David54321

Affidativ & living overseas

20 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

Where did you find this information? Please provide a link. 

From the I-864 instructions:  this is from the uscis.gov website

Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit. Add together Item Numbers 6. - 8. and type or print the total number in Item Number 9. Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant’s assets. Item Number 10. Total Value of Assets. In order to qualify based on the value of your assets, the total value of your assets must equal at least five times the difference between your total household income and the current Federal Poverty Guidelines for your household size. However, if you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or child age 18 years of age or older, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. If the intending immigrant is a foreign national orphan who will be adopted in the United States after he or she acquires legal permanent residence, and who will, as a result, acquire citizenship under section 320 of the INA, the total value of your assets need only equal the difference.

This contradicts the information you found. The intending immigrant is not required to complete the I-864-A. 

you are right.

here is the link : https://citizenpath.com/faq/use-assets-i-864/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

if i read this right the foreign immigrant must show 5 times the poverty guidelines if using his assets  The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit   total value of your assets must equal at least five times 

but a USC can use 3 times the poverty guielines ????

f you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or child age 18 years of age or older, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. 

what am i missing?

would it be 3 times if the foreign assets were in the name of the USC?

10 hours ago, David54321 said:

Hi,

I would like to get your recommendation on the following point.

I intend to relocate to the US with my wife, I am french and she is an American citizen. We are both living in Europe with our child (American citizen as well) since 2015.
We passed the I-130 stage and are going to start the NVC stage.
I have a question regarding the affidavit of support. I understood that she will have to demonstrate her intention to relocate to the US with me (which should be doable as it is actually the case) in order to petition. Since we are living abroad and she is not working, she has no income to show and no assets in the US. We have assets in Europe (saving accounts) but we won't reach the 5 times rules (in our case around 140K$).
My question is the following, will we be able to introduce a joint sponsor (her entire family lives in the US)? I read on some websites that because she is not currently living in the US we won't be able to introduce a joint sponsor.
Thank you in advance for your help.
David

So, from what I seen, this is like the catch 22 thing.  You get through I-130, but then here is the Affidavit of Support hurdle that many people can't overcome.  

So, what is all about?

The U.S. Goverment does NOT want to have to end up having a person to immigrate to the U.S. to only then have the tax payer to pay for their living expenses.  So what they do here is they want someone who they can get reimbursed from for any monies that the immigrant gets from the U.S. Tax payer.  This is sort of like having your parents co-sign for your car loan. 

With this said, the U.S. Goverment does not care who co-signs, as long as someone or a group of someone does who income and/or assets are U.S. base.  After all, it's hard to garnish someone's wages in a foreign country, but they can do it real easy like in the U.S.    With this said, personally, I would NEVER co-sign for ANYONE except for my wife and small children.  

But that's me.

With that said, many in this situation has the U.S. Spouse go back to the U.S. and get a job to meet the income requirements.

Best Wishes, and good luck.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
6 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

if i read this right the foreign immigrant must show 5 times the poverty guidelines if using his assets  The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit   total value of your assets must equal at least five times 

but a USC can use 3 times the poverty guielines ????

f you are a U.S. citizen and you are sponsoring your spouse or child age 18 years of age or older, the total value of your assets must only be equal to at least three times the difference. 

what am i missing?

would it be 3 times if the foreign assets were in the name of the USC?

I think what is happening is that the clarification in the instructions for USC and spouse is not in the same paragraph that states 5X.  3X applies to the spouse of a USC, no matter which spouse has title to the assets.  That said, using assets alone, 3X is a minimum requirement, not an assurance.  The totality of circumstances is what will be considered in making the decision.

If liquid assets are between 3X and 5X, and particularly if they are barely over the 3X, a joint sponsor is probably going to be needed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 hours ago, Truth_Seeker said:

So, from what I seen, this is like the catch 22 thing.  You get through I-130, but then here is the Affidavit of Support hurdle that many people can't overcome.  

So, what is all about?

The U.S. Goverment does NOT want to have to end up having a person to immigrate to the U.S. to only then have the tax payer to pay for their living expenses.  So what they do here is they want someone who they can get reimbursed from for any monies that the immigrant gets from the U.S. Tax payer.  This is sort of like having your parents co-sign for your car loan. 

With this said, the U.S. Goverment does not care who co-signs, as long as someone or a group of someone does who income and/or assets are U.S. base.  After all, it's hard to garnish someone's wages in a foreign country, but they can do it real easy like in the U.S.    With this said, personally, I would NEVER co-sign for ANYONE except for my wife and small children.  

But that's me.

With that said, many in this situation has the U.S. Spouse go back to the U.S. and get a job to meet the income requirements.

Best Wishes, and good luck.  

Hi,

Thank you for your answer. Finding a sponsor won't be an issue, my in-laws will be more than happy to have their daughter back in the US after almost a decade in Europe. By the way, I see you are German, we are currently living in Germany...

Have a nice day

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.