Kez/JWolf

I-130 for over 21 year old son

33 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
Thanks

So you file it and hope he does not get married for 10 or more years.......go figure :blink:

I would put it the other way around, if he does want to come to the US then he should not get married.

A USC can of course apply for a married child.

I am a year away from Citizenship, if my brother wanted me to file for him, I would. His cost.

But I would tell him to forget about it, get on with his life, and perhaps a year or so before the due date, have another look and and take a view if he is still interested.

Nearly got chopped in the last CIR proposal, certainly not something he should focus his life around.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hello Boiler

When the petitioner gets their citizenship and upgrades the petition to son or daughter of USC, putting them into the first preference category, if the son or daughter marries after the upgrade, is the petition still valid then? I've always wondered but not really known the answer.

Maggie

As soon as you get your Greencard you can file a I-130 for your son.....

Kez

Assuming he is not married.

OUT OF CURIOSITY what happens if they marry after u file for them ???????

Not a lot.

But when there petition becomes due they will be refused as there is not a category for a Married Child of a GC.

Timeline

Do not know, I have never seen the question raised.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I could not agree with you more. You can live without your parents but to be separated from your child is so hard, no matter how old he is. I filed for my son in 2005, when he was 20. I am hoping that the CSPA will work as it’s supposed to and his age will be locked in at 20. The wait will still be about three more years....

Jenny

Thanks Maggie..... its so hard when your 6' 2" 26 year old son is in tears at the airport saying "Mum I so wish I could just stay" He can not understand how my Mum and dad will get their Visa's within 12 months of my citizenship but he has to wait years.... I have no answers for him..

Kez

Ken & Jenny

I-751

13th Jan 2007 - Mailed I-751 to NSC

18th Jan 2007 - NOA

14th Feb 2007 - Biometrics

29th Jan 2008 - 6 months extension stamp in passport

Waiting.....

N-400

14th Jan 2008 - Mailed N-400 to CSC. I-751 still pending at NSC

15th Jan 2008 - Received at CSC

17th Jan 2008 - Check cashed

16th Jan 2008 - Priority date

22nd Jan 2008 - Notice date

26th Jan 2008 - Biometrics letter received

7th Feb 2008 - Biometrics appointment

28th April 2008 - Interviev Notice received

17th June 2008 - Interview in San Diego - Passed

10th July 2008 - Oath letter received

23rd July 2008 - Oath ceremony Golden Hall San Diego

25th July 2008 - Applied for passport

4th August 2008 - Passport received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is just all heartbreaking to read. :(

My fiance's son has just turned 18 back in January. He lives with his mum in England...but I know it's not a healthy relationship. Of course Pete's parents are still there, and he's always over visiting/staying the night. He's never said owt about moving here to the U.S. Just has asked me alot of questions about customs, life, jobs, etc...here. I've told Pete that if his son wanted to move here after we get him situated, I would have no problem...cause I know he'll want to see his dad. Pete said something about him coming on a passport and just visiting for 3 months at a time for a while...see how he likes it first.

I guess I never realized how long it took to bring one's child over.

Now as the USC, are we allowed to peition for the child??? (no matter what age?)

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Timeline
This is just all heartbreaking to read. :(

My fiance's son has just turned 18 back in January. He lives with his mum in England...but I know it's not a healthy relationship. Of course Pete's parents are still there, and he's always over visiting/staying the night. He's never said owt about moving here to the U.S. Just has asked me alot of questions about customs, life, jobs, etc...here. I've told Pete that if his son wanted to move here after we get him situated, I would have no problem...cause I know he'll want to see his dad. Pete said something about him coming on a passport and just visiting for 3 months at a time for a while...see how he likes it first.

I guess I never realized how long it took to bring one's child over.

Now as the USC, are we allowed to peition for the child??? (no matter what age?)

A child yes, but he is an adult, over 18 when you get married.

His Father can petition for him as a LPR, there is also I think the possibility of coming as a K2, but I did not look at your timeline, and it does not sound that you are at that point.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

His Father can petition for him as a LPR, there is also I think the possibility of coming as a K2, but I did not look at your timeline, and it does not sound that you are at that point.

:whistle: Nope..we're not at that point yet... :lol: ...still waiting on that ever so lovely NOA2 :huh:

I-129F

13 April 2007--Mailed I-129F (Processed at California Service Center)

18 April 2007--Received NOA1

13 Aug. 2007--Received NOA2

09 Oct. 2007--Medical in London

08 Nov. 2007--Visa Interview & Approved

14 Nov. 2007--Pete receives K1 visa in the mail

21 Nov. 2007-- Pete arrives in the United States (together at last!!)

27 Dec. 2007--Our 3 year anniversary of being engaged

16 Feb. 2008--We were married!!

AOS

........ho hum....

Timeline

:whistle: Nope..we're not at that point yet... :lol: ...still waiting on that ever so lovely NOA2 :huh:

Well now or never for K2, well give or take.

Not sure having a son in tow would help you as a couple.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I was just reading this thread as my Sister just sent the I-130 for her Daughter (over 21).

10 years?? I don't know why I thought it was 5 (which is crazy) but I think I had read somewhere that it was like 5 - guess not.

That is so absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: just realized I may have been talking out of my hat (that happens), my Sister is a U.S. citizen.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

6 to 7 years, give or take.

Timeline

Hello Kez

I'm glad you have received the NOA for your son's I-130. I know it's the start of a very long wait and I know just how you feel. Tell him he is not on his own and there are quite a few just like him, similar ages, just waiting to be reunited with their family. It doesn't make the wait any shorter but knowing he isn't alone might make the wait more bearable. My daughter has now just decided to get on with her life and is going to travel to Australia for a while on a working holiday visa.

Maggie

Got the NOA1 today for my son's I-130..... and so the wait begins....

Kez

Filed: Timeline

Thanks Mags.... he is just going to get on with his life for now... he is going to use the time to get all his credit cards down to zero so that he is debt free when the time comes.... one good thing is that he took over ownership of my old house when I moved here so he is building a good bit of equitiy and that will help him get established here when the time comes....

Kez

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello

I just thought I would add a comment so we don't forget each other! It's comforting to know there are others waiting too.

Best wishes

Maggie

Thanks Mags.... he is just going to get on with his life for now... he is going to use the time to get all his credit cards down to zero so that he is debt free when the time comes.... one good thing is that he took over ownership of my old house when I moved here so he is building a good bit of equitiy and that will help him get established here when the time comes....

Kez

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello all...

I have learned a lot from just reading this thread.....but there is one question I'd like to ask regarding a Permanent Resident who wants to bring over her daughters and a son (all over 21 years of age and all not married).

I am asking this question for a person I know , her name is Sue. Sue just got her greencard recently. She would like to start the petition for her 3 kids. Her question is, would it take just one I-130 form to filled out to include all 3 of her kids or would Sue file 3 seperate I-130 for each child?

Thanks in advance....man it really sucks that the wait is so long....not sure how Sue is going to react hearing the processing times can be about 6-8 years!

Regards,

George

George (USA) 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif and Pocky (Thailand)3dflagsdotcom_thail_2faws.gif

07-20-04 Mailed I-129F to USCIS CSC

07-26-04 NOA1

08-27-04 NOA2

10-18-04 Poc gets medical exam at Bumrungrad, applies for Police Certificate, pays K-1 Visa Fee and turned in DS-230 pt 1 & “checklist”

01-14-05 K-1 Approved

04-06-05 USCIS (Chicago Lockbox) receives AOS Package

04-13-05 Received NOA1s for I-485 & I-131

06-13-05 Received NOA2 for I-485, AOS Interview set for August 2005 at the San Francisco USCIS

08-10-05 AOS approved

08-15-05 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.