Tonez

K1 visa - SSN denied by system

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello. I couldn't find anyone who's experienced similar to me.

I arrived in the country Dec 12th 2021, and today I had an appointment at the SSA office to apply for my SSN.

Today is day 40 after entering the country, so no where near day 75 of the 90. I had all my paper work and the woman at the SSA told me everything is in order. She then told me in her experience K1s applying for SSN rarely go through the system and get denied when she tries to confirm it on her system - and that's exactly what happened.

I got told she will try again multiple times over the next 30 days, but that is the maximum they are allowed to hold my information for. After that, if it hasn't gone through I will get a denial letter and have to go back once married and have green card / work authorization.

Seeing how K1s are elligble, it seems odd that the system would automatically deny the application? The woman seemed competent and even said that she knew K1s are supposed to be able to get SSNs but her experience was they rarely go through.

Anyone had a similar experience, or have an insight on this? Thanks.

PS - I'm in Arizona, not that should make a difference for SSN applications, and I even asked at my appointment and the response was "I don't know if it an Arizona thing"

1 hour ago, Tonez said:

Seeing how K1s are elligble, it seems odd that the system would automatically deny the application?

No, the "system" would not automatically deny a K1 visa holder's SSN application.  Did the SSA employee tell you what system she was even checking?  You can check the USCIS SAVE system yourself here -- https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck

You should also verify your I-94 record to ensure that your admission status says "K1" and that your personal details are recorded correctly -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@Tonez

It’s not going to go through next week or in 30 days. The social security office needs to send it off to have your entry manually verified by USCIS.  I’ve seen it reported a lot with UK passports. Your entry is recorded by a scan of your passport.
If that scan records your entry as JOHNDAVID MOORE

and your name is JOHN DAVID MOORE, then you don’t match the USCIS database and won’t match in 30 days. USCIS has to manually verify your entry if there is any kind of glitch like that. You’re likely in the database, but not under the exact name on your passport. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Timeline
On 1/21/2022 at 7:09 PM, Chancy said:

No, the "system" would not automatically deny a K1 visa holder's SSN application.  Did the SSA employee tell you what system she was even checking?  You can check the USCIS SAVE system yourself here -- https://www.uscis.gov/save/save-casecheck

You should also verify your I-94 record to ensure that your admission status says "K1" and that your personal details are recorded correctly -- https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search

Thanks for this info. I can confirm my I-94 record states K1 as class of admission.

I tried checking the SAVE system this morning and the website is down, so I'll try again later.

Timeline
On 1/22/2022 at 5:34 AM, Wuozopo said:

@Tonez

It’s not going to go through next week or in 30 days. The social security office needs to send it off to have your entry manually verified by USCIS.  I’ve seen it reported a lot with UK passports. Your entry is recorded by a scan of your passport.
If that scan records your entry as JOHNDAVID MOORE

and your name is JOHN DAVID MOORE, then you don’t match the USCIS database and won’t match in 30 days. USCIS has to manually verify your entry if there is any kind of glitch like that. You’re likely in the database, but not under the exact name on your passport. 

Everything on my I-94 matches my passport and that info is the same on all my documents from USCIS.

If I call the SSA office and tell them that they need to send it off for manual verification by USCIS, is that something they will do? The other cases you've seen, were they able to resolve it?

Thanks for the info and your help

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Update for anyone who experiences similar:

I phoned USCIS and they had no idea what I was talking about, or what the SSA was saying they required them to do. It very much seems like they are just passing the buck on to each other to avoid giving out SSNs. They said they would look in to it, but I don't have high hopes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, Tonez said:

Update for anyone who experiences similar:

I phoned USCIS and they had no idea what I was talking about, or what the SSA was saying they required them to do. It very much seems like they are just passing the buck on to each other to avoid giving out SSNs. They said they would look in to it, but I don't have high hopes.

Calling USCIS general number wouldn’t get you anywhere. This is a SSA procedure your local office has to send off to manually verify your entry so they can process your application. You need to speak to them, preferably a supervisor. Or maybe start over at a new SSA office which might be more trained in procedures.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 2/1/2022 at 6:32 AM, Wuozopo said:

Calling USCIS general number wouldn’t get you anywhere. This is a SSA procedure your local office has to send off to manually verify your entry so they can process your application. You need to speak to them, preferably a supervisor. Or maybe start over at a new SSA office which might be more trained in procedures.

Managed to find a number for SAVE verification department - part of USCIS that work with DHS I guess. They told me the SSA office need to phone them on the same number I did and they will sort out the verification issue.

I phoned the SSA office and they told me, and I quote "we don't make phone calls".

Basically I've had it confirmed by the guys that run the SAVE system that in my situation the SSA agent has to call them. The guy I spoke to told me the SSA offices will regularly let the applications (especially those on K1 visas) "time out" after 30 days when they get denied due to not being verified, when all they have to do is call the SAVE verification department and it can be sorted in under 5 minutes. They clearly refuse to do this, and who knows why.

You said start over at another SSA office. Can I do that even if this application "expires"?

Edited by Tonez
More information

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2022 at 9:00 AM, Tonez said:

Managed to find a number for SAVE verification department - part of USCIS that work with DHS I guess. They told me the SSA office need to phone them on the same number I did and they will sort out the verification issue.

I phoned the SSA office and they told me, and I quote "we don't make phone calls".

Basically I've had it confirmed by the guys that run the SAVE system that in my situation the SSA agent has to call them. The guy I spoke to told me the SSA offices will regularly let the applications (especially those on K1 visas) "time out" after 30 days when they get denied due to not being verified, when all they have to do is call the SAVE verification department and it can be sorted in under 5 minutes. They clearly refuse to do this, and who knows why.

You said start over at another SSA office. Can I do that even if this application "expires"?

Sorry to ask you here. Any luck regarding SSN. I am also facing the issue where the office doesnt want to call the save uscis office. Do you know by any chance what is their number? Can you please share it with me as well?

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 2/25/2022 at 3:07 AM, highvoltage said:

Sorry to ask you here. Any luck regarding SSN. I am also facing the issue where the office doesnt want to call the save uscis office. Do you know by any chance what is their number? Can you please share it with me as well?

Sorry for the delayed response.

No luck for me, I was told "we don't make phone calls" and that was that. 30 days came since my application and they sent me a letter saying it hadn't been processed and I have to wait until I get my EAD or Green Card. AOS packet just recently sent off so it will probably be a while

19 minutes ago, Tonez said:

No luck for me, I was told "we don't make phone calls" and that was that. 30 days came since my application and they sent me a letter saying it hadn't been processed and I have to wait until I get my EAD or Green Card. AOS packet just recently sent off so it will probably be a while

Thanks finally got the SSN. Thanks for the help.

• 4 months later...
On 4/2/2022 at 3:46 PM, Tonez said:

Hi Tonez,

My wife ran into a similar issue.. we're still waiting on getting an SSN and were also told to wait until we received an EAD or Green Card.

Have you received anything or learned anything new since then?

Timeline

I applied for SSN with my AOS paperwork. When my EAD arrived I went in to the office and they said I had already applied for one on the date my AOS paperwork was issued. I told them I hadn't received it. They said they would send another and to wait 2 weeks.

2 weeks, nothing. I phoned the office and they were very unhelpful. Basically said I just had to wait.

I waited another week and called back. They told me it had definitely been sent, I asked if they had proof of postage of personal important documents and they said no. The woman was actually helpful this time though and said she would reorder my SSN to arrive at their office and told me to come in 2 weeks to collect. 

Waited another 2 weeks, went to the office and collected my SSN no problems.

To say the SSA are incompetent were an under statement. I found that constantly being on their case about it eventually got me the SSN, who knows how long it would have taken if I hadn't made my self a nuisance 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.