meryem_af

DV-2022: Host and adress

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

I am winner of DV 2022 with my husband as companion and case number d AF9xxx. Yet we have not able to find host so that we can mention the address n DS 260. We have talked to some of our contact and got address for green card delivery but not as a host.

Please share best  early options and suggestions as we are running out of time to fill the form and rest of the process of submitting documents etc.

Is renting option can work without having an actual host?

I am not sure why you think you need an actual host. Many if not most DV winners have no host and have no idea what their address will be before they get to the US. For the “intend to live” question you can put anything, people even put hotels, nothing about it is “binding”. The only thing you need to be accurate for the form is an address for green card delivery, and you have that. no big deal if you put the same address for the other question, you will change your actual address when you get to the US.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
45 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I am not sure why you think you need an actual host. Many if not most DV winners have no host and have no idea what their address will be before they get to the US. For the “intend to live” question you can put anything, people even put hotels, nothing about it is “binding”. The only thing you need to be accurate for the form is an address for green card delivery, and you have that. no big deal if you put the same address for the other question, you will change your actual address when you get to the US.

Thank you very much for reply.

Really, I had no idea if we can put any address and it is not binding. If it is that simple then I will finished my DS260 form by today itself. 

But one think  I am concerned again that in the interview, if officer ask us "who is your host us in USA?" I saw coupe of you tube videos where people are talking like such questions asked by councilor officer. Can we say that same place we are going to stay where our card will be delivered or we will be going to another place instead of the address mentioned in the form? 

And most important how people managed to rent house immediately once they land in USA if they do not now anyone there? As per my information there are some requirement like job agreement, credit history and rental history etc. Anyhow we will have to arrange something for us once we arrive and more better before we arrive.

Please advise.

45 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

9 minutes ago, meryem_af said:

Thank you very much for reply.

Really, I had no idea if we can put any address and it is not binding. If it is that simple then I will finished my DS260 form by today itself. 

But one think  I am concerned again that in the interview, if officer ask us "who is your host us in USA?" I saw coupe of you tube videos where people are talking like such questions asked by councilor officer. Can we say that same place we are going to stay where our card will be delivered or we will be going to another place instead of the address mentioned in the form? 

And most important how people managed to rent house immediately once they land in USA if they do not now anyone there? As per my information there are some requirement like job agreement, credit history and rental history etc. Anyhow we will have to arrange something for us once we arrive and more better before we arrive.

Please advise.

You don’t lie to an officer in a visa interview, ever. So if you don’t have a host and IF they ask you about it, say you don’t have one. Again, many tens of thousands of DV winners (ourselves included) had no host. Just say you have the address in the form as a first stop (if that’s the truth)  but you will find a permanent address after you move. 

There’s another forum here about moving to the US that is more appropriate for your rental questions but again, many people move on DV (and other immigrant visas) with no jobs or credit history in the US and manage to find rentals. You just need a flexible landlord.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

You don’t lie to an officer in a visa interview, ever. So if you don’t have a host and IF they ask you about it, say you don’t have one. Again, many tens of thousands of DV winners (ourselves included) had no host. Just say you have the address in the form as a first stop (if that’s the truth)  but you will find a permanent address after you move. 

There’s another forum here about moving to the US that is more appropriate for your rental questions but again, many people move on DV (and other immigrant visas) with no jobs or credit history in the US and manage to find rentals. You just need a flexible landlord.

Thank you very much Susie.

You clarified my question which were delaying my form filling.

I will go forward with what I have.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Susie,

Initially Airbnb or hotel on monthly basis may be the best option for people like us, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, meryem_af said:

Susie,

Initially Airbnb or hotel on monthly basis may be the best option for people like us, isn't it?

I would rather go with what they call a long stay hotel than Airbnb as they are more flexible if you need to either extend or cut short a planned stay, and they are also equipped like apartments  (Hyatt house, Marriott residence inn etc). We booked Hyatt house for a month after arriving, they gave us a discount for the booking being longer than 2 or 3 weeks (I don’t recall exactly), had no problem when we gave notice early after finding a rental. With an Airbnb you’d be on the hook for the whole period you’d booked for, and might not be able to extend if necessary.  My finding was that hotels here are way more flexible than many other countries btw.

Timeline
2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

I would rather go with what they call a long stay hotel than Airbnb as they are more flexible if you need to either extend or cut short a planned stay, and they are also equipped like apartments  (Hyatt house, Marriott residence inn etc). We booked Hyatt house for a month after arriving, they gave us a discount for the booking being longer than 2 or 3 weeks (I don’t recall exactly), had no problem when we gave notice early after finding a rental. With an Airbnb you’d be on the hook for the whole period you’d booked for, and might not be able to extend if necessary.  My finding was that hotels here are way more flexible than many other countries btw.

Thank you once again for sharing the important information and your precious guidance. This will make it easy for us to plan and prepare for the US.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post has been split from this thread into its own thread in this forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.