KittyKyalesca

Tax Filing question - AoS from K1

20 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

It does ask confusing questions to try to steer you down the right path. For your Federal return, it doesn’t really matter what you say about state of residence but it may populate the CA part. And you probably don’t have to be a resident of CA the full year just because you are for the IRS since they are separate taxing authorities. She could have lived in Idaho part year and CA only care when you lived in CA.  As far as CA state taxes, I don’t know how TurboTax does those. We live in Texas and don’t have state income tax. 

Here’s a link that explains resident and non-resident of CA. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/file/personal/residency-status/part-year-and-nonresident.html  Are you actually on a state return, not in the TurboTax federal part?

What are the questions? My Turbo won’t show me CA questions. I would answer factually.. did you live in CA all year…NO.  

I'm on a state return, not TurboTax federal part.

TurboTax asks both of us the following questions at the beginning of state return:

image.png.f35e6f1000955dabb72f9eca0933bf3e.png

image.png.2934757389e7d08eba436bbad4655dac.png

image.png.56ece9e13d81ba4509db33e5663c31a3.png

image.png.8e3a04abbdacae5bdc6df4d606ee7b7e.png

Since I was a California resident before 2021, it also asks me 

image.png.cd37d2e253d1325e394440a366b7a6d3.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@Yu1988

i think you answer factually for your wife.

Did you become a CA resident in 2021. YES

Did you become a CA non resident in 2021 NO

Resident all year? NO

Just because the IRS considers her a resident all year when you elect that with a statement, it doesn’t mean CA has a provision for the same thing. 

7 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

@Yu1988

i think you answer factually for your wife.

Did you become a CA resident in 2021. YES

Did you become a CA non resident in 2021 NO

Resident all year? NO

Just because the IRS considers her a resident all year when you elect that with a statement, it doesn’t mean CA has a provision for the same thing. 

Thanks!

I answered "Yes" to the question "Did you become a CA resident in 2021?" for her, the date she entered US, and number of days she spent in CA factually. TurboTax filled Form 540NR, California Nonresident or Part-year Resident Income Tax Return, for our state tax return. 

4 hours ago, Yu1988 said:

Thanks!

I answered "Yes" to the question "Did you become a CA resident in 2021?" for her, the date she entered US, and number of days she spent in CA factually. TurboTax filled Form 540NR, California Nonresident or Part-year Resident Income Tax Return, for our state tax return. 

We were in a very similar situation filing California taxes for 2020.  That is exactly what we did.  Just answered TurboTax's questions very literally and factually for both of us and trusted TurboTax to do its magic.   It indeed spit out a 540NR.  I'm no tax expert but CA FTB very promptly processed the return as is and we have not heard from them since.  Now 2021 went through smoothly as well so I can only assume it's all good between us and FTB.  I have always found CA FTB to be extremely aggressive whenever they feel they find a discrepancy so I take their silence as an all clear signal.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

On 3/22/2022 at 7:23 PM, top_secret said:

We were in a very similar situation filing California taxes for 2020.  That is exactly what we did.  Just answered TurboTax's questions very literally and factually for both of us and trusted TurboTax to do its magic.   It indeed spit out a 540NR.  I'm no tax expert but CA FTB very promptly processed the return as is and we have not heard from them since.  Now 2021 went through smoothly as well so I can only assume it's all good between us and FTB.  I have always found CA FTB to be extremely aggressive whenever they feel they find a discrepancy so I take their silence as an all clear signal.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.