MMDG

Proof of domicile

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hello everyone.

the sponsor (US citizen husband) and I live overseas (Kuwait) currently.

We are at the step of submitting AOS documents and wondering if this will be enough to provide “proof of domicile”

• ownership of property in the US (has both our names on it).

• paid taxes.

• US bank account with US mailing address.

anything else we could add to support our case? 

Any info will be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by MMDG
Typo

USC husband can write a Declaration of Intent to re-establish Domicile. Perhaps give details of where primary residence will be, what job he will either pursue or if he has job offer letter, include a copy of offer or online job searches or if self employed any business plans or planned future investments. 
Moving money to the US accounts 

17 hours ago, MMDG said:

Hello everyone.

the sponsor (US citizen husband) and I live overseas (Kuwait) currently.

We are at the step of submitting AOS documents and wondering if this will be enough to provide “proof of domicile”

• ownership of property in the US (has both our names on it).

• paid taxes.

• US bank account with US mailing address.

anything else we could add to support our case? 

Any info will be greatly appreciated! 

We submitted bank, credit card, mobile accounts, vehicle registration, drivers licenses, insurance, retirement accounts - all addressed to the same US address (returning from KSA)

I just told the CO we were packing and going home.  If you already own a home and have assets in the US (bank, etc) you should be fine.

I didnt do any declarations.  Never heard of that.

Edited by iwannaplay54

On 3/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, iwannaplay54 said:

We submitted bank, credit card, mobile accounts, vehicle registration, drivers licenses, insurance, retirement accounts - all addressed to the same US address (returning from KSA)

I just told the CO we were packing and going home.  If you already own a home and have assets in the US (bank, etc) you should be fine.

I didnt do any declarations.  Never heard of that.

You went DCF correct? 

Letter is for NVC. They like letters to explain what they're looking at (e.g. a member in the Canada forum had to explain the civil documents were correct after they rejected them after first review/ members have to write a letter explaining W2s are not available as they have foreign earned income). 

They see you're domiciled in Kuwait they need to know the USC intends to return. 

When going DCF you're able to talk to a real person when you submit your documents. All my buddies who DCF'ed from Korea had a very easy time moving home. 

50 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

You went DCF correct? 

Letter is for NVC. They like letters to explain what they're looking at (e.g. a member in the Canada forum had to explain the civil documents were correct after they rejected them after first review/ members have to write a letter explaining W2s are not available as they have foreign earned income). 

They see you're domiciled in Kuwait they need to know the USC intends to return. 

When going DCF you're able to talk to a real person when you submit your documents. All my buddies who DCF'ed from Korea had a very easy time moving home. 

DCF once, SB1 once.  Both times from the middle east, both times a support affidavit and proof of intent to / proof of US domicile was required

OP was asking about proof of domicile I believe.  We pre-planned that part, maintained what turned out to be solid ties.

Edited by iwannaplay54

3 hours ago, iwannaplay54 said:

DCF once, SB1 once.  Both times from the middle east, both times a support affidavit and proof of intent to / proof of US domicile was required

OP was asking about proof of domicile I believe.  We pre-planned that part, maintained what turned out to be solid ties.

Asking about proof of domicile at NVC stage... 

4 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

Asking about proof of domicile at NVC stage... 

Got that.  Getting OP through the embassy, as NVC are simply clerks that gather documents to send over and make no decisions on anything.

4 minutes ago, iwannaplay54 said:

Got that.  Getting OP through the embassy, as NVC are simply clerks that gather documents to send over and make no decisions on anything.

Yep at NVC level you need some sort of statement to get you to consulate.... I'm seeing people getting stuck at NVC level for things that aren't even an issue at the Korean consulate.... My understanding of the immi process has completely changed now we can't go the DCF route (think petitioner and beneficiary need to reside at the same address...) 

2 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

Yep at NVC level you need some sort of statement to get you to consulate.... I'm seeing people getting stuck at NVC level for things that aren't even an issue at the Korean consulate.... My understanding of the immi process has completely changed now we can't go the DCF route (think petitioner and beneficiary need to reside at the same address...) 

No worries, OP will need to send that in.  What they will need to collect are the things on the list that demonstrate intent to return:  Voter registration, drivers license, transfer assets (US bank account) etc because the CO’s carefully comb through that stuff.

4 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

think petitioner and beneficiary need to reside at the same address...) 

Service/Form

Filing Instructions
Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Regardless of where you reside, file your petition by mail with the appropriate domestic USCIS office or online using the USCIS website. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 webpage.

If you are a U.S. citizen residing outside of the United States and filing for your immediate relative (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if you are 21 years of age or older)), you may request to file your petition with the Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3. Please contact the U.S. embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live for further information.

Active-Duty Military: If you are an active-duty U.S. citizen service member stationed permanently at a military base overseas, you may file this petition directly with the Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate without needing to establish exceptional circumstances.

To request to file Form I-130 with the consular section at the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez, please visit the embassy’s website.

4 minutes ago, Family said:

Service/Form

Filing Instructions
Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Regardless of where you reside, file your petition by mail with the appropriate domestic USCIS office or online using the USCIS website. You can find additional filing information on the Form I-130 webpage.

If you are a U.S. citizen residing outside of the United States and filing for your immediate relative (spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, or parent (if you are 21 years of age or older)), you may request to file your petition with the Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate in certain limited circumstances, as described in the USCIS Policy Manual, Volume 6, Part B, Chapter 3. Please contact the U.S. embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the area where you live for further information.

Active-Duty Military: If you are an active-duty U.S. citizen service member stationed permanently at a military base overseas, you may file this petition directly with the Department of State at a U.S. embassy or consulate without needing to establish exceptional circumstances.

To request to file Form I-130 with the consular section at the U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez, please visit the embassy’s website.

I'm talking about way back when... I have a friend who went through DCF. He was from the UK his wife was American. She didn't use a joint sponsor. They didn't  have savings.... They didn't live together and still managed to get the IR1 in 3 months... The year? 2015... (USC was not military)

Edited by Kor2USA

6 minutes ago, Kor2USA said:

She didn't use a joint sponsor. They didn't  have savings

They still filed w “ International USCIS office “ located in Embassy ..cause it was a service provided without conditions ( as listed nowadays) , plus all she had to do is meet minimum I 864 P w a  current paystub even if her prior years taxes did not qualify or she was self employed and not showing…

9 minutes ago, Family said:

They still filed w “ International USCIS office “ located in Embassy ..cause it was a service provided without conditions ( as listed nowadays) , plus all she had to do is meet minimum I 864 P w a  current paystub even if her prior years taxes did not qualify or she was self employed and not showing…

I'm saying people were able to DCF and didn't make poverty guidelines (with foreign income). Just being a resident in the country where beneficiary was the breadwinner was sufficient... 

When people talk about DCF in the before days I can't use that information to help me in the future. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.