bready99

From Russia with Love

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just wanted to give a brief update on my fiance's experience POE into Houston, TX....

After my Fiance's visa was approved, it took about a week for her to receive it at her home town. I sent her the immigrations forms that you receive on the airplane already completed so she would not have any trouble in getting them filled out since she cannot speak much English. She was able to pack and leave within 10 days of receiving the approved visa.

She arrived at Bush International Airport. Her flight was on schedule from Japan to Houston. She had no issues during the trip. It took her 2 hours 20 minutes to get through customs. No issues, it was just a long wait because of the number of immigrants coming through at the time she arrived....

Not knowing what was going on, after about an hour, I used the airport phone to call immigrations to find out if there were any problems... They informed me that she had arrived, she was in the computer, and she was currently in the waiting area. They could not give me any specifics other then her location...

Anna later told me that they only asked her two questions, (1) Had she ever been in the U.S. before and (2) what date she was planning on getting married? They did not have a Russian speaking person at the office but I was told they had a person available in the airport if needed.

So far Anna and her son are adapting to living in the U.S. We have had some funny experiences happen because of cultural differences and translation issues but those stories can be told as another topic.. I'd like to thank everyone for all their comments. This site has been great. I hope other people use it as much as possible during their VISA Journey.

Basil

Timeline

Congratulations and best wishes for a happy life together. Keep us us updated on how everything is going.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline

Congratulations on her arrival in the US, and wishing you both the best of luck! Glad she made it through Immigration with no problems! Hoping to see some updates later :)

Edited by Milenka

Участник Русского Форума

03/2003: Met Online

12/2003: I went to Moscow as an exchange student, we met in person.

20/09/2006: Sergey proposes to me!

21/02/2007: I-129F Package mailed from Wroclaw, Poland to California Service Center

28/02/2007: NOA1 issued

22/5/2007:Approved!!!!!!!!!

04/06/2007:NVC received case

11/06/2007:Left NVC for Moscow

23/08/2007: INTERVIEW, APPROVED :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
...she cannot speak much English.
We have had some funny experiences happen because of cultural differences and translation issues...
Anna later told me that they only asked her two questions...
Sounds to me like she understands and speaks English. If not, get her English or your Russian up to speed, or you could later face marital problems down the line. There is only so long you can go with primative communication.

Tell them, welcome to America. I hope you have the time to let her rest and adjust her body clock. She will need about two weeks as a minimum and a couple of months to feel really normal. If you don't have a good electronic translator, then get one. It will pay off in the long run. Be patient and don't assume she understands everything just because she said Da.

My wife speaks very good English and we still have miscommunication problems after 1 1/2 years of marriage. So be patient, speak slowly and clearly, avoid slang and whenever possible, speak the King's English. Americans speak a different English than the British.

Timeline
Tell them, welcome to America. I hope you have the time to let her rest and adjust her body clock. She will need about two weeks as a minimum and a couple of months to feel really normal. If you don't have a good electronic translator, then get one. It will pay off in the long run. Be patient and don't assume she understands everything just because she said Da.

My wife speaks very good English and we still have miscommunication problems after 1 1/2 years of marriage. So be patient, speak slowly and clearly, avoid slang and whenever possible, speak the King's English. Americans speak a different English than the British.

Thanks for the CONGRATs.. The one thing I have learned very quickly is to speak SLOWLY and clearly... The other night I was cooking dinner and she wanted to help... I asked her to cut up some meat in small pieces for me for dinner and put into a bowl... when she finished and presented it to me I saw that she cut up the meat and put it in the cat's bowl. She misunderstood what I said, she thought I said "cat" not "cut".. All I could do was smile and kiss her.

Thanks for the CONGRATs.. The one thing I have learned very quickly is to speak SLOWLY and clearly... The other night I was cooking dinner and she wanted to help... I asked her to cut up some meat in small pieces for me for dinner and put into a bowl... when she finished and presented it to me I saw that she cut up the meat and put it in the cat's bowl. She misunderstood what I said, she thought I said "cat" not "cut".. All I could do was smile and kiss her.

These are the fun ones!

As stated above, start working on the communication issues quickly. You're going to have miscommunications forever, but they can be simple ones like this instead of very complex ones like.... well, I won't get into that. Just study!

Good luck on your new Journey!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Congrats we have all had the misunderstanding issues, its what makes the adventure so much fun. My wifes English is pretty good but sometimes I will mix up what she says on purpose just to have fun. That is when she tells me soon she will have two children instead of just the big one.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Timeline

Congrats on the visa! :dance:

If you don't have a good electronic translator, then get one.

Well, it's different in each case, but I think the best way to learn a language is by using a monolingual dictionary and by completely immersing into the language. Translating into your native language ruins the process for me, but I'm not saying it won't work for others.

I have a hard time understanding how you can fall in love with a person if you don't speak a common language fluently, but there's lots of things I don't understand, so I better shut up :)

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
I have a hard time understanding how you can fall in love with a person if you don't speak a common language fluently

You and me both... Maybe we should ask everybody here, how it works for them. I am unbelievably curious how people do it. It's hard for men and women to understand each other without language barrier...

Timeline
I have a hard time understanding how you can fall in love with a person if you don't speak a common language fluently
You and me both... Maybe we should ask everybody here, how it works for them. I am unbelievably curious how people do it. It's hard for men and women to understand each other without language barrier...
Add me to the list.

I was once told that the couples communicate through sex, but that must be a joke!

I have been trying unsucessfully to learn Russian from my wife. I am not good with languages other than English and sometimes that can be a problem. I prefer structure and a progression like you would have in school. I am looking to take a class and get the basics. My wife and I met a Russian woman who is married to a man from Nepal(they met in university) and we may do the wife swap thing to teach the stupid men in their lives their native language. I think it would be hard and added stress to try and teach your spouse a foreign language. Kind of like trying to teach you wife to drive, and no I DONT want to talk about it.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Don't tell her Welcome To America - on my first visit I heard this like 5 times and all 5 times I was totally freaking out!

What do you mean? If you did not say so, I would not be welcome?! Are all americans against my visit except the ones who say welcome?! :wacko:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rika

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.