6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone🙂, I need financial aid to study in the United States. I can't afford it, also getting a scholarship to study abroad is extremely hard here in Nigeria. I am 17years of age, and will turn 18 next year march. I'm a high school graduate (Art student), and I was born with a facial deformity which I think will make it more difficult for me to get help. Please what steps should I take to seek for help to get financial assistance/sponsorship to study in the United States for a bachelor of Arts degree?

Edited by Jani reeham

15 hours ago, Jani reeham said:

I need financial aid to study in the United States. I can't afford it, also getting a scholarship to study abroad is extremely hard here in Nigeria.

You should probably set your sights on continuing your education locally.  You are not likely to get a visa to study in the US as one of the requirements to do so is to prove that you or your family have the financial resources to support your life in the US.  Even if you get a scholarship from a US university, many scholarships cover tuition only, and you are expected to have the money to cover your living expenses.

36 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You should probably set your sights on continuing your education locally.  You are not likely to get a visa to study in the US as one of the requirements to do so is to prove that you or your family have the financial resources to support your life in the US.  Even if you get a scholarship from a US university, many scholarships cover tuition only, and you are expected to have the money to cover your living expenses.

Thank you for the response. Is it possible if someone/an individual is willing to sponsor me to study in the United States

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the US is good for going to Art school. It's also incredibly difficult to get into college, particularly if you want to do art, because you have to take standardize test and probably have an art portfolio. You should study somewhere closer to you and start looking for scholarships/internships/opportunities to show your art all over the world.

I wouldn't study art in the US unless it's in like NYC. All other places are far from museums, galleries, and art scenes. I have family members who are artists and a lot of it is connections, meeting people, mentors, and getting opportunities to show your work early and get into competitions, etc. You are never going to have those opportunities in a little college town in the middle of anywhere.

Funding for overseas students for undergrad is extremely limited in the US and almost never a full ride. You may have more luck in the UK, there  are possibly more scholarships available to you as there is sometimes Commonwealth funding from what I recall. Also a Bachelors is only 3 years in the UK vs 4 in the US so less funding is needed overall.

On 7/1/2022 at 10:35 AM, Jani reeham said:

Thank you for the response. Is it possible if someone/an individual is willing to sponsor me to study in the United States

Taking accommodation etc into account as well as flights to and from the US, you’re probably looking at somewhere between $250 000 -$350 000 to fund four years of undergrad depending on college. You might find a particularly generous individual to help, but unfortunately I don’t think it’s likely. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.