EmTi

Police Cert Could Expire - Seeking Advice

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Looking for advice- 

we got an RFE for a police certificate Feb 2. We got the certificate in November (husband had to travel to back to the country to get it- he no longer lives there) 

We didn’t  upload it to NVC at that time because we had already submitted our documents in October and we thought we could just take it to the interview. But…when we were reviewed in Feb we got an RFE for it.

The concern is this, on the  certificate it says it expires after 6 months. By the time we get reviewed again it should still be valid, but we will be within weeks of it expiring. By the time of our interview it may be expired. But it will be hard to get yet another copy because he doesn’t live there - he only visited to get the certificate and left.   To fly back there again is a hardship and the online process is not trustworthy.

Any advice? 

7 minutes ago, EmTi said:

Looking for advice- 

we got an RFE for a police certificate Feb 2. We got the certificate in November (husband had to travel to back to the country to get it- he no longer lives there) 

We didn’t  upload it to NVC at that time because we had already submitted our documents in October and we thought we could just take it to the interview. But…when we were reviewed in Feb we got an RFE for it.

The concern is this, on the  certificate it says it expires after 6 months. By the time we get reviewed again it should still be valid, but we will be within weeks of it expiring. By the time of our interview it may be expired. But it will be hard to get yet another copy because he doesn’t live there - he only visited to get the certificate and left.   To fly back there again is a hardship and the online process is not trustworthy.

Any advice? 

Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

Important: Police certificates expire after two years, unless the certificate was issued from your country of previous residence and you have not returned there since the police certificate was issued.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-5-collect-financial-evidence-and-other-supporting-documents/step-7-collect-civil-documents.html

I saw this too! I was hoping they would honor this, but it seems they don’t know their own rules sometimes. Maybe we should print this and have it ready just in case 😂

2 minutes ago, EmTi said:

I saw this too! I was hoping they would honor this, but it seems they don’t know their own rules sometimes. Maybe we should print this and have it ready just in case 😂

Yeah, I saw on Facebook someone's PCC was rejected (at NVC stage) and it was only 1 month old!!!

Hopefully things will work out for you. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Timeline
1 minute ago, Kor2USA said:

Yeah, I saw on Facebook someone's PCC was rejected (at NVC stage) and it was only 1 month old!!!

Hopefully things will work out for you. 

I pray so! I don’t want yet another delay. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
19 hours ago, EmTi said:

Note that expiration dates on police certificates are not relevant to the US immigration process.  If you obtain a certificate from a country in which you no longer reside, the date of issue is irrelevant, as long as it's after you stopped living there.  You could have gotten it ten years ago and it's still good.  If you get one from your current country with an expiration date on its face, ignore that date.  What's important is that the issue date is less than two years before the interview date.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Note that expiration dates on police certificates are not relevant to the US immigration process.  If you obtain a certificate from a country in which you no longer reside, the date of issue is irrelevant, as long as it's after you stopped living there.  You could have gotten it ten years ago and it's still good.  If you get one from your current country with an expiration date on its face, ignore that date.  What's important is that the issue date is less than two years before the interview date.

This is a great breakdown. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.