CFlah12345

Medical Interview Prep/Docs

21 posts in this topic

Hey all! 

My wife and I got DQ'd on 19th November!! Currently waiting on the Embassy to contact us regarding the interview date (so we then can book the medical). Would love to understand somebody's recent experience in London with the medical interview? 

I understand what is required from this page (NVC). As a UK citizen how did folks get their TB records? Also it says on the UK-US embassy website that a ACRO Police Check needs to be issued within the last 6-months for the medical interview vs NVC says 1-year. Any insights on your own application or recommendation here? Should I be ordering a new one? (mine was issued in March 2021).

Love to understand any other best practices on proactively doing anything further to make it as smooth as possible! TY! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
10 hours ago, CFlah12345 said:

Hey all! 

My wife and I got DQ'd on 19th November!! Currently waiting on the Embassy to contact us regarding the interview date (so we then can book the medical). Would love to understand somebody's recent experience in London with the medical interview? 

I understand what is required from this page (NVC). As a UK citizen how did folks get their TB records? Also it says on the UK-US embassy website that a ACRO Police Check needs to be issued within the last 6-months for the medical interview vs NVC says 1-year. Any insights on your own application or recommendation here? Should I be ordering a new one? (mine was issued in March 2021).

Love to understand any other best practices on proactively doing anything further to make it as smooth as possible! TY! 

The medical is not an interview. IT’s a medical exam.

Never heard of needing TB records in London. Not a common disease in the UK. They do a chest X-ray to rule out TB.

Police certificate you got for NVC will be fine. If it say No Live Trace, look into ordering a Subject Access Report from ACRO.

The medical clinic website lists what you need. Scroll down to read the whole page. https://visamedicals.co.uk/united-states/

The medical questionnaire is linked on the embassy website you have mentioned. This is it https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2017/05/USA-MEDICAL-QUESTIONNAIRE_IV.pdf

For IR1/CR1s they take your photo at the medical instead of you bringing 4 photos. It’s because they send you results digitally to the embassy and want digital photos. The clinic has a phone number. Call to verify that they will take your photo if you don’t trust what others have experienced. 

The summary from your GP office is called a Personal Care Record that the office staff should be able to print off for you.  It typically lists your shots, meds, a few visits.. not much. If you have had surgeries, diseases, medical conditions, or depression you also need your GP to address each briefly explaining in medical terms condition, when, how treated. That questionnaire is a good list of things the clinic will want to know more about from a doctor. Get on it because some NHS places can be really slow or bothersome. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 3:51 AM, Wuozopo said:

The medical is not an interview. IT’s a medical exam.

Never heard of needing TB records in London. Not a common disease in the UK. They do a chest X-ray to rule out TB.

Police certificate you got for NVC will be fine. If it say No Live Trace, look into ordering a Subject Access Report from ACRO.

The medical clinic website lists what you need. Scroll down to read the whole page. https://visamedicals.co.uk/united-states/

The medical questionnaire is linked on the embassy website you have mentioned. This is it https://uk.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/16/2017/05/USA-MEDICAL-QUESTIONNAIRE_IV.pdf

For IR1/CR1s they take your photo at the medical instead of you bringing 4 photos. It’s because they send you results digitally to the embassy and want digital photos. The clinic has a phone number. Call to verify that they will take your photo if you don’t trust what others have experienced. 

The summary from your GP office is called a Personal Care Record that the office staff should be able to print off for you.  It typically lists your shots, meds, a few visits.. not much. If you have had surgeries, diseases, medical conditions, or depression you also need your GP to address each briefly explaining in medical terms condition, when, how treated. That questionnaire is a good list of things the clinic will want to know more about from a doctor. Get on it because some NHS places can be really slow or bothersome. 

Hey Wuzopo - curious your experience/knowledge when a passport has expired while in the process? Long story short - since submitting and getting my D2 260 approved - I have got a new passport - old one expired - I uploaded a new photocopy to NVC of my new one which got accepted but still using my old passport for registering etc. 

I still have access to both passports. But DS 260 is tied to my old passport. Will this be an issue at the interview? Will the case officer just to change the system to my new passport number? 
I already posted in another group but I know you've also got great knowledge on the process so wanted to run it by you.

Thanks!

Timeline
2 hours ago, CFlah12345 said:

Hey Wuzopo - curious your experience/knowledge when a passport has expired while in the process? Long story short - since submitting and getting my D2 260 approved - I have got a new passport - old one expired - I uploaded a new photocopy to NVC of my new one which got accepted but still using my old passport for registering etc. 

I still have access to both passports. But DS 260 is tied to my old passport. Will this be an issue at the interview? Will the case officer just to change the system to my new passport number? 
I already posted in another group but I know you've also got great knowledge on the process so wanted to run it by you.

Thanks!

I think this recent thread thread will answer your question.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/775846-changes-in-ds260/

1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

I think this recent thread thread will answer your question.

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/775846-changes-in-ds260/

Thanks  - I have sent them a request to unlock/change my info. Do you think this will affect the application/interview? or could this be changed at the interview? (Medical exam next week - interview in January)

Timeline
3 hours ago, CFlah12345 said:

Do you think this will affect the application/interview?

No

3 hours ago, CFlah12345 said:

or could this be changed at the interview?

Did you read and understand what the website says?

“If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number. “

The passport.in your visa application (DS-260) is not correct and they clearly say to fix errors that involve the passport number so that’s what I would do. If they reply to your request that it doesn’t matter to them, then you know.

Edited by Wuozopo

On 12/18/2021 at 8:42 PM, Wuozopo said:

No

Did you read and understand what the website says?

“If you have made an error when completing the DS-260 you are required to correct the error and re-transmit it if the error concerns the Background and Security questions or passport number. “

The passport.in your visa application (DS-260) is not correct and they clearly say to fix errors that involve the passport number so that’s what I would do. If they reply to your request that it doesn’t matter to them, then you know.

Yes. Thank you. I'm taking yours and the websites advice and i've asked to re-transmit. 

How does this affect a Police Certificate? Would I have to apply for a new one as UK Police certificates have passport numbers on them. (not sure if other countries have the same). Would this be still a valid police certificate? (its within 12-months).

Edited by CFlah12345

Timeline
19 minutes ago, CFlah12345 said:

Yes. Thank you. I'm taking yours and the websites advice and i've asked to re-transmit. 

How does this affect a Police Certificate? Would I have to apply for a new one as UK Police certificates have passport numbers on them. (not sure if other countries have the same). Would this be still a valid police certificate? (its within 12-months).

I would think your police certificate is fine. Take the old passport with you in case they need to see it. 

Had my medical in London last week. Upon arrival I was called to the desk and handed over my passport, 4 passport photos, the medical questionnaire they sent to me, a photocopy of my police check, and vaccination/medical summary from my GP.

They then handed me a more detailed questionnaire which I filled out in the waiting room and returned to them. I waited for a little while in the waiting room and was then called in to see the nurse who confirmed I needed a Tetanus booster and a flu jab - they asked if I wanted to get them there today or if I would like a letter to present to my GP and have them vaccinate me, I chose the latter.

I left that room and went straight into the room where you get a chest x-ray. I was asked to remove my t shirt and they position you against the x-ray machine. I then went back to the waiting room.

A doctor then called me into their office and I sat down with them while they asked me questions about my questionnaire. I just provided honest answers and as I have never had any serious medical issues, it was fairly brief. I was then asked to strip to my underwear and sit on a bed. The doctor performed a number of routine checks; looked into my ears, felt my body in various places, listened to my chest, blood pressure, and they also took blood. They also checked my arms and legs for signs of self-harm. I have no history of this but I guess it’s standard practice. I also had to stand and read off a chart as part of an eye exam. 

And that was it. I went out to the front desk and paid the fee. They gave me my passport back and explained that they would be in touch if there were any issues, but no news is good news. I asked if I needed to provide a urine sample and they said I did not as that is only required for certain age groups (I’m 33). 

Timeline
5 hours ago, Ian88 said:

I waited for a little while in the waiting room and was then called in to see the nurse who confirmed I needed a Tetanus booster and a flu jab - they asked if I wanted to get them there today or if I would like a letter to present to my GP and have them vaccinate me, I chose the latter.

That was a bad choice. If you had gone in with those shots already given by your GP or gotten them at the visa clinic that day, you would have been signed off on all things medical for your adjustment of status. Done! 

Now you will need to find a Civil Surgeon in the US to sign you off on a Form I-693. Most won’t just sign off on your vaccinations only and will require you to pay for a new full medical exam and TB test. It’s a hassle and can cost you extra hundreds of dollars. 

If the medical clinic has not forwarded your results to the embassy yet, you can ask them to hold up until you can get your shots sorted. You can fax the proof to them or have your GP office fax it. Many have not been able to get a flu shot on NHS if they are not elderly. If that happens go to Boots or a clinic in one of the grocery stores. 

Good write up on your medical experience. 👍

Timeline
Just now, Ian88 said:

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware, so will just have to take the hit I guess! We live and learn.

That was mostly to forewarn others coming along. If you read the instructions to medical form I-693, it says K1s do not need a new medical exam if their AOS is filed within one year of their visa exam, but they do need their vaccination page signed off. The problem and hassle comes when civil surgeons say they won’t do the vaccination page only and you are required to have a full exam. Most just don’t know K1 rules. They are used to doing exams for those already in the US on other visas who are applying for a greencard (AOS). Those have not just recently had a medical exam abroad  like the K1s.

Call ahead to Civil Surgeons on the list and ask the cost and if they will do the vaccination page only with no medical exam. Prices can vary because Civil Surgeons are private practices. I called 13 civil Surgeons in the LA area once trying to help a lady who spoke little English. I explained how K1s worked. None would budge below $250-$300 and a full exam. So frustrating.

Ah right ok. Well hopefully this saves a lot of people coming after me some hassle as you say. 

I have an appointment at Boots in a couple hours so if I manage to get the shots I will give the Medical place a call. If not then I will certainly shop around, but I do have enough savings to take the hit on a new medical if they won't budge. Wasted money of course but it is what it is I guess! Sigh.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ian88 said:

Ah right ok. Well hopefully this saves a lot of people coming after me some hassle as you say. 

I have an appointment at Boots in a couple hours so if I manage to get the shots I will give the Medical place a call. If not then I will certainly shop around, but I do have enough savings to take the hit on a new medical if they won't budge. Wasted money of course but it is what it is I guess! Sigh.

The visa medical clinic just doesn’t understand AOS when they tell K1s they can go to their GP and send proof to USCIS when they apply for,their greencard. The USCIS doesn’t take proof straight  from your GP. They have to have it on the official form I-693 signed off by a Civil Surgeon (or signed off as “complete” by your visa medical clinic on form DS-3025).

Keep up with your Boots proof of shots and the vaccination form they gave you at your visa exam. Civil surgeons will accept those and put all the shots onto the I-693. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.