MJintheUSA

ITIN Timeline

7 posts in this topic

Hello all,

My spouse and I were married in September 2021 and are awaiting the CR-1 filed this past January. I (US citizen) sent my tax forms and my wife (beneficiary) received them today. There is only one tax representative in her country who can assist with the ITIN so she contacted them today about making an appointment. According to their timeline, it will be a "delay of 13-16 weeks for the assignment of the ITIN." From everything I've read, the delay is about 7 weeks, so are there any couples here who can give an account of how long that took? If it is going to take that long, should I ask for an extension for my taxes to be submitted so I don't get penalized? Also, they are wanting to charge her $300 USD to file everything, I'm not sure if that's normal or is a scam.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

u are the USC?

u can do the W7 and get the ITIN 

Get a POA from her and do the documents 

how long?

IRS is already saying long waits for this year to process normal returns

and it took us 4 extra months pre covid filed 2/11 and got return 6/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I know there is another thread with timeline discussion that might help you out. Not sure where it is. Look down this thread.

$300 sounds like a lot when they just do a certification notation on a photocopy and mail everything off to the IRS. But I have no idea the going rate. Do you think they quoted her price for doing the whole tax return? You could just file Married filing Separately and amend to Jointly when she has a SSN. As far as filing for an extension that wouldn’t be necessary. When they mail it off to Austin, it’s filed.

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

again,  the ITIN is assigned by IRS and the forms are submitted with your tax returns 

she can't apply (alone)  from her country 

I think she can file from her country.

If he sent the completed return for her to add her signature. She (or he) fills out the W-7 which she signs. She appears at a certifying agent to get her ID (passport) certified. The agent usually certifies then performs the service of putting everything in the post to the IRS. Other options would be bringing her certified passport home and putting it and the other items in the post to the IRS herself. OR she could send it all back to her spouse and let him put it in the post to the IRS office in Austin. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I think she can file from her country.

If he sent the completed return for her to add her signature. She (or he) fills out the W-7 which she signs. She appears at a certifying agent to get her ID (passport) certified. The agent usually certifies then performs the service of putting everything in the post to the IRS. Other options would be bringing her certified passport home and putting it and the other items in the post to the IRS herself. OR she could send it all back to her spouse and let him put it in the post to the IRS office in Austin. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

The  W7 form is sent in with the USC tax returns 

and the only time the USC can ask for a ITIN for spouse is when filing taxes 

Timeline
1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse

The  W7 form is sent in with the USC tax returns 

and the only time the USC can ask for a ITIN for spouse is when filing taxes 

Agree, except he isn’t asking for an ITIN. The W7 is her application. He is filing a return if his name is on it and he signs it. I was just addressing anybody can drop  the Tax Return/W7/certified ID In the mailbox from home or abroad.  He said “I (UScitizen) sent my tax forms and my wife (beneficiary) received them today.” When you said she couldn’t do it from her country, I thought you meant she couldn’t sign where she needed to and finish the task. I probably misunderstood. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.