rubriczen

Wife hasn't received renewed Greencard

4 posts in this topic

Hello Visajourney.  My wife had her biometrics appointment for her greencard renewal in early October 2021.  She wants to visit home in Japan for the first time in years this summer, but we haven't received the renewed greencard in the mail yet.  We have the I-797 NOA that extends her GC for 1 year, but unfortunately that will only extend it through August 2022, and that's the only month we are able to travel.  I think it's supposed to take 7-13 months to get the GC in the mail, but in the meantime can anyone give me advice about whether there's anything we can do except wait for the new one?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

30 days before she is due to leave the US she should call USCIS, say info pass, and request an I-551 stamp on her passport.  

She should also hire an attorney to file a writ of mandamus suit and if her renewal is out of processing times, an administrative procedures act suit.  Some people get new green cards in 5 days. Her money is just as good as theirs and it takes  minutes to make a card.  

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I just want to point out that the infopass process can be lengthy, since USCIS does not let you make an appointment when you first call them.  Instead, you will be told that an officer of your local USCIS office will call you within 30 days.  If you miss the call, they will try 1 more time.  If you missed the call twice, you will need to call the general USCIS service line again, and you will be put back in the queue.  The whole waiting period will start all over.  For me, it took more than 2 months to even get an appointment scheduled, since I kept missing the calls due to work and spotty connection.  The appointment was about 2 weeks later, so overall I think it took me about 2.5 or maybe 3 months from initially calling USCIS to the actual infopass appointment.  Just wanted to share my story, so you won't run into any surprises. :)

Edited by Kürbis&Tannenbaum

On 5/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mike E said:

She should also hire an attorney to file a writ of mandamus suit and if her renewal is out of processing times, an administrative procedures act suit.  Some people get new green cards in 5 days. Her money is just as good as theirs and it takes  minutes to make a card.  

That’s a superb suggestion ( minus the $5k to $9 k legal fees)). …but VJ users are among the most tech savvy and internet friendly bunch…so perhaps one could simply order  court copies of PUBLICLY AVAILABLE writ of mandamus for various delayed case types ( I-90, N-400, I-751 , I-130) , even ask court to waive fees and have a learning experience. …hint hint @Mike E   ( suggestion made in good spirit) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.