manimani

SSN card not received after Green Card being issued

7 posts in this topic

My parents received their green card on 10th October. In the I-765 form they had selected to have the Social Security Card to be issued to them. 

It has been now 4 weeks since receiving the GC. just wondering if we should wait longer or does it make sense to maybe reach out to the local SSA office to apply for one ? any suggestions ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After 3 weeks you can contact SSA to check the status of the new SSN card request.  In our case, we called and SSA did not have any request in their system for my wife's SSN (she requested it on the DS-260).

If the request is in the system they should tell you how long it will take until it is mailed to you.  If it is not in the system then you can fill out a SS5 and submit it.  I suggest submitting a copy of their passports and GC and requesting an interview at your local SSA office to present the originals to finalize the application.

3 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

After 3 weeks you can contact SSA to check the status of the new SSN card request.  In our case, we called and SSA did not have any request in their system for my wife's SSN (she requested it on the DS-260).

If the request is in the system they should tell you how long it will take until it is mailed to you.  If it is not in the system then you can fill out a SS5 and submit it.  I suggest submitting a copy of their passports and GC and requesting an interview at your local SSA office to present the originals to finalize the application.

Thanks. I presume i should call the national 800 number to check if the request is even in the system / check the status. I found the number on their website at: https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/phone.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, manimani said:

My parents received their green card on 10th October. In the I-765 form they had selected to have the Social Security Card to be issued to them. 

It has been now 4 weeks since receiving the GC. just wondering if we should wait longer or does it make sense to maybe reach out to the local SSA office to apply for one ? any suggestions ?

If they only requested the SSC on the EAD forms they're not going to receive any SSC because the GC was approved first. They are gonna have to apply in person in the SSO.

11 hours ago, manimani said:

I agree with @Ayrton.  If your parents received their GC before their EAD, then they have to apply for SSN in person.  Book now for an appointment at an SSA office.

Note that as non-citizens applying for SSN, your parents are entitled to an in-person appointment, as they are not allowed to mail or leave their GC in a dropbox.

@Ayrton@Chancy: Thanks for your feedback and that is correct; they received their GC before their EAD. They are in US right now. They had applied for adjustment of status and as part of I-765 had selected to have the SSN card also issued (i believe that was the only place where they had to select whether to receive SSN or not).

sorry if this question seems silly but can i book the appointment for them online or do i have to call the 'local' office or should I check the office hours and have them go in with the required documents ? also, i live in Illinois (from where I-130 + I-485/adjustment of status was filed) and my parents are currently with my sister in Massachusetts. Does it matter if they book an appointment in MA ? 

Edited by manimani

5 minutes ago, manimani said:

Does it matter if they book an appointment in MA ?

They may apply at any SSA office.  Call the office first to get them an appointment.  I don't think SSA offices allow walk-ins anymore.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.