gunnert

K1 Visa & Green Card Naturalization

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi, 

I immigrated to the US on a K1 visa as a British citizen and was granted my initial two-year conditional green card which expired in May 2013, my current (2nd green) card expires in Aug 2023 and am trying to figure out the next steps for my naturalization to a US citizen. 
My matter is a tad bit more confusing, as I was married from Jan 2011 to Dec 2021 and wanted to confirm that my ex wife and K1 sponsor will have no bearing on my naturalization?
As I am now single and presuming that my ex wife and K1 sponsor has no bearing on my naturalization, would I therefore just fill out the N-400 with any relevant fee's or are there any further hurdles to anticipate?

I would really appreciate any help/advice on the matter or even being pointed to an accurate source of the relevant next steps applicable.

Thanks in advance all,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
9 hours ago, gunnert said:
Hi, 

I immigrated to the US on a K1 visa as a British citizen and was granted my initial two-year conditional green card which expired in May 2013, my current (2nd green) card expires in Aug 2023 and am trying to figure out the next steps for my naturalization to a US citizen. 
My matter is a tad bit more confusing, as I was married from Jan 2011 to Dec 2021 and wanted to confirm that my ex wife and K1 sponsor will have no bearing on my naturalization?
As I am now single and presuming that my ex wife and K1 sponsor has no bearing on my naturalization, would I therefore just fill out the N-400 with any relevant fee's or are there any further hurdles to anticipate?

I would really appreciate any help/advice on the matter or even being pointed to an accurate source of the relevant next steps applicable.

Thanks in advance all,

You have been a permanent resident since May 2011. You have been eligible for naturalization since May 2016 based on five years as a PR. Your former wife and petitioner has no bearing on your application once you reach five years as a permanent resident.  You will not have to submit any proofs of living in a bonafide marriage with her. (Ie.showing joint accounts and sharing same residence). 

The USCIS page for information on the application, fees, etc. Scroll down and study the entire page with lists, links, a video… https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.