yyctous

Does anyone actually receive their SSN after arrival from checking YES on DS-260?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, yyctous said:

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. I understand I don't need an SSN to start a job. I do, however, need it to be licensed under my professional regulatory body, unfortunately, which I need to be able to work in my field. In terms of the bank account, the bank my husband is with will only do it without an SSN if I have an ITIN, which I don't, and they advised not getting an ITIN while my SSN is allegedly on the way. Therefore I figured I'd wait until my SSN arrived/didn't arrive, but I wanted to hear from others if they've actually had it arrive through a DS-260. 

Double check with the state licensing agency and if you can actually speak to a person, explain the situation.  Some agencies don't actually accept a SSN because it alone doesn't prove you have work authorization. My ex was a PEng from Canada and had to deal with this, so we have first hand experience.  

Again, many banking professionals also don't realize that your MRIV is sufficient to open or add you to an account.  They need that MRIV and some other proof of residency like a driver's license.  The kicker is you have to physically go into the bank.  The same is true if you've worked on a visa before and receive a greencard - they need so see the physical proof of legal status.  

I'd probably attempt to make an appointment at the SSA at this point.  It might take them a couple of weeks to get you in.  If it arrives in that time, excellent, cancel the appointment.  If not, no harm.  The people that have actually received it seem to get it within 2 weeks of activating their I-551, so I don't think you're unjustified in your concern. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, mam521 said:

Double check with the state licensing agency and if you can actually speak to a person, explain the situation.  Some agencies don't actually accept a SSN because it alone doesn't prove you have work authorization. My ex was a PEng from Canada and had to deal with this, so we have first hand experience.  

Again, many banking professionals also don't realize that your MRIV is sufficient to open or add you to an account.  They need that MRIV and some other proof of residency like a driver's license.  The kicker is you have to physically go into the bank.  The same is true if you've worked on a visa before and receive a greencard - they need so see the physical proof of legal status.  

I'd probably attempt to make an appointment at the SSA at this point.  It might take them a couple of weeks to get you in.  If it arrives in that time, excellent, cancel the appointment.  If not, no harm.  The people that have actually received it seem to get it within 2 weeks of activating their I-551, so I don't think you're unjustified in your concern. 

This was beyond incredibly helpful, thank you very very much. I'm going to call the SSA today to book an appointment just in case *and* try to make an appointment at a different bank other than the one my husband is with (they've truly been nothing but unhelpful and have made several mistakes answering simple questions for us already). Thanks again!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
17 hours ago, little immigrant said:

I've been waiting since July. Not even a green card yet and it's been past 90 days

When did you pay the $220 fee? What does your status saw when you check your receipt #.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, Cathi said:

Yeah, no. Even 10 years ago when immigration wasn't backlogged my husband did not receive his SS card after checking "yes". He finally went to a SS office and applied in person.

@yyctousWe were the same way. Normally OP most get their card within 7 to 14 days. My husband after 2 weeks we went to SS office (this was July 2016). Well they screwed up his name put middle name first so Visa didn't match what they had in system it was first name first so they had to go back to Homeland security and verify his status. took about 30 days and the DD card came August 15, 2016.

So after 30 days no card just go to SS office and apply. No big deal.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I never got my SSN automatically, the was never even a record to have it created according to the SSA even after checking 'Yes' on my DS-260. After 3 weeks, I went to SSA in Bellingham and I got it in less than a week.

I'm also still waiting for my GC to show up, I think it's that old Texas Service Center not being able to handle the IV docs being in the CCD Issue.

Edited by Kai G. Llewellyn

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Kai G. Llewellyn said:

I never got my SSN automatically, the was never even a record to have it created according to the SSA even after checking 'Yes' on my DS-260. After 3 weeks, I went to SSA in Bellingham and I got it in less than a week.

I'm also still waiting for my GC to show up, I think it's that old Texas Service Center not being able to handle the IV docs being in the CCD Issue.

I think TSC have sorted it out but they are backlogged with all the other stuff.  If you send an inquiry on MyUSCIS it seems to prompt movement.  Or, Ask Emma to get to human chat.  They don't take calls anymore, so Emma is all ya get these days!

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.