Maury&I

Official Colombian Police Report Rejected With No Explanation

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Hello VisaJourney Members,
Seeking some advice from others that might have had a similar experience. Received an email from NVC about documents rejections that were submitted online for her CR1, spouse visa. My wife, Venezuelan but living in Ecuador, had to submit 3 different Police reports from the 3 different Latin American countries she has lived in. For whatever reason, they rejected her Colombia Police Report and in our NVC account email, there wasn't an explanation to why it was rejected. It's an official police report she acquired from the Colombia government website. All of the documents were translated by an official Spanish translator and none of the other documents, police reports were rejected. Will they mail out a letter telling us why it was rejected. I, US American, had a rejected financial document but they explained why my document was rejected in our NVC email and thankfully, it was an easy correction. Obviously we don't want anything to slow down the process anymore than it already is and i believe now this is the only issue preventing us from moving forward. All other submitted documents have been approved. 
Here's a copy of what we submitted if this my help anyone recognize an issue.
Thanks for anyone's advice and knowledge.

BlackedOutColombiaPoliceReport.jpg

Timeline
On 6/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, JeanneAdil said:

Sending the English translation would help

You mean to post the English translated police report here, also? All documents were translated into English by a certified English/Spanish translator and were submitted to NVC, along with the other documents that required to be translated. 

I don’t understand what you posted but you can see how it compares to what is required here 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Colombia.html

Police Certificates

Available. Yes. To those 18 and older.

Fees: There are no fees.

Document Name: Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales.

Issuing Authority: Ministerio de Defensa Nacional – Policía Nacional de Colombia.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The police record can be printed from the Policía Nacional de Colombia website.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel.

Registration Criteria: There are no registration criteria.

Procedure for Obtaining: All applicants who are 18 years or older must provide a Colombian Police Certificate, called Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales. Applicants may obtain police certificates online at policia.gov Police certificates have a validity of one year. Colombians receive their permanent cédula (national ID) number when they turn 18; applicants younger than 18 are not required to obtain a Police Certificate.

Any applicant who has a police record that states "Actualmente no es requirido por autoridad judicial alguna" (in English, "currently not wanted by any judicial authority") must bring their complete court records, along with an English translation, to the embassy on the day of their interview. Applicants who fail to bring these court records and the English translation will be required to return to the embassy for a second interview.

Additionally, individuals who have lived in the United States without legal permission and/or applicants who unsuccessfully applied for asylum should obtain their report of entry and exits ("certificado de movimientos migratorios") from Colombia. Applicants can obtain this report from Migración Colombia at migracioncolombia.gov.

Third country nationals who hold foreigner identification cards (Cédulas de Extranjeria, C.E.) can obtain Colombian criminal records online through the Colombian National Police website policia.gov by entering their C.E. number.

If a third country national resides legally in Colombia but does not have a C.E., he/she can go to the following address in person to request a criminal records certificate:

Carrera 27#18-41
Monday -Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 
Telephone: 408-8000 x3637

Third country nationals who do not have a C.E. must bring:

1) A letter addressed to the Colombian National Police requesting the certificate;
2) A copy of his/her foreigner identification card (if any) and/or evidence of legal entry into Colombia;
3) Their passport.

There is no charge for this process.  This process must be carried out in person.

Criminal record certificates are not issued to third country nationals who are unlawfully present in Colombia.  They must go to Migración Colombia and legalize their stay before the Colombian National Police will issue a certificate.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are not available.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions: None

Comments: Please send a copy of the police certificate to the National Visa Center. 

Timeline
On 6/15/2022 at 9:15 AM, Maury&I said:
Hello VisaJourney Members,
Seeking some advice from others that might have had a similar experience. Received an email from NVC about documents rejections that were submitted online for her CR1, spouse visa. My wife, Venezuelan but living in Ecuador, had to submit 3 different Police reports from the 3 different Latin American countries she has lived in. For whatever reason, they rejected her Colombia Police Report and in our NVC account email, there wasn't an explanation to why it was rejected. It's an official police report she acquired from the Colombia government website. All of the documents were translated by an official Spanish translator and none of the other documents, police reports were rejected. Will they mail out a letter telling us why it was rejected. I, US American, had a rejected financial document but they explained why my document was rejected in our NVC email and thankfully, it was an easy correction. Obviously we don't want anything to slow down the process anymore than it already is and i believe now this is the only issue preventing us from moving forward. All other submitted documents have been approved. 
Here's a copy of what we submitted if this my help anyone recognize an issue.
Thanks for anyone's advice and knowledge.

BlackedOutColombiaPoliceReport.jpg

BlackedOutEnglishTranslatedColombiaPoliceReport.jpg

Here's the English Colombia Police report translated copy that was submitted. 

3 hours ago, Maury&I said:

But is this the same thing as the “Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales.”, which is what is required? I don’t see that title anywhere on the document? Was the procedure outlined in the official link above followed? 

3 hours ago, Maury&I said:

BlackedOutEnglishTranslatedColombiaPoliceReport.jpg

Did you follow this procedure and request Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales. or Constancia de Antecedentes?

Non-citizens not resident

Online certificates are not available for non-Colombian citizens who live or have lived in Colombia. A police report ‘Constancia de Antecedentes’ should be requested from the Colombian police (Policia Nacional) by emailing: dijin.araic-atc@policia.gov.co or by contacting your nearest Colombian Consulate.

Documents required

• a copy of your passport bio-data page
  • a copy of your Colombian ID card (if applicable)
  • letter addressed to the Colombian police specifying:
    • your nationality
    • Colombian ID number (if applicable)
    • passport number
    • personal email address
    • contact phone number
    • requesting a police record (‘Constancia de Antecedentes’), indicating for what purpose and to whom it should be addressed to

Fee

Not applicable.

https://tramites.cancilleria.gov.co/apostillalegalizacion/solicitud/inicio.aspx

This PDF has instructions on how to obtain the PCC online (I think?) and has an example of the PCC on page 8 (if I'm not mistaken)

https://antofagasta.consulado.gov.co/sites/default/files/news/attachments/guia_para_solicitar_el_certificado_de_antecedentes_antofagasta.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 6/17/2022 at 12:39 AM, ROK2USA said:

Did you follow this procedure and request Certificado de Antecedentes Judiciales. or Constancia de Antecedentes?

Non-citizens not resident

Online certificates are not available for non-Colombian citizens who live or have lived in Colombia. A police report ‘Constancia de Antecedentes’ should be requested from the Colombian police (Policia Nacional) by emailing: dijin.araic-atc@policia.gov.co or by contacting your nearest Colombian Consulate.

Documents required

• a copy of your passport bio-data page
  • a copy of your Colombian ID card (if applicable)
  • letter addressed to the Colombian police specifying:
    • your nationality
    • Colombian ID number (if applicable)
    • passport number
    • personal email address
    • contact phone number
    • requesting a police record (‘Constancia de Antecedentes’), indicating for what purpose and to whom it should be addressed to

Fee

Not applicable.

https://tramites.cancilleria.gov.co/apostillalegalizacion/solicitud/inicio.aspx

This PDF has instructions on how to obtain the PCC online (I think?) and has an example of the PCC on page 8 (if I'm not mistaken)

https://antofagasta.consulado.gov.co/sites/default/files/news/attachments/guia_para_solicitar_el_certificado_de_antecedentes_antofagasta.pdf

My wife said this is what she did to get the Colombia Police Report. After telling the lady, that did the Spanish to English translation, the Colombian Police Report was rejected by NVC , she also reviewed and researched the document for reasons to why it was rejected and she doesn't understand,or know why, it was rejected either and she does this for a living. So we are still are lost on what we should do. 

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.