Happy43

Cr1 Proof- spouse sending me money to help with my travels

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I am the US citizen and my husband lives in South Africa. You think it’s ok to show proof that he’s been sending me money every month to contribute  to help with my trips to fly to him . Like bank statements or screenshots of worldremit  showing the transactions to me.

i  also help him to with other stuff 

That could cut both ways.

If you are trying to show comingling of finances, try a joint tax return and/or beneficiaries on insurance and retirement accounts. Those I think are stronger proofs.

At the same time, keep in mind that since your spouse is outside the country, it is difficult to have the normal joint accounts that most married people have.

4 minutes ago, randy32 said:

That could cut both ways.

If you are trying to show comingling of finances, try a joint tax return and/or beneficiaries on insurance and retirement accounts. Those I think are stronger proofs.

At the same time, keep in mind that since your spouse is outside the country, it is difficult to have the normal joint accounts that most married people have.

True my spouse is in another county 

So right now I was able to add him 

life insurance 

401k  employee plan as beneficiary 

credit card - auth user 

bank- listed a spouse no debit card just listed as spouse

even added him to my electric bill

( even though he’s not living with me yet)

Just now, randy32 said:

I would add tax returns and that would be as good as it gets unless you have kids.

my 2 cents

Yeah I think we can’t file jointly since he’s overseas but I been told I can file marriage but separated. I am wondering when I file like that would they add him name on it as the spouse  hmmm 🤔 

Just now, Happy43 said:

Yeah I think we can’t file jointly since he’s overseas but I been told I can file marriage but separated. I am wondering when I file like that would they add him name on it as the spouse  hmmm 🤔 

yes you can fill joint.

The first time you will have to file paper with form w-7 for an ITIN.

Look up the form, see the details.

You can still file married but separated and amend your taxes later or leave it.

Besides the additional document you will get, there is a likelihood that your tax bracket will be different. Money back for some but not all

2 minutes ago, randy32 said:

yes you can fill joint.

The first time you will have to file paper with form w-7 for an ITIN.

Look up the form, see the details.

You can still file married but separated and amend your taxes later or leave it.

Besides the additional document you will get, there is a likelihood that your tax bracket will be different. Money back for some but not all

Ok I look it up 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 hour ago, Happy43 said:

True my spouse is in another county 

So right now I was able to add him 

life insurance 

401k  employee plan as beneficiary 

credit card - auth user 

bank- listed a spouse no debit card just listed as spouse

even added him to my electric bill

( even though he’s not living with me yet)

With all the other evidence you have, I wouldn’t include money transfers between you and the spouse. That could hurt you more than help you (they could believe you’re getting a financial benefit in exchange for a gc) and it doesn’t really prove anything. 
I’m assuming you’re listing here financial evidence. Do you also have boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

5 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

With all the other evidence you have, I wouldn’t include money transfers between you and the spouse. That could hurt you more than help you (they could believe you’re getting a financial benefit in exchange for a gc) and it doesn’t really prove anything. 
I’m assuming you’re listing here financial evidence. Do you also have boarding passes, hotel receipts, etc?

I do have boarding bases and receipt yes  I kept everything. Maybe not the first trip but i

do have most. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Happy43 said:

I do have boarding bases and receipt yes  I kept everything. Maybe not the first trip but i

do have most. 

Ok, then I would definitely include those, from most recent to oldest. Also, if you didn't keep the first ones, that's fine. I'd make a letter or a short timeline and even say that you didn't keep the boarding passes, but you visited on xxx date.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

1 minute ago, Rocio0010 said:

Ok, then I would definitely include those, from most recent to oldest. Also, if you didn't keep the first ones, that's fine. I'd make a letter or a short timeline and even say that you didn't keep the boarding passes, but you visited on xxx date.

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Happy43 said:

But also if I am not mistaken a w7 is only use if my spouse was in the states and didn’t have a ssn number yet.   But was working and trying to file taxes . He would apply to get a Itin  by filling out a w7.

See the link below, section "Who Is Eligible To Complete This Form". Third bullet point.

Your spouse does not have to be in the US.

https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw7 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 hours ago, Happy43 said:

But also if I am not mistaken a w7 is only use if my spouse was in the states and didn’t have a ssn number yet.   But was working and trying to file taxes . He would apply to get a Itin  by filling out a w7.

My husband and I filed as married jointly when he was still living in Brazil and we were waiting for his CR-1.  We completed a W-7 and attached it to our 1040, a certified tax agent verified the W-7 with his Brazilian passport and submitted it with the 1040 and all attachments when we were in London on vacation.  There are other options for verifying the W-7, some require mailing the applicant's passport, others you can do at an office, see link below.  So yes, you can file as married jointly with a request for an ITIN while one spouse is in the US, the other living in another country, without a SSN.  Good luck!

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/obtaining-an-itin-from-abroad

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.