EmTi

Stokes Interview

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Applying for IR1 visa.
Hello, my spouse had an interview last week, I was not allowed to attend. But they didn’t ask him much, and said they’d be in touch. The same day, the Consular called me and asked if I could attend an interview with my husband. It turned out to be a stokes interview. They had suspicions due to my lack of travel to see him a few years ago and questioned our meeting online. 
we have had a lot of time together for the last 2 years and showed several pictures of that. I also mentioned that we have bills together, a lease together, buying a new house together, and more. But they were not interested in any of that, the only thing they wanted to see were the pictures. 

so after the interview she said she has to write up her report and it could be a few weeks. My question is - has anyone gone through a stokes interview? How long does it usually take to hear back? 

17 minutes ago, EmTi said:

Applying for IR1 visa.
Hello, my spouse had an interview last week, I was not allowed to attend. But they didn’t ask him much, and said they’d be in touch. The same day, the Consular called me and asked if I could attend an interview with my husband. It turned out to be a stokes interview. They had suspicions due to my lack of travel to see him a few years ago and questioned our meeting online. 
we have had a lot of time together for the last 2 years and showed several pictures of that. I also mentioned that we have bills together, a lease together, buying a new house together, and more. But they were not interested in any of that, the only thing they wanted to see were the pictures. 

so after the interview she said she has to write up her report and it could be a few weeks. My question is - has anyone gone through a stokes interview? How long does it usually take to hear back? 

Was this interview for a visa, or for removal of conditions on a green card?

Having bills, a lease, and buying a home with someone who has not yet come to the US would be highly unusual.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Having bills, a lease, and buying a home with someone who has not yet come to the US would be highly unusual.

It was a visa Interview, not removal of conditions. 
I don’t think it’s  highly unusual. We have a lease together in Barbados where we share an apartment. We are building a house and my husband is with me on the contract. We file taxes as a married couple. Etc. 

Edited by EmTi

16 minutes ago, EmTi said:

It was a visa Interview, not removal of conditions. 
I don’t think it’s  highly unusual. We have a lease together in Barbados where we share an apartment. We are building a house and my husband is with me on the contract. We file taxes as a married couple. Etc. 

It is unusual, because most married couples going through US immigration do not live together overseas and have not been able to commingle finances in the US either.

Obviously something has made them doubt your bonafides.  When they separated you during the interview, what questions were you both asked?

Timeline
51 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

It is unusual, because most married couples going through US immigration do not live together overseas and have not been able to commingle finances in the US either.

Obviously something has made them doubt your bonafides.  When they separated you during the interview, what questions were you both asked?

We have an apartment but I travel back and forth to US. My primary home is US. If your spouse gets an ITIN it makes commingling finances a bit easier. 

They had suspicions due to my lack of travel to see him a few years ago and questioned our meeting each other online. we also did a judicial wedding with a few friends only. So we have done our best over the last few years to spend as much time as we can together, and regardless of what happens we blend our lives as best possible. 

but my questions remain for those who know the process:

has anyone gone through a stokes interview?
How long does it usually take to hear back?  

what does it mean for her to write her report? 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

When they separated you during the interview, what questions were you both asked?

We were asked (grilled) mostly about the wedding, why it wasn’t traditional, cultural. And we’re asked about how we met. Then walked through the details of when I visited, what we did. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, EmTi said:

We were asked (grilled) mostly about the wedding, why it wasn’t traditional, cultural. And we’re asked about how we met. Then walked through the details of when I visited, what we did. 

It's impossible to predict how long their decision will take and what the outcome will be.  All you can do is wait and hope for the best.

Super old pinned post

Wonder if this is helpful? 

13 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

Not that unusual when the USC lives outside the US...but one might see how after filing the petition the USC suddenly has ties to the beneficiary's country. Might seem like they are being paid for the immigrant visa... 

I'm wondering what was your timeline like?

Did you meet and marry then file immediately and then start commingling your life?

How long have you known each other?

They will probably be trying to figure out if your partner has paid you for his IV. 

Just now, ROK2USA said:

Super old pinned post

Wonder if this is helpful? 

Not that unusual when the USC lives outside the US...but one might see how after filing the petition the USC suddenly has ties to the beneficiary's country. Might seem like they are being paid for the immigrant visa... 

I'm wondering what was your timeline like?

Did you meet and marry then file immediately and then start commingling your life?

How long have you known each other?

They will probably be trying to figure out if your partner has paid you for his IV. 

I figured they didn’t live together in the beneficiary’s country if the consulate was questioning the lack of time spent together……

8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I figured they didn’t live together in the beneficiary’s country if the consulate was questioning the lack of time spent together……

They own an apartment together + building a place in his country. Then filed MFJ in the US. 

Sounds like they've been living together for a couple of months at least for the last two years and/or they ramped up their time spent together after initial filing?

Maybe CO wanted proof of time spent together in the last 2 years if they didn't document it when filing I-130? 

Was just wondering about the trajectory of the relationship. If they filed after first meeting and married after a few days together...

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
16 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

They own an apartment together + building a place in his country. Then filed MFJ in the US. 

Sounds like they've been living together for a couple of months at least for the last two years and/or they ramped up their time spent together after initial filing?

Maybe CO wanted proof of time spent together in the last 2 years if they didn't document it when filing I-130? 

Was just wondering about the trajectory of the relationship. If they filed after first meeting and married after a few days together...

We are building a home in the U.S., not his country. And for timing, we married after knowing each other for about year and half. We met when I signed up to volunteer for a youth program he runs in his country. We dated long distance for that year, then married.  

25 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

You’re correct. We don’t live together. But in 2020 we leased an apartment (in Barbados not his home country), because Barbados was closer to the US than his home country and he doesn’t need a visa for Barbados. So we chose a place where we can be together easily, I could easily travel back and forth. 
so, we share the Barbados apartment and I travel every few months to spend a month or so with him. 

4 minutes ago, EmTi said:

We are building a home in the U.S., not his country. And for timing, we married after knowing each other for about year and half. We met when I signed up to volunteer for a youth program he runs in his country. We dated long distance for that year, then married.  

You’re correct. We don’t live together. But in 2020 we leased an apartment (in Barbados not his home country), because Barbados was closer to the US than his home country and he doesn’t need a visa for Barbados. So we chose a place where we can be together easily, I could easily travel back and forth. 
so, we share the Barbados apartment and I travel every few months to spend a month or so with him. 

So he interviewed in Barbados but is not a citizen/ resident of Barbados? 

Your relationship sounds awesome... just trying to figure out where the red flags are.... Might be because he is not a citizen/resident and they're just trying to piece it all together. Hopefully you will be approved soon. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

So he interviewed in Barbados but is not a citizen/ resident of Barbados? 

Your relationship sounds awesome... just trying to figure out where the red flags are.... Might be because he is not a citizen/resident and they're just trying to piece it all together. Hopefully you will be approved soon. 

Yes he is a resident. We both are. Since we have leased a place here for over 2 years. 

5 minutes ago, EmTi said:

Yes he is a resident. We both are. Since we have leased a place here for over 2 years. 

Here is a thread I searched... 

Haven't read it yet... but it might give you some insight into the inner workings of the consulate... 

Timeline
Just now, ROK2USA said:

Here is a thread I searched... 

Haven't read it yet... but it might give you some insight into the inner workings of the consulate... 

Thank you so much! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.