LittlebyLittle

Filing VAWA w/o Attorney/Organizational questions

19 posts in this topic

Good afternoon dear members!

I am at the beginning of the VAWA filing process. I will file the petition on my own, without Attorney. I have all the required and valid evidences (for both: marriage bona fide and the abuse). I also wrote a personal declaration, describing the entire situation, events occurred and referencing the relevant evidences. I would ask more organizational questions (which forms to submit, how, when, etc).

I would appreciate your knowledgeable and accurate answers to my questions.

So to start, my first question is:

I know that I am eligible to submit the form I-485 concurrently with the form I-360. What is the best practice: to submit them simultaneously or separate (mining to submit I-485 after I-360approval?)

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do you already have a GC or not?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, LittlebyLittle said:

No

Ok. Good.

Now, are you in the US? And was your former a USC?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

This isn't my territory, but you can head here: seems you do qualify

17 minutes ago, Timona said:

This isn't my territory, but you can head here: seems you do qualify

Could you please advise on the complete list of forms to be filed concurrently with I-360?

Is the below list correct?

I-485

I-765

I-131

I-944 - do I need to file this?

G-28 - do I need to file this?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, LittlebyLittle said:

Could you please advise on the complete list of forms to be filed concurrently with I-360?

I-485

I-765

I-131

The VAWA Thread will answer all of your questions.  Please be patient, you will receive appropriate responses to your questions.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I-485

I-765

I-131

Are you paying for your I-485?  If you can afford it, it is beneficial to pay.  I-944 is if you are not financially able to pay.

G-28 is filing with an attorney, you stated that you do not have an attorney.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

5 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

Are you paying for your I-485?  If you can afford it, it is beneficial to pay.  I-944 is if you are not financially able to pay.

G-28 is filing with an attorney, you stated that you do not have an attorney.  

Thank you!! I also just researched on USCIS page that I-944 has been discontinued starting 9, March 2021.

What a blessing: minus 1 form to fill in)) 

Timeline

Thank you!! I also just researched on USCIS page that I-944 has been discontinued starting 9, March 2021.

What a blessing: minus 1 form to fill in)) 

You don't need I-944. It was taken out in late 2020, I believe 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 2/27/2022 at 3:10 PM, LittlebyLittle said:

I am at the beginning of the VAWA filing process. I will file the petition on my own, without Attorney. I have all the required and valid evidences (for both: marriage bona fide and the abuse). I also wrote a personal declaration, describing the entire situation, events occurred and referencing the relevant evidences. I would ask more organizational questions (which forms to submit, how, when, etc).

I know that I am eligible to submit the form I-485 concurrently with the form I-360. What is the best practice: to submit them simultaneously or separate (mining to submit I-485 after I-360approval?)

Thank you!

It's up to you if you want to submit form I-485 along with form I-360 or after VAWA approval, if your spouse is a U.S Citizen. But if you decide not to file form I-485 then you won't be able to get work permit (I-765).

On 2/27/2022 at 2:10 PM, LittlebyLittle said:

Thank you!

Great that you're doing by ourself but it'll take lot of efforts.  What kind of abuse evidences you've and how you collected those? Be aware that whole case depends on those

Edited by VolksWagon99

13 minutes ago, VolksWagon99 said:

Great that you're doing by ourself but it'll take lot of efforts.  What kind of abuse evidences you've and how you collected those? Be aware that whole case depends on those

yeah, plenty of police reports, orders of protection, hospital records., etc. I have pretty much everything...

efforts, yes, you are right, but it is not smt unachievable. I am just not ready to pay 7k to attorney for compiling the docs, filling 3-4 required forms and sending to uscis. All instructions are available and it is just the matter of not being lazy))

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.