

2. Question 15. Country of Domicile - For those of you who are both living in another country did you enter '<country name>' or the 'U.S.' for Country of Domicile.

3. What did you send along to prove U.S. domicile? "You intend in good faith to reestablish your domicile in the United States no later than the date of the intending immigrant's admission or adjustment of status".

We submitted our 2006 tax return (1040) rather than a transcript. I had the 2005 and 2004 tax returns handy just in case too. We had no W2s and we also had no US income - all our income was foreign earned. We put zero in as our US income.

We had no problems.

Mike and Jill's I-130 timeline

9 Jan 2007 - sent application for police record

11 Jan 2007 - posted I-130 off

17 Jan 2007 - I-130 officially filed

22 Feb 2007 - Mike received official job offer in the US

13 Apr 2007 - I-130 approved

21 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received

23 Apr 2007 - posted packet 3 to Embassy

25 Apr 2007 - packet 3 received at Embassy PO box

30 Apr 2007 - medical in London

30 Apr 2007 - received packet 4

7 Jun 2007 - interview - visa approved :-)))

9 Jun 2007 - received visa and mystery brown envelope

30 Jun 2007 - planning to move to US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I called the IRS back last week and had them fax me the last 3 years transcripts - the hard copy apparently mailed over 4 weeks ago has never arrived.

For question 15 on the I-864 I am putting U.S. for domicile, including a letter stating I have a U.S. bank account, the address where we are going to live in the U.S. and a note stating that we will enter the U.S. at the same time.

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

1a Assets are only valued at 1/3rd of income, so if relying on them by them selves 125% povertyline is 17,112, so spendable assets need to be at least 51,336.

I am totally NOT getting this poverty guideline thing if what you've written is true! Please help! How does 125% = 51, 336?

Thank you.

I am totally NOT getting this poverty guideline thing if what you've written is true! Please help! How does 125% = 51, 336?

Thank you.

For a household of 2, an income of $17,112 is needed. If there is no income, assets totalling $51,336 USD are accepted instead.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

My husband has a big doubt about the affidavit, I was wondering if you have inputs....

According to his last taxes he's made $32,000

BUT

He hasn't worked this year because he's here in Brazil. He plans on getting a job in the states in September, when he's going back.

So, under the question of Annual Income what do we put?

We're planning on getting his mom as joint-sponsor, just in case... but still, what should we put there?

I appreciate any comments!

Thank you!!!!

;)

"Não me lembro mais do teu amor e no entanto te adivinho atrás de todas as janelas." (NERUDA, P.)

• 10-06-04 - We met online
  • 04-24-05 - I traveled to the US
  • 05-14-05 - We met in person
  • 05-25-06 - I came back to Brazil
  • 09-25-06 - He moved to Brazil
  • 02-13-07 - He proposed!!!
  • 07-04-07 - We signed papers on the Civil Registration Office and are legally married!
  • 07-09-07 - I changed my name on a new passport
  • 07-16-07 - Traveled to São Paulo and filled for the I-130
  • 08-14-07 - Received Pack 3
  • 09-20-07 - Appointment at the Doctor in Curitiba
  • 09-24-07 - Tom went back to the US - his student visa expired :-(
  • 10-16-07 - Sent DS-2001 to the Consulate in Rio
  • 10-19-07 - Tracking says Packet 3 was received by the Consulate in Rio
  • 10-20-07 - Got Tom's I-864 and supporting documents through the mail
  • 11-12-07 - Got Packet 4!!!!! Interview on November 21st!
  • 11-21-07 - Got the Visa!!!!! Easier than a walk in the park!
  • 12-30-07 - GRU - SFO
  • 12-31-07 - Got to SFO and Tom was there waiting!
  • 02-12-08 - Welcome Letter came - about 3, actually!!
  • 02-16-08 - Green Card in hands!!!!
  • 12-03-08 - Found out we are pregnant!!!!!
  • 03-26-09 - It's a Girl!
  • 07-28-09 - Berlin Cecilia - 6lb7oz, 19in
  • 10-05-09 - Mail I-751 to CSC
  • 10-14-09 - NOA 1 - Free to work and travel!!
  • 10-19-09 - NOA 2 - Biometrics Schedule
  • 11-10-09 - Biometrics Appointment

nH1um8.png

Hey guys!

My husband has a big doubt about the affidavit, I was wondering if you have inputs....

According to his last taxes he's made $32,000

BUT

He hasn't worked this year because he's here in Brazil. He plans on getting a job in the states in September, when he's going back.

So, under the question of Annual Income what do we put?

We're planning on getting his mom as joint-sponsor, just in case... but still, what should we put there?

I appreciate any comments!

Thank you!!!!

;)

If he is currently unemployed, his annual income is $0. You will definitely need a joint sponsor.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

Silly doubt about the I-864... my husband and I are wondering if any of the signatures on it has to be certified! :wacko:

We were going through the instructions last night and checking what it is that his mom needs to gather - she will be our joint-sponsor... and all of a sudden we found a paragraph there stating something about "the Affidavit of Support certified signatures"... now we have this doubt!

Anyone remember having to certify their signatures before sending the form to their spouses so she/he could take it to the embassy in Rio de Janeiro?

Also, does any of the document copies that goes along with Form I-864 have to be cetified? It all seems to be simple copies, but just in case, it won't kill me to ask, right? Hehehehe! :lol:

I appreciate, you guys' been real good :help: for us!! ;)

Mila

"Não me lembro mais do teu amor e no entanto te adivinho atrás de todas as janelas." (NERUDA, P.)

• 10-06-04 - We met online
  • 04-24-05 - I traveled to the US
  • 05-14-05 - We met in person
  • 05-25-06 - I came back to Brazil
  • 09-25-06 - He moved to Brazil
  • 02-13-07 - He proposed!!!
  • 07-04-07 - We signed papers on the Civil Registration Office and are legally married!
  • 07-09-07 - I changed my name on a new passport
  • 07-16-07 - Traveled to São Paulo and filled for the I-130
  • 08-14-07 - Received Pack 3
  • 09-20-07 - Appointment at the Doctor in Curitiba
  • 09-24-07 - Tom went back to the US - his student visa expired :-(
  • 10-16-07 - Sent DS-2001 to the Consulate in Rio
  • 10-19-07 - Tracking says Packet 3 was received by the Consulate in Rio
  • 10-20-07 - Got Tom's I-864 and supporting documents through the mail
  • 11-12-07 - Got Packet 4!!!!! Interview on November 21st!
  • 11-21-07 - Got the Visa!!!!! Easier than a walk in the park!
  • 12-30-07 - GRU - SFO
  • 12-31-07 - Got to SFO and Tom was there waiting!
  • 02-12-08 - Welcome Letter came - about 3, actually!!
  • 02-16-08 - Green Card in hands!!!!
  • 12-03-08 - Found out we are pregnant!!!!!
  • 03-26-09 - It's a Girl!
  • 07-28-09 - Berlin Cecilia - 6lb7oz, 19in
  • 10-05-09 - Mail I-751 to CSC
  • 10-14-09 - NOA 1 - Free to work and travel!!
  • 10-19-09 - NOA 2 - Biometrics Schedule
  • 11-10-09 - Biometrics Appointment

nH1um8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.