eric05059

Finally got an offer from a bank but kind of stress out

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
13 hours ago, eric05059 said:

As mentioned, got an contingent offer from a bank ytd and was going through the background check stuff, I only have bank work experience in Hong Kong but none in the US, will the background check company know how to  check my employment and others such as criminal and credit in HK and not affecting my employment?

Congratulations!

If your potential employer runs background check through those background check companies (e.g. HireRight), which I'm sure they do, they have a list of things to check (e.g. education, previous employers, criminal records). You would be asked to provide certain contact info for them. In my case, they had no problem reaching out to my previous employers in HK. If for some items they couldn't locate, they would just report as such to your potential employer. Nothing to worry about.

2 hours ago, mave said:

Congratulations!

If your potential employer runs background check through those background check companies (e.g. HireRight), which I'm sure they do, they have a list of things to check (e.g. education, previous employers, criminal records). You would be asked to provide certain contact info for them. In my case, they had no problem reaching out to my previous employers in HK. If for some items they couldn't locate, they would just report as such to your potential employer. Nothing to worry about.

Hi Mave,

Thanks for your comment and that's really encouraging! 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, eric05059 said:

Hi Mave,

Thanks for your comment and that's really encouraging! 

You're welcome. Everything's online/by email now so just be prepared to provide contact persons (e.g. email address of HR dept, phone number, etc.). Besides, these background check companies have their regional operations. They're very efficient. Mine was completed within a few days.

7 minutes ago, mave said:

You're welcome. Everything's online/by email now so just be prepared to provide contact persons (e.g. email address of HR dept, phone number, etc.). Besides, these background check companies have their regional operations. They're very efficient. Mine was completed within a few days.

My employer is using  Big report and I don’t know how efficient it is, hopefully everything will be smooth

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions/updates in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

25 minutes ago, eric05059 said:

I've received an email asking my authorization to check my credit in Hong Kong this morning, I called to that company (BIG report) and the customer service representative said they don't need my authorization and told me to disregard the email. I am very confused now and how weird such a big company can make this kind of miscommunication?

Timeline
3 hours ago, Chancy said:

*** Removed related thread.  Please post your related questions/updates in this thread to keep the discussion in one place. ***

If there's no written instructions, or the written instructions are unclear, I suggest calling the Customer Service line again (or file a case enquiry). Sometimes a CSR may be wrong so no harm check with another one!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, mave said:

If there's no written instructions, or the written instructions are unclear, I suggest calling the Customer Service line again (or file a case enquiry). Sometimes a CSR may be wrong so no harm check with another one!

2 weeks has been passed, no update from either the employer and background check company.

HR only told me background check and I9 check is still pending...which means nothing has been updated...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This is frustrating.  Keep the faith.  If this door doesn't open, another will.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
11 hours ago, eric05059 said:

2 weeks has been passed, no update from either the employer and background check company.

HR only told me background check and I9 check is still pending...which means nothing has been updated...

It must be frustrating. Hey, it's Spring break here and many people take vacations over these few weeks. Maybe some stakeholders of your future employer are on leave and they need to wait for them to sign off. That happens. Stay positive!

For the background check for my recent employment, they asked me to provide them with my employers contacts for the last 10 years in Indonesia. It took them about 2 weeks to say they couldn't verify my info. So my employer asked me to give them the contracts or any proof of employment and proof of termination. Ten years is a long time ago. I didn't have all the documententation they asked, but I still have the letter of appointment and slip of wages with my position and name on it. So don't worry, your prospective employer will inform you if they need more documents and if the background check company can't verify them. Good luck with your job hunting in America!

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

1 hour ago, iwir said:

For the background check for my recent employment, they asked me to provide them with my employers contacts for the last 10 years in Indonesia. It took them about 2 weeks to say they couldn't verify my info. So my employer asked me to give them the contracts or any proof of employment and proof of termination. Ten years is a long time ago. I didn't have all the documententation they asked, but I still have the letter of appointment and slip of wages with my position and name on it. So don't worry, your prospective employer will inform you if they need more documents and if the background check company can't verify them. Good luck with your job hunting in America!

Was able to get my background check report yesterday and all checks are passed, was providing everything such as job ref letter, university transcript and grad certificate, I cannot believe all checks are done on or before 4/15 but the report is released in 4/22

However I still cannot receive any feedback from my employer yet, I don’t know what kind of stuff they are still looking for or to be discussed internally (maybe I only have ead and am not lpr yet IDK) But one thing I can be sure with is I cannot expect the efficiency here is the same as Hong Kong.

15 hours ago, eric05059 said:

Was able to get my background check report yesterday and all checks are passed, was providing everything such as job ref letter, university transcript and grad certificate, I cannot believe all checks are done on or before 4/15 but the report is released in 4/22

However I still cannot receive any feedback from my employer yet, I don’t know what kind of stuff they are still looking for or to be discussed internally (maybe I only have ead and am not lpr yet IDK) But one thing I can be sure with is I cannot expect the efficiency here is the same as Hong Kong.

Your prospective employer will contact you to discuss further in the onboarding process like I-9 verification or they might want to ask more documents. Believe me, the hiring process here can take a looong time. I applied on October 2021, got an interview on December 2021. The offer and background check didn't start until January this year and was completed for three weeks! I was finally on boarded in February.

Edited by iwir

K1 VISA: Done in 346 days

Spoiler

Jan 5, 2018: Preparation Started                                                                                   October 31, 2018: Medical Check Up                                                           

Jan 19, 2018: I-129F Packet Sent                                                                                  Nov 2, 2018: Consulate Received                                                                              

Jan 22, 2018: Electronic NOA1 Received                                                                     Nov 6, 2018: Packet 4 Received

Feb 1, 2018: Hard Copy NOA1 Received                                                                       Dec 6, 2018: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

Oct 2, 2018: NOA2 (254 DAYS after NOA1) ***No RFE                                             Dec 11, 2018: Visa Received

Oct 16, 2018: NVC Received                                                                                           Dec 17, 2018: POE (11 Months and 12 days since Starting K1)

October 30, 2018: NVC Left

AOS | SF Local Office: Done in 357 days

Spoiler

Dec 17, 2018: POE                                                                                                                March 5, 2019: Biometrics at ASC in SF

Dec 27, 2018: Apply for SSN                                                                                               March 5, 2019: I-485 and I-765 Status Changed to Fingerprint Review Was Complete 

Jan 11, 2019: Wedding                                                                                                        May 15, 2019: I-485 Status Changed to Case Is Ready to be Scheduled for Interview (New Site Only)

Jan 14, 2019: AOS Preparation Started (1 Year 9 Days Since Starting K1)                May 23, 2019: EAD/AP Approved (97 days since NOA1)

Jan 15, 2019: SSN Card Received                                                                                     December 6, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal sent

Jan 29, 2019: Marriage Certificate Picked Up                                                                 December 9, 2019: EAD/AP Renewal NOA1

Feb 5, 2019: AOS Package Sent                                                                                         December 23, 2019: I-485 Case is Scheduled for Interview (Old Site Only)

Feb 11, 2019: NOA1                                                                                                             January 27, 2020: Interview in San Jose Field Office (Approved)

Feb 19, 2019: NOA1 Received by Mail                                                                              February 3, 2020 : Green Card in Hand

Feb 22, 2019: Biometrics Notification Received by Mail

ROC | California Service Center: Done in 410 days

Nov 2, 2021: ROC Package Sent

Nov 5, 2021: Package delivered

Nov 8, 2021: Text received (WAC)

Nov 9, 2021: Check cashed

Nov 12, 2021: Hard copy of NOA1 received

April 20, 2022: Biometric is waived

Dec 9, 2022: Card is being produced (No interview)

Dec 13, 2022: Case was approved

Dec 16, 2022: GC on hand

📊 I-751 November 2021 Filers Google Sheet 📅

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vonQCJgs9HODO2Y1DdSs3HNyL_FRnMfenlIeDQAUpWg/edit#gid=806913795

Timeline
15 hours ago, eric05059 said:

You're right. You can't expect the same efficiency here, especially in the banking system. I recalled when I opened a bank account here, it took me nearly 1.5 hours!

For large companies, hiring process here is way more lengthier than back home. Patience is all we need.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:03 AM, mave said:

You're right. You can't expect the same efficiency here, especially in the banking system. I recalled when I opened a bank account here, it took me nearly 1.5 hours!

For large companies, hiring process here is way more lengthier than back home. Patience is all we need.

The hr rep told me there are some “compliance” stuff to be completed…I don’t know when will it be completed…

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.