Orion22

Address in the States for the DS-260/we don't have one

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

We are still in the USCIS stage, but we know there's going to be a question in the next stage about where we're going to live.

My wife has been living with me and my child in my country since 2020, she came right before covid hit. We got married here and we couldn't afford to pay for 2 homes so we sold her home in the States since we would be living in my country till the visas are approved.

We will be going back to her old city to live, but we don't have anyone to ask to use their address. And signing a lease for a place we haven't seen, or even know when we can move into doesn't feel like an option. We don't know how long this visa process will take.

Our lawyer said we could use our friends in a different states' address for the I130 but for the next round we need a physical address of where we will stay. This might also be something they will ask about in the interview as well I assume.

Have anyone been in this situation, what did you do? Are there some solutions here?

💒5.5.2020

PD 2021-05-20

Vermont Service Center

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

she should return and set up a US address 

does she have US bank account?

state ID or DL?

What address does she use for her US tax returns?

that is what she should use

Timeline
8 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

she should return and set up a US address 

does she have US bank account?

state ID or DL?

What address does she use for her US tax returns?

that is what she should use

Yes, she has a US bank account,  DL, storage unit etc. She has a virtual mailbox that she uses for those things, I believe the taxes has our Norwegian address. We run a business together and her leaving right now to get a place in the states isn't very ideal for several reasons.

💒5.5.2020

PD 2021-05-20

Vermont Service Center

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
15 minutes ago, Orion22 said:

Yes, she has a US bank account,  DL, storage unit etc. She has a virtual mailbox that she uses for those things, I believe the taxes has our Norwegian address. We run a business together and her leaving right now to get a place in the states isn't very ideal for several reasons.

she does need a US address 

that is where USCIS sends the green card 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I suggest you arrange with a friend or relative to use their address temporarily, as a mailing address only.  Simple stuff.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

7 hours ago, Orion22 said:

We are still in the USCIS stage, but we know there's going to be a question in the next stage about where we're going to live.

My wife has been living with me and my child in my country since 2020, she came right before covid hit. We got married here and we couldn't afford to pay for 2 homes so we sold her home in the States since we would be living in my country till the visas are approved.

We will be going back to her old city to live, but we don't have anyone to ask to use their address. And signing a lease for a place we haven't seen, or even know when we can move into doesn't feel like an option. We don't know how long this visa process will take.

Our lawyer said we could use our friends in a different states' address for the I130 but for the next round we need a physical address of where we will stay. This might also be something they will ask about in the interview as well I assume.

Have anyone been in this situation, what did you do? Are there some solutions here?

You're not sure where you will live in the future.

For all you know, you could move to the state listed on the I-130. People move all the time and sometimes the USC moves after the beneficiary receives their visa. 

I would use the friend's address (from the I-130) for the DS260 but after DQ (or maybe even after submission at NVC) I would start looking for housing in the US. 

At the interview, they'll want to know where you intend to live and they'll question your wife's domicile. So, you want to make sure they know she intends to move back to the US before you enter or with you. 

They can also ask you at POE where you want the green card sent.  This means you should have two more opportunities after the DS260 is submitted to update the US address. 

Make sure you have domicile squared away. You don't want to receive a 221G because they question your wife's intention to move back to the US. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Timeline

Thank you everyone!

So it doesn't sound like a big deal to change the address later, we of course don't want to lie or give false information. But our situation is just a bit different.

We're gathering everything we need to prove domicile, my wife will also write a cover letter when we move in to the NVC part explaining our situation. We're ready 😀

💒5.5.2020

PD 2021-05-20

Vermont Service Center

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.