belga

Filing for Citizenship with name change request

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi there folks ,

hope you all doing great ,and happy holidays 💐

I am a Baltimore Office Field N-400 filer. I have filed for Citizenship after 7 years marriage. I also should note that I requested a Name Change in my application. I have passed the Citizenship in June the 11th, 2021, I have been waiting for my Court's Oath Ceremony since then ! Anybody requested  a name change change and been waiting that long ?! I appreciate any insights from you guys . Thanks and good luck to everyone ☺️

My processing time:

Citizenship

Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Baltimore MD
Date Filed : 2021-04-12
NOA Date : 2021-05-11
Bio. Appt. : N/A
Interview Date :

2021-06-11

•  
Edited by belga
Typo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

This isn’t unheard of.  Because of that I never recommend a name change combined with naturalization.  Indeed I don’t think a name should be changed until naturalization certificate is in hand.  

Sorry this is happening to you.  

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This isn’t unheard of.  Because of that I never recommend a name change combined with naturalization.  Indeed I don’t think a name should be changed until naturalization certificate is in hand.  

Sorry this is happening to you.  

Thanks Mike I appreciate you taking the time to answer .

Big mistake requesting the name change 😔 I thought it would be faster to get everything done at once ,but it back fired ! I hope to hear from someone that went through the same just to have an idea what am up to .

Thanks again 

You have a blessed Night 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guyana
Timeline
2 hours ago, belga said:

Thanks Mike I appreciate you taking the time to answer .

Big mistake requesting the name change 😔 I thought it would be faster to get everything done at once ,but it back fired ! I hope to hear from someone that went through the same just to have an idea what am up to .

Thanks again 

You have a blessed Night 

Hello...I think the timing depends on the local office when it comes to Naturalization with a name change.  We requested a name change on the N400 and our office was Newark, NJ.  Interview was at 9:30 AM and Oath Ceremony was same day at 2 PM, and received Naturalization certificate with new name, along with a court order name change document (on same day as interview).  That being said, this is probably the simplest way to do the name change - in New Jersey, to do a name change separately, several steps are required which can take months (steps such as publishing the name change in local newspaper, going to court, etc etc).  Good luck - I hope your Oath ceremony will come soon.

I-130 (for parents of US Citizens):

8/19/2022: NOA (IOE0917XXXXXX); Texas Service Center

7/22/2023: Both (parents) petitions approved

7/27/2023: Both cases sent to NVC

8/8/2023: Received NVC welcome email for both parents

Timeline
8 hours ago, Duncan21 said:

Hello...I think the timing depends on the local office when it comes to Naturalization with a name change.  We requested a name change on the N400 and our office was Newark, NJ.  Interview was at 9:30 AM and Oath Ceremony was same day at 2 PM, and received Naturalization certificate with new name, along with a court order name change document (on same day as interview).  That being said, this is probably the simplest way to do the name change - in New Jersey, to do a name change separately, several steps are required which can take months (steps such as publishing the name change in local newspaper, going to court, etc etc).  Good luck - I hope your Oath ceremony will come soon.

Thanks Duncan21 , I appreciate your insight on the subject . I thought it was gonna be that easy , but like you mentioned above , that depends on each office field , your State gave the power of court to the IO , however some other states like MD they don't , so I have to wait for a Judge to be free to take a look at my case ! But I would have never thought that it would take 6 months and still ongoing ..! 

I hope we get insights from people that waited or are waiting for court oath ceremony appointment ! 

I am glad for you Duncan and good luck with everything else in your life 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Name change does not hold it up

In most districts a judge does the ceremony and easy to change the last name 

the ones here had the new name already on the certificate although immigration officer can conduct the ceremony and judge has already signed the certifiicate and ok'd the name change

and who would want to do it after getting the certificate and pay to have the name changed on it?

The filing fee for a name change after citizenship oath is $555 for Form N-565. You will need to pay the filing fee and the biometrics service fee. The filing fee sent to USCIS is non-refundable, even if your request is denied.

Plus getting name change on any passport if you got it with old name or waiting for new certificate to apply for US passport

and SS changes 

it is the scheduling in a district combined with # of people waiting as now during covid they have to limit oath takers 

Here they did half in morning and half in afternoon

but the big events use to be done in a facility like a stadium and they need to distance the people and that means more ceremonies and a tougher scheduling issue 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Depending on the field office this is false. 

the ones here had the new name already on the certificate although immigration officer can conduct the ceremony and judge has already signed the certifiicate and ok'd the name change

and who would want to do it after getting the certificate and pay to have the name changed on it?

Any one who doesn’t live in a district that has federal judges presiding over oath. Especially those who live in a district where same day oaths are the norm.  I truly doubt USCIS field offices with same day oaths have resident judges or keep judges on speed dial. And when these offices do a same day oath without a federal judge presiding, the name change causes a cluster. 

The filing fee for a name change after citizenship oath is $555 for Form N-565. You will need to pay the filing fee and the biometrics service fee. The filing fee sent to USCIS is non-refundable, even if your request is denied.

Why change your name on the naturalization certificate after changing your name with the state court?

Plus getting name change on any passport if you got it with old name or waiting for new certificate to apply for US passport

and SS changes 

it depends on what you want to optimize for.  To me it is more important to be a citizen and have all rights of citizenship.  

In some field offices people with name changes take oath and then are told that the confirmation of the name change requires judicial action.  Such people are then in a state of limbo. 

it is the scheduling in a district combined with # of people waiting as now during covid they have to limit oath takers 

but the big events use to be done in a facility like a stadium and they need to distance the people and that means more ceremonies and a tougher scheduling issue 

So IOW a name change can delay oath. 

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
18 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

and SS changes 

Thanks JeannAdil for all the helpful information you shared .

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Depending on the field office this is false. 

Any one who doesn’t live in a district that has federal judges presiding over oath. Especially those who live in a district where same day oaths are the norm.  I truly doubt USCIS field offices with same day oaths have resident judges or keep judges on speed dial. And when these offices do a same day oath without a federal judge presiding, the name change causes a cluster. In some regions of the United States, ceremonies presided over by a judge are held only a few times per year, so asking for a name change will result in your waiting longer than most people to receive citizenship.

Why change your name on the naturalization certificate after changing your name with the state court?

other regions, the swearing-in ceremonies are routinely held at a USCIS office—sometimes right after the naturalization interview. In such a case, your request for a name change on Form N-400 cannot be acted upon. You will need to follow the name change procedures provided under your state's law, which most likely involve filing a name change petition with the state court. After the court grants your name change, and assuming you have already become a U.S. citizen, you will need to apply to USCIS for a new certificate of naturalization, using USCIS Form N-565.

it depends on what you want to optimize for.  To me it is more important to be a citizen and have all rights of citizenship.  

In some field offices people with name changes take oath and then are told that the confirmation of the name change requires judicial action.  Such people are then in a state of limbo. True and 

So IOW a name change can delay oath. 

so,  a office could delay the oath for a what ?   a few months

but sending the certificate back and paying the over $ 500 to change it after and that waiting period ?

no way would i do it that way

ALL the above true but still easier to ask for name change thru USCIS and anyone can call the clerk of the court in the district and ask if a judge persides over the ceremony

Timeline
39 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

so,  a office could delay the oath for a what ?   a few months

Yes. And depending on the FO, take the LPR’s green card too.  For a “few” (whatever that means) months the quasi citizen can’t get a job, travel, etc.  

but sending the certificate back and paying the over $ 500 to change it after and that waiting period ?

no way would i do it that way

Why get a new naturalization certificate?

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/change-correct.html

doesn’t say need to change your name on your naturalization certificate 

So assuming that is true:

Get naturalized with your old name 

Get a passport with your old name 

Get a state court ordered name change (if adopting the surname of a spouse not needed at all if a woman and not needed in most states if not a woman).  

File for a new passport using the old passport and the state ordered name change document or marriage certificate.  Do it less than year after the passport was issued and the change is free:

> Please note: You will not have to submit any fees 

ALL the above true but still easier to ask for name change thru USCIS and anyone can call the clerk of the court in the district and ask if a judge persides over the ceremony

Easier for you in your experience  in your FO. 

Not so easy for the dozens or hundreds  who have complained on visajourney and other forums

It would be nice if the process worked uniformly all the time as advertised.  But USCIS is more inept than most federal bureaucracies and it has no desire or incentive to improve.   

Edited by Mike E

Timeline

or don't change your name at all 

as it is not required and the Moroccan passport keeps the maiden name for women as women do not change the name when they marry

so,  a moroccan passport would have old name and US (may or may not ) have the new one

i didn't change mine

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

or don't change your name at all 

as it is not required and the Moroccan passport keeps the maiden name for women as women do not change the name when they marry

so,  a moroccan passport would have old name and US (may or may not ) have the new one

i didn't change mine

People have different reasons for requesting or wanting a name change, it is not just based on marriage.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Sm1smom said:

People have different reasons for requesting or wanting a name change, it is not just based on marriage.

Yep many reasons to request a name change ..

And me thinking that there will be a Santa judge that will surprise me by the end of the year by the oath ceremony as a new year gift 🎁 😔

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Sm1smom said:

Of course and immigration has reasons to deny one but again Like i said "this is a personal choice"

• You want to change your name for fraudulent reasons, such as to escape capture for a crime or to avoid paying a debt.
  • Your new name interferes with someone else's right to a name, particularly that of a famous person, such as Barack Obama, Brad Pitt, or Kim Kardashian, or of a company, such as Charles Schwab or Berkshire Hathaway.
  • Your name is intentionally confusing, such as "Annum 2013" or "Airbus Jet."
  • Your name is threatening, obscene, or likely to incite violence. "Kick U. Down," for example, is not likely to be allowed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.