musicfan24

Visa for Child and Custody Information

32 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/28/2021 at 8:57 PM, pushbrk said:

Sounds right.  Your son will become a US Citizen once the visa is used to live with you in the USA.  You can apply for a passport then.  Spouse gets a green card.

Opening this thread again because my son was just approved! Wanted to ask if he has to pay the $220 green card fee or can simply cross with the visa in his passport and apply for a passport once he crosses. If I were to pay the fee it might be out of convenience to get the green card and SSN sent automatically. Does either way work, is there a waiting period to getting the passport? TIA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, musicfan24 said:

Opening this thread again because my son was just approved! Wanted to ask if he has to pay the $220 green card fee or can simply cross with the visa in his passport and apply for a passport once he crosses. If I were to pay the fee it might be out of convenience to get the green card and SSN sent automatically. Does either way work, is there a waiting period to getting the passport? TIA

Don't pay the GC fee. Go to the local SSA office within a few days of arrival with the passport and apply for the SSN in person Make an appt for the US passport application for him for as soon as you can after visiting the SSA office and apply for the passport. The order of these tasks is important as you need to submit the passport with the application. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Don't pay the GC fee. Go to the local SSA office within a few days of arrival with the passport and apply for the SSN in person Make an appt for the US passport application for him for as soon as you can after visiting the SSA office and apply for the passport. The order of these tasks is important as you need to submit the passport with the application. 

So I should get the passport first then go to the SSA office? I heard passports are taking a long time now which is why my concern came up. Or do you mean get a SSN first with the visa and then apply for passport? 

Timeline
2 hours ago, musicfan24 said:

So I should get the passport first then go to the SSA office? I heard passports are taking a long time now which is why my concern came up. Or do you mean get a SSN first with the visa and then apply for passport?

SSA first with his birth country passport containing the stamp endorsed visa. Then the US passport application /appointment  for which he will have to send off  his birth country passport with the application  

Edited by Lil bear

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Thank you. So he will still get the stamp at the airport even if that fee is not paid? and does the SSN help with the passport application or just do it before they take it at the passport office is what you are saying

Edited by musicfan24

Timeline
10 minutes ago, musicfan24 said:

Thank you. So he will still get the stamp at the airport even if that fee is not paid? and does the SSN help with the passport application or just do it before they take it at the passport office is what you are saying

Yes the stamped visa happens on entry. At POE .. When asked to confirm the address for the GC  to be sent, you do not  need to explain why there will be no GC.. just confirm the address 

The reason for doing SSN first is otherwise you would have to wait until after the US passport is received. The only downside of getting the SSN using the stamped visa is that it will list the child as an LPR.. after the US passport is in gand, make another trip to SSA snd update the info to citizen 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Lil bear said:

Yes the stamped visa happens on entry. At POE .. When asked to confirm the address for the GC  to be sent, you do not  need to explain why there will be no GC.. just confirm the address 

The reason for doing SSN first is otherwise you would have to wait until after the US passport is received. The only downside of getting the SSN using the stamped visa is that it will list the child as an LPR.. after the US passport is in gand, make another trip to SSA snd update the info to citizen 

Thank you! Makes sense now. One last question do you think there would be a problem for me to go alone with my son by plane to activate the visa and my husband travels by car with our things? He got a visa as well and I am the USC. 

Just now, musicfan24 said:

One last question do you think there would be a problem for me to go alone with my son by plane to activate the visa and my husband travels by car with our things? He got a visa as well and I am the USC.

No problem as long as you arrive in the US before your husband does.  Best if he drives in at least a day after your return to the US.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Chancy said:

No problem as long as you arrive in the US before your husband does.  Best if he drives in at least a day after your return to the US.

Chancy you were a big help to me with this last year too so thank you :)

May I ask why he should wait? It will likely be the next day anyway just curious. 

11 minutes ago, musicfan24 said:

May I ask why he should wait? It will likely be the next day anyway just curious. 

Just to minimize the risk that your husband gets to the US before you do, in case you both set out at the same time but your flight gets delayed.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Just to minimize the risk that your husband gets to the US before you do, in case you both set out at the same time but your flight gets delayed.

Oh lol he's got a long drive...we would need to be delayed for 3 days for that to happen 😆 thanks for the help

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 1/18/2023 at 9:37 AM, Lil bear said:

Update on our journey..husband and son are here. Applied for my son's passport in March and still waiting. Just got a final notice to pay the green card fee. Would you wait for the passport to come or just pay the fee and get the green card too? 

2 minutes ago, musicfan24 said:

Would you wait for the passport to come or just pay the fee and get the green card too? 

Just wait for the US passport.  It would be a waste to pay for a plastic GC he doesn't need.  Remember that your son already has a green card anyway -- the CR2/IR2 visa endorsed with CBP entry stamp in his Canadian passport.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Just wait for the US passport.  It would be a waste to pay for a plastic GC he doesn't need.  Remember that your son already has a green card anyway -- the CR2/IR2 visa endorsed with CBP entry stamp in his Canadian passport.

Yes you are right. They have the Canadian passport too...so I feel without anything to show lol but yes probably better to wait. 

I thought you had a year to pay that green card fee anyway..why would this be a final notice 3 months after approval. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
34 minutes ago, musicfan24 said:

Yes you are right. They have the Canadian passport too...so I feel without anything to show lol but yes probably better to wait. 

I thought you had a year to pay that green card fee anyway..why would this be a final notice 3 months after approval. 

For people seeking a green card, USCIS will not process the actual card until the fee is paid AND the immigrant has entered the USA.  Since your son is not seeking a green card, there should be no need to pay the fee.  Not sure why you thought you had a year to pay the fee, but it's not relevant anyway.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.