Kai G. Llewellyn

Gaining Canadian Citizenship after becoming a US LPR - Success!

160 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My spouse has his US IV interview scheduled for March 23rd and today just got notified that his Canadian citizenship oath ceremony has been scheduled for 15th March. This is the least we wanted at this time. Well, We are planning to reschedule Canadian oath ceremony as we want to complete his US interview successfully and get visa stamped. When you let IRCC know that you will not be able to attend oath ceremony on scheduled date, what reason should we provide. Telling them we have US visa interview would not make sense at this point, right?  They want the reason to be reasonable else citizenship process will be cancelled, I  believe. Also, when we ask them to reschedule, do we let them know the date that we want our ceremony to happen or they will provide is with new date? Can anyone let me know how does rescheduling work?

Also, after oath ceremony do they provide with any sort of paper work or documentation that we can carry as a proof of citizenship until citizenship certificate arrives?

How do you know your oath will be virtual or in person? Tracker got update saying "Congratulations! You have been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on March 15,  2023. Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation".  

Appreciate your response

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, F2J_March said:

Hi All,

My spouse has his US IV interview scheduled for March 23rd and today just got notified that his Canadian citizenship oath ceremony has been scheduled for 15th March. This is the least we wanted at this time. Well, We are planning to reschedule Canadian oath ceremony as we want to complete his US interview successfully and get visa stamped. When you let IRCC know that you will not be able to attend oath ceremony on scheduled date, what reason should we provide. Telling them we have US visa interview would not make sense at this point, right?  They want the reason to be reasonable else citizenship process will be cancelled, I  believe. Also, when we ask them to reschedule, do we let them know the date that we want our ceremony to happen or they will provide is with new date? Can anyone let me know how does rescheduling work?

Also, after oath ceremony do they provide with any sort of paper work or documentation that we can carry as a proof of citizenship until citizenship certificate arrives?

How do you know your oath will be virtual or in person? Tracker got update saying "Congratulations! You have been scheduled to attend your citizenship ceremony on March 15,  2023. Follow the instructions you will receive in your ceremony invitation".  

Appreciate your response

Are you a citizen of a country that does not permit multiple citizenships?

If you are a citizen of a country that permits it, you can become a Canadian citizen without impacting your IV interview as your original passport will remain valid. If you are not a citizen of such a country, you will have to check your country's rules regarding passport validity upon gaining a foreign citizenship.

If your passport will become invalid due to you becoming a citizen, then you ought to delay your ceremony. I had my ceremony 9 months after I became a LPR, so delaying shouldn't be an issue.

Alternatively, you can ask them to expedite the dispatch of your citizenship certificate and then apply for an urgent passport appointment. You can get a passport on a same-day service for emergent needs, but it would be cutting things close.

If your citizenship changes before your IV interview, you should notify the consular officer as such as your DS-260 will not have that info on it.

I don't believe IRCC has resumed in-person ceremonies yet, but I could be wrong on that front. I think they're all virtual. You must be physically in Canada during the ceremony.

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

@Kai G. Llewellyn Thank you forvur response. My answers in bold below.

Are you a citizen of a country that does not permit multiple citizenships?

Yes, thats correct

If you are a citizen of a country that permits it, you can become a Canadian citizen without impacting your IV interview as your original passport will remain valid. If you are not a citizen of such a country, you will have to check your country's rules regarding passport validity upon gaining a foreign citizenship.

Unfortunately, just contacted embassy of my country and got to know that passport does not become valid and we lose current citizenship as soon as we acquire citizenship from different country.

If your passport will become invalid due to you becoming a citizen, then you ought to delay your ceremony. I had my ceremony 9 months after I became a LPR, so delaying shouldn't be an issue.

We plan to postpond oath for now and complete US process. So when we send an email to postpond oath, do we tell them when do we want a new date for oath or they will send date as it become available? Do we even have options to tell them when do we want to proceed with oath ceremony?

Alternatively, you can ask them to expedite the dispatch of your citizenship certificate and then apply for an urgent passport appointment. You can get a passport on a same-day service for emergent needs, but it would be cutting things close.

This might not be good option because of tight timeline and current location we are. 

@Kai G. Llewellyn  @jpfashizzle @VIR CHAMP @Maverick_TO @can_2_us

1.Does letting the CO know of the changes in citizenship at the interview causes delay in approving the IV?

2.If principal applicant citizenship is intact but the dependent applicant on DS 260 citizenship status changes that needs to be informed at the IV interview, will it affect the principal applicant's situation in making a decision for IV approval?

Everyday is seeming more chaotic until the interview is done. Thanks for any valuable inputs!

3 minutes ago, ACC24 said:

@Kai G. Llewellyn  @jpfashizzle @VIR CHAMP @Maverick_TO @can_2_us

1.Does letting the CO know of the changes in citizenship at the interview causes delay in approving the IV?

2.If principal applicant citizenship is intact but the dependent applicant on DS 260 citizenship status changes that needs to be informed at the IV interview, will it affect the principal applicant's situation in making a decision for IV approval?

Everyday is seeming more chaotic until the interview is done. Thanks for any valuable inputs!

Why would you inform the CO about citizenship change if it has not even happened yet? You are still, in fact, an Indian citizen. 

Note: This assumption is going by your earlier post where you stated that you will still schedule/reschedule your Oath after immigrating to the US.

1 minute ago, jpfashizzle said:

Why would you inform the CO about citizenship change if it has not even happened yet? You are still, in fact, an Indian citizen. 

Note: This assumption is going by your earlier post where you stated that you will still schedule/reschedule your Oath after immigrating to the US.

Yes, that's my situation. My spouse received Canadian oath ceremony date before IV interview and we are debating if she should attend the oath ceremony, expedite to get citizenship certificate and if possible Canadian passport before attending the IV interview ( she has 2 weeks in hand between oath and IV interview). We are thinking of all possible situations that could happen and want to take the best route of action

1 minute ago, ACC24 said:

Yes, that's my situation. My spouse received Canadian oath ceremony date before IV interview and we are debating if she should attend the oath ceremony, expedite to get citizenship certificate and if possible Canadian passport before attending the IV interview ( she has 2 weeks in hand between oath and IV interview). We are thinking of all possible situations that could happen and want to take the best route of action

My personal view is 2 weeks is too short a period of time to accomplish all of those things. And IF you are able to achieve success, you still have the challenge of the change of citizenship that you mentioned earlier.

Timeline

I'm definitely minded that @ACC24 should delay their oath. I don't think IRCC has any issue with asking for a different date. People need to change dates for all manner of reasons, obviously ones job could throw the spanner in the works, so IRCC would be understanding.

If you delay your oath, you will need to wait for IRCC to give you a new date.

No idea if the CO would delay issuance if your citizenship changed. When I started this thread my experience was vastly different. In that I became a citizen -after- becoming a LPR, not sandwitched just before the IV interview, and my country allows multiple citizenships. So my guidance is going to be somewhat limited.

It basically comes down to

- You need a valid passport to obtain an IV. Your country's consular staff should confirm regarding validity.

- You need a valid passport to enter the US with your IV. I don't know if you can change citz between Interview and PoE. I strongly advise against it as your IV does notate your nationality.

- You can have your Canadian citizenship ceremony at any time before or after the interview and PoE.

- You must maintain Canadian PR to become a citizen and comply with the residency obligation of 2 years in Canada in a rolling 5 year period.

- If you become non-compliant with the RO, you should expect a denial of your Canadian Citizenship application and won't get a ceremony. This applies even if your app is approved and you are awaiting your ceremony.

- Canada does not care where you live to become a citizen. You must just be a Canadian PR and have 3 years out of a rolling 5 year period in Canada before signing your application.

- The 3 in 5 year requirement no longer applies once your application is submitted. If, however, it gets denied, you must regain 3 in 5 before submitting a new application.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

58 minutes ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

I'm definitely minded that @ACC24 should delay their oath. I don't think IRCC has any issue with asking for a different date. People need to change dates for all manner of reasons, obviously ones job could throw the spanner in the works, so IRCC would be understanding.

If you delay your oath, you will need to wait for IRCC to give you a new date.

No idea if the CO would delay issuance if your citizenship changed. When I started this thread my experience was vastly different. In that I became a citizen -after- becoming a LPR, not sandwitched just before the IV interview, and my country allows multiple citizenships. So my guidance is going to be somewhat limited.

It basically comes down to

- You need a valid passport to obtain an IV. Your country's consular staff should confirm regarding validity - India does not allow multiple citizenship, so our passports become invalid once we take another country citizenship.

- You need a valid passport to enter the US with your IV. I don't know if you can change citz between Interview and PoE. I strongly advise against it as your IV does notate your nationality.

- You can have your Canadian citizenship ceremony at any time before or after the interview and PoE - That's the plan!

- You must maintain Canadian PR to become a citizen and comply with the residency obligation of 2 years in Canada in a rolling 5 year period - Yes, we are very aware of this and hopefully our timeline even after getting IV approved allows us to take the Canadian citizenship with valid PR 

- If you become non-compliant with the RO, you should expect a denial of your Canadian Citizenship application and won't get a ceremony. This applies even if your app is approved and you are awaiting your ceremony.

- Canada does not care where you live to become a citizen. You must just be a Canadian PR and have 3 years out of a rolling 5 year period in Canada before signing your application.

- The 3 in 5 year requirement no longer applies once your application is submitted. If, however, it gets denied, you must regain 3 in 5 before submitting a new application.

Thanks for reconfirming on all possible scenarios  and we feel more confident to go ahead with our decision to reschedule my spouse's oath ceremony as well. We cannot control what happens at the IV interview other than hoping all works in our favor. I can simply vouch that you provide more clarity & confidence than most attorneys out there for most of us stuck in unique situations :)

2 hours ago, jpfashizzle said:

My personal view is 2 weeks is too short a period of time to accomplish all of those things. And IF you are able to achieve success, you still have the challenge of the change of citizenship that you mentioned earlier.

Thanks much, we were leaning more towards rescheduling my spouse's oath and I think that's the best option now.

@Kai G. Llewellyn:  "If, however, it gets denied, you must regain 3 in 5 before submitting a new application"

What do you mean by regain 3 in 5.  All those days/ years that we stayed in canada will be zero and we again need to stay 3 more years out of 5 to apply for canadian citizenship. Cant we just reapply if it gets denied? I am confused.

On 2/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, jpfashizzle said:

I flew in. No uncomfortable questions at all - How long are you here for? What are you here for? OK, welcome...

As an update to all re my travel back to the US from Pearson using my new Canadian Passport: I got my picture taken, presented my Canadian Passport and US Green Card to CBP. They asked me where I am going in the US, and why. I answered truthfully that I am going to ####, I live there as a US PR. They looked at my Passport and GC, asked if I had any produce (No), and then I was on my way. The whole process was 10 seconds max.

I do still feel I need to contact USCIS and get a new GC with my new/correct Nationality (Canadian) b/c my current GC says Indian (as I was an Indian national when I received my US PR/Immigrant Visa and also when I immigrated to the US).

Thank You @Kai G. Llewellyn for all of you guidance!

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2023 at 3:36 PM, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

I've re-entered Canada as a citizen with my LPR card alone. If they asked my citizenship, I said I was a Canadian. They let me in. I additionally advised them I was entering specifically to apply for a Canadian passport.

Generally if you have a LPR card you can be boarded onto a flight to Canada without additional documentation. Once you're in front of a border officer, you claim Canadian citizenship and they have to let you in. Having the citizenship certificate helps, but is not required.

You are not required to exit the country with the same document you entered on.

Hi @Kai G. Llewellyn @jpfashizzle

Considering that you entered Canada to apply for your Canadian passport using the LPR card, I had a few questions-

(i) Did you use an expired LPR card to enter Canada? I'm assuming that was the case since you must have cut up the LPR card during the citizenship oath. Also, did you enter at a land border or at an airport?

(ii) Since you need to list addresses for the last 2 years on the passport application form, did you put a US address (assuming you reside in the US) in the passport application? My hunch is if I apply from within Canada (which I'm planning on doing ), listing a US address may cause the passport to be mailed out to the US (which I'd like to avoid). I do have a mailing address in Canada that I could list, but I've been physically residing in the US for a while now.

Ideally, I'd like to collect the passport during my stay in Canada and return back to the US with the Canadian passport. Do you foresee any hitches with my approach -

(a) Enter Canada on the US Green card (flying in)

(b) Apply for the Canadian passport from within Canada

(c) Stay in Canada while the application is in flight and collect the passport

(d) Depart from Canada and enter the US on the Canadian passport and green card

Considering that I will be traveling over this weekend, I'd really appreciate your inputs prior to my trip.

Best Regards,

NK

1 hour ago, Maverick_TO said:

A few corrections along with responses to your points (as best as I can):

Considering that you entered Canada to apply for your Canadian passport using the LPR card, I had a few questions- I entered to pick up my passport. I had already applied for my Canadian Passport from Canada right after my Oath/getting my Certificate when I was visiting in Dec'22.

(i) Did you use an expired LPR card to enter Canada? I'm assuming that was the case since you must have cut up the LPR card during the citizenship oath. Also, did you enter at a land border or at an airport? Used my US Green Card to enter Canada / Airport

(ii) Since you need to list addresses for the last 2 years on the passport application form, did you put a US address (assuming you reside in the US) in the passport application? My hunch is if I apply from within Canada (which I'm planning on doing ), listing a US address may cause the passport to be mailed out to the US (which I'd like to avoid). I do have a mailing address in Canada that I could list, but I've been physically residing in the US for a while now. It's up to you what addresses you will put on there. They ask you for your current address and separately where you want the Passport to be mailed to. 

Ideally, I'd like to collect the passport during my stay in Canada and return back to the US with the Canadian passport. Do you foresee any hitches with my approach -

(a) Enter Canada on the US Green card (flying in) Do not see an issue here.

(b) Apply for the Canadian passport from within Canada Do not see an issue here.

(c) Stay in Canada while the application is in flight and collect the passport Do not see an issue here.

(d) Depart from Canada and enter the US on the Canadian passport and green card Do not see an issue here (this is what I did).

Considering that I will be traveling over this weekend, I'd really appreciate your inputs prior to my trip.

Best Regards,

NK

Edited by jpfashizzle

Timeline
On 2/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, F2J_March said:

@Kai G. Llewellyn:  "If, however, it gets denied, you must regain 3 in 5 before submitting a new application"

What do you mean by regain 3 in 5.  All those days/ years that we stayed in canada will be zero and we again need to stay 3 more years out of 5 to apply for canadian citizenship. Cant we just reapply if it gets denied? I am confused.

As in, if you have been out of Canada a lot during your application being pending and you no longer have 3 years of physical presence in Canada over the 5 years prior to signing the application, you will need to spend time in Canada. You must have 1095 days in Canada over the past 5 years immediately before signing your application. If you're making a new application, then the requirement applies again.

1 hour ago, Maverick_TO said:

Considering that you entered Canada to apply for your Canadian passport using the LPR card, I had a few questions-

(i) Did you use an expired LPR card to enter Canada? I'm assuming that was the case since you must have cut up the LPR card during the citizenship oath. Also, did you enter at a land border or at an airport?

(ii) Since you need to list addresses for the last 2 years on the passport application form, did you put a US address (assuming you reside in the US) in the passport application? My hunch is if I apply from within Canada (which I'm planning on doing ), listing a US address may cause the passport to be mailed out to the US (which I'd like to avoid). I do have a mailing address in Canada that I could list, but I've been physically residing in the US for a while now.

(a) Enter Canada on the US Green card (flying in)

(b) Apply for the Canadian passport from within Canada

(c) Stay in Canada while the application is in flight and collect the passport

(d) Depart from Canada and enter the US on the Canadian passport and green card

Best Regards,

NK

LPR card refers to a green card. Canada does not use the term 'Lawful Permanent Residence' - Yes I put my US address on my PP application. no issue, you're a citizen and entitled to apply and receive a passport. You can specify to them how you want to receive your passport. I got mine in person, but they will send out to the US if you want.

Regarding your scenarios

a. No issue. A green card and any foreign passport is sufficient to be boarded on a flight to Canada. If you don't have a foreign passport because you lost your original nationality, you will need to get a Canadian passport to be boarded. As I'm a British citizen too, I could always use my British Passport and Green Card to be boarded on a plane, regardless of my Canadian citizenship. This is a special privilege that Canada has given to Green Card holders in that they don't require an eTA now.

b. This is fine, you're free to apply within Canada. I did as a non-resident.

c. This is fine, you're a citizen and have a right to reside anywhere in Canada as long as you like. You can depart Canada and return while it's being processed too. If you try to enter without a passport, just use your green card at the land border and claim Canadian citizenship. You may be delayed but ultimately they have to let you back in per Sec. 6 of the Charter.

d. You don't even need the passport to reenter the US, a valid green card alone is sufficient.

There are fewer documentary requirements at the land border, as when you are in front of a CBSA officer, you are on Canadian soil and Charter rights apply. Air carriers are not subject to Sec 6 rights as their determination to board you is on foreign soil.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.