Hoanth

Never filed taxes as student, some grants income but below filing threshold

5 posts in this topic

I've been a little worried about the tax question. I've never been required to file taxes, as my income has never been more than the filing thresholds.

I've never worked and I've been either unemployed or a student in the last 5 years and so I have no tax documents (other than 1098s), but I did have some income - nearly all from school grants. Never been more than the minimum required for filing.

I'm concerned, however, that it might raise some issue at the interview, even if I attach an explanation around the lines of "I never made enough to file".

Will I have problems?

Edited by Hoanth

I can get that letter, but I've read that it's not considered proof because it only shows that I have never filed a tax return, not that I did not have to file one (so, basically equivalent to my own declaration). Right?

I was under the impression that a sponsor was not required. I do get money from my foreign family, but without a formal arrangement.

N400 (after 5 years on a DV gc). Sorry, thought it'd be implicit from this forum subsection.

• 4 weeks later...

No need to worry. If you make less than the IRS threshold, you don't need to file a tax return. See IRS publication here: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2021_publink1000220687. Make sure you read the Table 3 - Other Situations to ensure that you don't fall under any of those situations. 

Edited by iwp2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.