Love P

Redacting Sensitive Information on Printed Copies for Interview

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone brought documents to the interview with redacted sensitive information? If so, did you have any issues with this? My joint-sponsor is not too comfortable with me making hardcopies of their documents, so they were thinking of redacting some info like SSN. The uploaded documents will not be redacted on CEAC, only the printed copies. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Embassy is "the government" ... they don't want the government knowing their SSN ?      If the forms ask for the SSN, then they want that information

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

3 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Embassy is "the government" ... they don't want the government knowing their SSN ?      If the forms ask for the SSN, then they want that information

OP has legitimate concern and question

In case you didn't know many who work at the US Embassy are non US Citizens, from the security guards outside and the screeners inside who may see sensitive paperwork.  

11 hours ago, Love P said:

Has anyone brought documents to the interview with redacted sensitive information? If so, did you have any issues with this? My joint-sponsor is not too comfortable with me making hardcopies of their documents, so they were thinking of redacting some info like SSN. The uploaded documents will not be redacted on CEAC, only the printed copies. 

12 minutes ago, Palawan said:

In case you didn't know many who work at the US Embassy are non US Citizens, from the security guards outside and the screeners inside who may see sensitive paperwork.  

OP should assure their joint sponsor they will keep the documents under careful watch and not show it to anyone but the officials who request them.

Reading consulate reviews it seems like you keep your documents on you then hand them over to an official before the documents are returned... 

Don't think the security guards outside the building will ask to look at it... 

1 hour ago, ROK2USA said:

OP should assure their joint sponsor they will keep the documents under careful watch and not show it to anyone but the officials who request them.

Reading consulate reviews it seems like you keep your documents on you then hand them over to an official before the documents are returned... 

Don't think the security guards outside the building will ask to look at it... 

Screeners inside are non American will and they take them from your possession. I was pointing out that many who work at the US Embassy are not government workers.

I called Domino in my area this week to order a pizza, It said press 1 for pizza order, and then I am talking to a robotic sounding and after trying to take my order for 8 minutes I said is this Philippines I am calling and they said yes.  I then got done ordering which took 9 minutes and since my purchase was over $40 they wanted a credit card, I said if you think I am giving my credit card # to someone in the Philipines you are insane.

15 hours ago, Love P said:

My joint-sponsor is not too comfortable with me making hardcopies of their documents, so they were thinking of redacting some info like SSN.

If there's nothing that will assure your joint sponsor that you will do your best to protect their personal info, then don't bring hard copies of their documents to the visa interview.  Just make sure all the updated documents are uploaded to CEAC prior to the interview.  You will risk delaying your case if you get a 221g, but that might be an acceptable risk in consideration of your joint sponsor's concerns.  Based on the reports of VJ members in this sub-forum, the consul officers at USEM rarely ask for hard copies of the financial support documents for immigrant cases.  That was also my observation from listening in on the other interviews while waiting for my turn with the CO at USEM.  Be aware that the ushers at the waiting area will sometimes announce that interviewees should prepare their documents, including the affidavit of support.  I had my sponsor's (unredacted) I-864 with me, and though the CO didn't ask for it, I was glad I brought it anyway.  If I didn't, I'm sure I would've felt even more anxious than I already did during the hour or so that I was waiting for my turn.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 hours ago, Palawan said:

Very aware of who works in the embassy, very aware of the process also .. I was there ;)      There is a Filipino pre-screener who will collect some documents, any documents after that will be handed directly to the CO.   Don't see how the pre-screener could be "stealing SSN numbers"     

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.