CFlah12345

Medical Interview Prep/Docs

21 posts in this topic

I had my medical in London yesterday, and I also needed a tetanus booster and proof of flu jab, as I already had it via Boots but had no paperwork. I asked if they'd do the tetanus there and they refused, saying that their nurse was down with covid and so nobody was on site to give the shot... Instead they gave me a letter to get 'signed and stamped' for both the flu jab and tetanus and an email address to send it back to.

So I went straight to the Boots on Oxford Street and booked the tetanus for the same day for £35, and the pharmacist was extremely understanding and helpful in signing off the letter Visa Medicals had given me. I then had to catch my train back and go to my local Boots and talk to the Pharmacist there who'd given me the flu jab at the weekend and have him do the same thing. Luckily both were really helpful and went out of their way to sign and stamp the letter, which I then scanned and emailed back to Visa Medicals this morning.

I had a response within the hour saying they'd received it and would have their nurse check and sign it off, or contact me directly if they needed anything else, before sending everything on to the Embassy. 

Other than that everything went swimmingly, I just hope it doesn't cause any issues down the line. I've read that it's common they have K-1s have their shots elsewhere but not IR-1s so I found it a bit alarming, but I suppose they didn't have any choice. 

Anyway if anyone has an appointment with them in the next couple of days keep in mind you might have to do something similar if they don't have the relevant personnel on site. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Frostie said:

Other than that everything went swimmingly, I just hope it doesn't cause any issues down the line. I've read that it's common they have K-1s have their shots elsewhere but not IR-1s so I found it a bit alarming, but I suppose they didn't have any choice. 

So glad you got the shots sorted and on the record before your interview even though you had to run around. You are done with shots and doctors for the rest of your immigration journey. 

You had no choice since the visa shot nurse was out. But K1s who are deficient in shots at the medical need to insist they want their shots given. Because you can get the K1 visa with zero shots, they tend to push you off to your GP thinking it will be free and enough for your AOS in the states. It doesn’t work that way. You would have to see another doctor in the US and a lot of GPs charge for immigration jabs. For the IR1/CR1 visas, they must get their shots completed and signed off before the interview. It’s because they have to meet all the greencard requirements since they become permanent residents as soon as they go through immigration at the airport in the US.

1 hour ago, Frostie said:

Anyway if anyone has an appointment with them in the next couple of days keep in mind you might have to do something similar if they don't have the relevant personnel on site. 

Anyone who has not gone to their medical yet, should know what shots are required for adults and go to the GP’s nurse or Boots before their medical. They should do it while they’re waiting on NOA2 or NVC to do their thing. 

Edited by Wuozopo

On 12/21/2021 at 6:50 AM, Ian88 said:

Had my medical in London last week. Upon arrival I was called to the desk and handed over my passport, 4 passport photos, the medical questionnaire they sent to me, a photocopy of my police check, and vaccination/medical summary from my GP.

They then handed me a more detailed questionnaire which I filled out in the waiting room and returned to them. I waited for a little while in the waiting room and was then called in to see the nurse who confirmed I needed a Tetanus booster and a flu jab - they asked if I wanted to get them there today or if I would like a letter to present to my GP and have them vaccinate me, I chose the latter.

I left that room and went straight into the room where you get a chest x-ray. I was asked to remove my t shirt and they position you against the x-ray machine. I then went back to the waiting room.

A doctor then called me into their office and I sat down with them while they asked me questions about my questionnaire. I just provided honest answers and as I have never had any serious medical issues, it was fairly brief. I was then asked to strip to my underwear and sit on a bed. The doctor performed a number of routine checks; looked into my ears, felt my body in various places, listened to my chest, blood pressure, and they also took blood. They also checked my arms and legs for signs of self-harm. I have no history of this but I guess it’s standard practice. I also had to stand and read off a chart as part of an eye exam. 

And that was it. I went out to the front desk and paid the fee. They gave me my passport back and explained that they would be in touch if there were any issues, but no news is good news. I asked if I needed to provide a urine sample and they said I did not as that is only required for certain age groups (I’m 33). 

This was an awesome overview Ian. had my interview on the 21st and this was word for word exactly the same. 

On 12/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, Wuozopo said:

That was a bad choice. If you had gone in with those shots already given by your GP or gotten them at the visa clinic that day, you would have been signed off on all things medical for your adjustment of status. Done! 

Now you will need to find a Civil Surgeon in the US to sign you off on a Form I-693. Most won’t just sign off on your vaccinations only and will require you to pay for a new full medical exam and TB test. It’s a hassle and can cost you extra hundreds of dollars. 

If the medical clinic has not forwarded your results to the embassy yet, you can ask them to hold up until you can get your shots sorted. You can fax the proof to them or have your GP office fax it. Many have not been able to get a flu shot on NHS if they are not elderly. If that happens go to Boots or a clinic in one of the grocery stores. 

Good write up on your medical experience. 👍

Cheers for this Wuzopo. Got my booster jabs for Tetanus and Influenza on the day which worked out perfectly. There was no issue on the day with the police check either.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Could anyone give me some advice please? I’ve received NOA2 and now preparing for medical docs. I’ve had a history of anxiety/depression on and off for some time now and this is a draft letter I am going to send to my doctor for review and she can amend as necessary. Does this sound like enough information included? I have included every detail I can think of. I also received my Patient Summary from the doctors buts it’s only 3 pages long including my vaccinations - is this correct? Or do I need to provide my full medical record since I have a history of anxiety/depression. 

Any guidance from anyone in a similar position would be greatly appreciated, many thanks! Xxx

Template Letter:

Dear U.S. Visa Medical,  

This is to confirm that the above patient is registered at our Surgery.  

They were diagnosed with mild anxiety in June 2017 and this anxiety can sometimes come in the form of picking at their eyelashes and eyebrows when under stress. The patient took 20mg of Citalopram from June 2014 until June 2017 to treat.  

They were diagnosed with mild depression and anxiety in June 2019 and are currently taking 25mg Sertraline to treat. They had 1-2-1 counselling with a college counsellor until their graduation in May 2019 which the patient said was extremely helpful. They were booked off work for work-related stress from 29th November 2021 to 17th December 2021 where they were working with 16–18-year-old's dealing with the students' mental health issues, during and after the pandemic lockdowns. This patient attended a ‘Managing Worry Webinar’ in 2021 to help handle the pressures of her job role. The patient has since quit this job and is now in a Marketing role where they report they are much happier. The patients last medication review for Sertraline shows they are currently weaning off the 25mg over a period of 3 months. The patient reports no eyebrow/eyelash picking since November 2021. 

There are no records of incidents of self harm or suicidal ideations/attempts. 

I can confirm that there is no record that they have ever been a danger to themselves or others. I believe this patient is not a risk or danger to themselves or others. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Edward&Lily said:

Could anyone give me some advice please? I’ve received NOA2 and now preparing for medical docs. I’ve had a history of anxiety/depression on and off for some time now and this is a draft letter I am going to send to my doctor for review and she can amend as necessary. Does this sound like enough information included? I have included every detail I can think of. I also received my Patient Summary from the doctors buts it’s only 3 pages long including my vaccinations - is this correct? Or do I need to provide my full medical record since I have a history of anxiety/depression. 

Any guidance from anyone in a similar position would be greatly appreciated, many thanks! Xxx

Template Letter:

Dear U.S. Visa Medical,  

This is to confirm that the above patient is registered at our Surgery.  

They were diagnosed with mild anxiety in June 2017 and this anxiety can sometimes come in the form of picking at their eyelashes and eyebrows when under stress. The patient took 20mg of Citalopram from June 2014 until June 2017 to treat.  

They were diagnosed with mild depression and anxiety in June 2019 and are currently taking 25mg Sertraline to treat. They had 1-2-1 counselling with a college counsellor until their graduation in May 2019 which the patient said was extremely helpful. They were booked off work for work-related stress from 29th November 2021 to 17th December 2021 where they were working with 16–18-year-old's dealing with the students' mental health issues, during and after the pandemic lockdowns. This patient attended a ‘Managing Worry Webinar’ in 2021 to help handle the pressures of her job role. The patient has since quit this job and is now in a Marketing role where they report they are much happier. The patients last medication review for Sertraline shows they are currently weaning off the 25mg over a period of 3 months. The patient reports no eyebrow/eyelash picking since November 2021. 

There are no records of incidents of self harm or suicidal ideations/attempts. 

I can confirm that there is no record that they have ever been a danger to themselves or others. I believe this patient is not a risk or danger to themselves or others. 

That looks fine to me. It has the key phrases required and shows you have engaged with treatment, which is what they want to see with MH histories. I included what my GP wrote in another thread. It had a little less detail in some areas but probably more in others as I have been an active self-harmer. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.