Lae355

How to adjust status, get SSA benefits, or get a proof of residency when CGC is expired & I-751 wasn’t filed?

3 posts in this topic

2014-2022

• Entered the US with J1 visa.
  • Married to a US citizen.
  • Got the conditional GC
  • Marriage annulled by default, due to me not being present at the court for the verdict, and my ex’s accusations of infidelity in court…
  • Moved on and married again. My wife and I are married for more than 3 years now.
  • After the second marriage, I joined the US Navy. (Got discharged under honorable conditions)
  • Applied for naturalization through the military. But my first application was denied; due to being on informal probation for DUI.🤦🏻‍♂️
  • While still on active duty, and after my probation terms have ended, I re-applied for naturalization! I passed the civics test, completed my interview and have been waiting for a decision for over a year now.
  • My conditional green card through my first marriage has expired/got lost/terminated…I just have never been notified by the USCIS about it.

Honestly, I’m just tired of this whole process…it is so frustrating and stressful to wait for a decision! It’s taking a huge toll on me and my health…I don’t remember how many times I called USCIS to get an update, but they don’t have any. I don’t even know what’s going on, or what my status currently is.

I need help! I need to be able to travel and come back to US. I haven’t seen my family in 7 years now, and I need to be able to adjust my status, or get some type of documentation/stamp/visa/permit/card, ……anything!

On top of that, my immigration attorney ghosted me. I haven’t been able to get any correspondence from her, or her law firm for 3-4 months now…I would appreciate any insight, advice and referrals. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
32 minutes ago, Lae355 said:

2014-2022

• Entered the US with J1 visa.
  • Married to a US citizen.
  • Got the conditional GC
  • Marriage annulled by default, due to me not being present at the court for the verdict, and my ex’s accusations of infidelity in court…
  • Moved on and married again. My wife and I are married for more than 3 years now.
  • After the second marriage, I joined the US Navy. (Got discharged under honorable conditions)
  • Applied for naturalization through the military. But my first application was denied; due to being on informal probation for DUI.🤦🏻‍♂️
  • While still on active duty, and after my probation terms have ended, I re-applied for naturalization! I passed the civics test, completed my interview and have been waiting for a decision for over a year now.
  • My conditional green card through my first marriage has expired/got lost/terminated…I just have never been notified by the USCIS about it.

Honestly, I’m just tired of this whole process…it is so frustrating and stressful to wait for a decision! It’s taking a huge toll on me and my health…I don’t remember how many times I called USCIS to get an update, but they don’t have any. I don’t even know what’s going on, or what my status currently is.

I need help! I need to be able to travel and come back to US. I haven’t seen my family in 7 years now, and I need to be able to adjust my status, or get some type of documentation/stamp/visa/permit/card, ……anything!

On top of that, my immigration attorney ghosted me. I haven’t been able to get any correspondence from her, or her law firm for 3-4 months now…I would appreciate any insight, advice and referrals. Thank you!

Were you in possession of a valid green card at the time of your naturalization interview ? You must be an LPR at the time of the interview. You should have applied for Removal of conditions after your divorce .. because you didn't, your standing as an LPR would have ended. This is probably why there has been no determination on your application for citizenship. I may have it all wrong …. . You may need to start again with AOS with  your second spouse filing the I130. Help me understand better if Ive got it all wrong .. 

Edited by Lil bear

You could file a writ of mandamus but I agree with @Lil bear you were not an LPR at the time of the interview so it will very likely be denied, so AOS based on your current marriage would be the option.

You could also look into a very late removal of conditions.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.