Kai G. Llewellyn

Gaining Canadian Citizenship after becoming a US LPR - Success!

159 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/28/2022 at 12:28 AM, jpfashizzle said:

Hi @From_CAN_2_US, and @VIR CHAMP, seems like we are all in the same boat?! (I.e., Indian Citizen, Canadian PR/awaiting Canadian Citizenship Oath, Immigrating to the USA).

I thought I'd share my plans here so that we all can help each other:

1. I will be travelling to the USA this week on my US Immigrant Visa (with Canadian PR card in-hand)

2. I will notify IRCC of my US Immigration immediately after, as per @Kai G. Llewellyn's advice

3. I will await my Canadian Oath Ceremony invite (I feel/hope it is imminent as per current trends), and travel back to Canada to take it.

4. The plan is to request expediting of my Citizenship Certificate, then do the same at Service Canada for my Canadian Passport (I know, a LOT has to fall in place)

5. Travel back to the US on my US Passport with my *already-Stamped* US Immigrant Visa (this is in case my US Green Card has not already been received)

6. Notify USCIS of my Citizenship change from Indian to Canadian

Please let me know if you guys think my approach is reasonable?

Thanks!

Your plan reads to be sound.

Saw your correction from US passport to Indian passport. Still a sound plan.

Timeline
On 9/28/2022 at 8:54 PM, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

Plan looks good to me. If your citz cert is not expedited it'll take 2.5 weeks to show up after the ceremony.

This didn't impact me as I'm a UK citizen which allows multiple nationality. I know that isn't the case for Indian citizens, though I also understand there is a grace period where you can travel on an Indian passport for an indeterminate length. So I don't know if that impacts traveling on an endorsed IV if the passport is invalidated.

Your Indian passport does not get invalidated automatically once acquiring Canadian (or any other) citizenship. An Indian citizen has to voluntary renounce their citizenship and give up their passport. They remain a citizen until that point. The only thing is penalties apply if renouncing after certain time of acquiring the other citizenship and/ or if travel was done using the Indian passport.

OP need not worry about this though, because of the grace period you mentioned. The plan is all above board…

6 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Your Indian passport does not get invalidated automatically once acquiring Canadian (or any other) citizenship. An Indian citizen has to voluntary renounce their citizenship and give up their passport. They remain a citizen until that point. The only thing is penalties apply if renouncing after certain time of acquiring the other citizenship and/ or if travel was done using the Indian passport.

OP need not worry about this though, because of the grace period you mentioned. The plan is all above board…

Thanks @From_CAN_2_US!! Really helpful information, appreciate your inputs.

• 1 month later...

Hi @From_CAN_2_US, @VIR CHAMP, @jpfashizzle

Seems like I'm in the same boat as well (i.e., Indian Citizen, Canadian PR/awaiting Canadian Citizenship Oath, Immigrated to the US as a LPR). Once Canadian citizenship has been granted, have you looked into the feasibility of -

(i) Renouncing Indian Citizenship from the US assuming you are now living in the US as LPRs

(ii) Applying for the OCI booklet from the US

In a recent chat I had with someone that works at the CGI-NY outpost, I was given mixed information that the two tasks I listed above will need to be done in Canada and not from the US. Can anyone that may have looked into this detail chime in?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

NK

Edited by Maverick_TO

7 hours ago, Maverick_TO said:

Seems like I'm in the same boat as well (i.e., Indian Citizen, Canadian PR/awaiting Canadian Citizenship Oath, Immigrated to the US as a LPR). Once Canadian citizenship has been granted, have you looked into the feasibility of -

(i) Renouncing Indian Citizenship from the US assuming you are now living in the US as LPRs

In a recent chat I had with someone that works at the CGI-NY outpost, I was given mixed information that the two tasks I listed above will need to be done in Canada and not from the US. Can anyone that may have looked into this detail chime in?

NK

Great to have another in the same boat @Maverick_TO !

I have not looked into this, but I do not see how it matters. If you are a US LPR and a Canadian Citizen, you are informing India that you are no longer an Indian Citizen and wish to apply for an OCI. That seems simple enough?

Why does it matter WHERE you apply for OCI? (Maybe I'm missing something here?) That being said, I do want to inform USCIS that I am no longer an Indian Citizen and now a Canadian Citizen - for them to update in their records, i.e. so there is not confusion when I travel In/Out from the US and when I eventually apply for a US Citizenship.

Edited by jpfashizzle

13 hours ago, jpfashizzle said:

I have not looked into this, but I do not see how it matters. If you are a US LPR and a Canadian Citizen, you are informing India that you are no longer an Indian Citizen and wish to apply for an OCI. That seems simple enough?

Why does it matter WHERE you apply for OCI? (Maybe I'm missing something here?) That being said, I do want to inform USCIS that I am no longer an Indian Citizen and now a Canadian Citizen - for them to update in their records, i.e. so there is not confusion when I travel In/Out from the US and when I eventually apply for a US Citizenship.

Well, as straightforward as it should be, the CGI seems to follow some antiquated rules. Apparently, they only process renunication applications for nationalized Americans in the US and for the rest, it's in the country that granted you the citizenship (Canada in this case). While this is based on a one-off conversation with an employee at the CGI-NY outpost, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually enforced.  From what I was told, granting OCI booklets lies under the jurisdiction of the corresponding CGI outpost in the country where the Indian citizenship was "renounced" (would be Canada in this case upon taking the oath)

Informing the USCIS is rather straightforward - the challenge potentially lies with renunciation if what i was told is remotely accurate

Edited by Maverick_TO

17 hours ago, Maverick_TO said:

Well, as straightforward as it should be, the CGI seems to follow some antiquated rules. Apparently, they only process renunication applications for nationalized Americans in the US and for the rest, it's in the country that granted you the citizenship (Canada in this case). While this is based on a one-off conversation with an employee at the CGI-NY outpost, I wouldn't be surprised if this is actually enforced.  From what I was told, granting OCI booklets lies under the jurisdiction of the corresponding CGI outpost in the country where the Indian citizenship was "renounced" (would be Canada in this case upon taking the oath)

Informing the USCIS is rather straightforward - the challenge potentially lies with renunciation if what i was told is remotely accurate

Thanks @Maverick_TO, really helpful information. I suppose then as everything is by mail/online, that I can just Renounce/apply for OCI via my Canadian address.

Timeline
On 11/16/2022 at 6:55 PM, Maverick_TO said:

NK

So I had the same questions and I reached out to VFS (New York).

They confirmed, as long as I have a valid status in US, I can apply for it from US. You have to provide some sort of residency proof under your name (driver’s license/hydro bill/internet bill etc.)

I have sent my application early this week, hoping to have more info. next week.

Timeline
On 11/17/2022 at 2:32 AM, jpfashizzle said:

How do you inform USCIS?

On 11/18/2022 at 2:12 PM, VIR CHAMP said:

So I had the same questions and I reached out to VFS (New York).

They confirmed, as long as I have a valid status in US, I can apply for it from US. You have to provide some sort of residency proof under your name (driver’s license/hydro bill/internet bill etc.)

I have sent my application early this week, hoping to have more info. next week.

It's gladdening to hear that we can renounce citizenship AND get the OCI booklet within the US. It's also appalling at the same time to receive contradicting information from the CGI-NY employees. At times, you just wish the staff was better informed!

Hoping your renunciation application goes through seamlessly. Please keep us updated once you're done!

Edited by Maverick_TO

On 11/18/2022 at 9:43 AM, jpfashizzle said:

Thanks @Maverick_TO, really helpful information. I suppose then as everything is by mail/online, that I can just Renounce/apply for OCI via my Canadian address.

Well, the issue with both the renunciation/OCI application (within Canada) is the processing timeline. Based on experiences that my friends have had, I was told that the entire process takes 4-6 months (1.5-2 months for renunciation + 2-3 months for the OCI booklet). This is not only awfully long, but also limits your mobility should you need to travel since E-VISAs were suspended for Canadians

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2022 at 4:28 PM, Maverick_TO said:

It's gladdening to hear that we can renounce citizenship AND get the OCI booklet within the US. It's also appalling at the same time to receive contradicting information from the CGI-NY employees. At times, you just wish the staff was better informed!

Hoping your renunciation application goes through seamlessly. Please keep us updated once you're done!

Hi @VIR CHAMP

A couple of questions -

(i) Did you get your citizenship certificate mailed out to you in the US? If yes, how long did it take and was it delivered using an overnight/express delivery? Alternatively, did you choose to receive it at an address within Canada?

(ii) Did you apply for your Canadian passport from within the US,  or did you apply from Canada? If you applied from within the US, how long did it take to get your passport?

Hope your OCI process is coming along well!

Happy Holidays!

NK

Edited by Maverick_TO

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So I received my Canadian Passport at my Canadian address. I plan on travelling to Canada with my US GC (I will let Canadian Immigration know that I am a Citizen when asked) to pick up my passport. 

My questions are:
1. Should I let US Immigration know about my obtaining a Canadian Citizenship and Passport?

2. I sent a message to USCIS via my account with them about my new Canadian Citizenship, and got a pretty useless/inapplicable response from them (see below); What is the correct way of notifying them of this change?

Regarding your Permanent Resident Card:
If your Permanent Resident Card was issued with an error, you may file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card to request a corrected card. No application fee and no biometrics fee are required if filing using the following reason: “My existing card has incorrect data because of DHS error.”

@Kai G. Llewellyn Maybe you can shed some light please? How did you notify USCIS of your obtaining Canadian Citizenship/Passport?

Thanks!

Edited by jpfashizzle

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 5:11 AM, jpfashizzle said:

Hi everyone,

So I received my Canadian Passport at my Canadian address. I plan on travelling to Canada with my US GC (I will let Canadian Immigration know that I am a Citizen when asked) to pick up my passport. 

My questions are:
1. Should I let US Immigration know about my obtaining a Canadian Citizenship and Passport?

2. I sent a message to USCIS via my account with them about my new Canadian Citizenship, and got a pretty useless/inapplicable response from them (see below); What is the correct way of notifying them of this change?

Regarding your Permanent Resident Card:
If your Permanent Resident Card was issued with an error, you may file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card to request a corrected card. No application fee and no biometrics fee are required if filing using the following reason: “My existing card has incorrect data because of DHS error.”

@Kai G. Llewellyn Maybe you can shed some light please? How did you notify USCIS of your obtaining Canadian Citizenship/Passport?

Thanks!

Yeah, I got a pretty useless message back from them too, but the important aspect is that you have made an effort to inform them, so they cannot accuse you of misrepresentation. I did the message via myUSCIS and didn't do anything more than that.

Honestly, this is more of a cover-your-backside matter more than anything that's specifically required. I am paranoid regarding immigration, there's 95% chance nothing bad would come of failing to inform them. Gaining additional citizenships does not impact LPR status in any way (i.e. many countries have laws where you could pick up their citizenship while living 100% in the US. such as citizenship by descent.)

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.