Maverick_TO

Status in Canada after "landing" in the US on IR1/CR1 [merged threads]

7 posts in this topic

I'm about to be granted permanent residence in the USA (IR1/CR1), and will also be submitting my Canadian citizenship application next month. Upon submitting my Canadian citizenship application, I intend on leaving Canada and moving to the USA. Considering that I will be completing a "landing process" to establish my residence in the US. I had a few questions around the impending move, and the citizenship process-

(i) Will my health coverage in Canada (OHIP) cease once I travel to complete the "landing process" for the USA? I do anticipate being in Canada for a while after the "landing process" to wrap my stay in Canada, and will be employed by my Canadian employer during that period
(ii) Am I considered a resident in Canada once I have landed in the USA? If yes, do I pay taxes both in Canada and the USA since I have just established residence in the USA?
(iii) While there doesn't seem to be a requirement to be physically present in Canada once the citizenship application has been submitted, I'd like to validate if my understanding is accurate. Are their laws that prohibit me from moving to the USA while the citizenship application is inflight here in Canada?
(iv) I'm aware that I will need to notify the CRA of my non-resident status and an "exit tax" that will need to be disbursed. Does this have any implication on the Canadian citizenship application that will be in flight?

Many thanks!
NK

Edited by TBoneTX
merged threads

9 minutes ago, Maverick_TO said:

I'm about to be granted permanent residence in the USA (IR1/CR1), and will also be submitting my Canadian citizenship application next month. Upon submitting my Canadian citizenship application, I intend on leaving Canada and moving to the USA. Considering that I will be completing a "landing process" to establish my residence in the US. I had a few questions around the impending move, and the citizenship process-

(i) Will my health coverage in Canada (OHIP) cease once I travel to complete the "landing process" for the USA? I do anticipate being in Canada for a while after the "landing process" to wrap my stay in Canada, and will be employed by my Canadian employer during that period OHIP is determined by residency, not citizenship. So, if you are no longer a resident of Ontario, then you no longer are entitled to OHIP
(ii) Am I considered a resident in Canada once I have landed in the USA? If yes, do I pay taxes both in Canada and the USA since I have just established residence in the USA? If you are no longer living in Canada, and don't intend to reside there, then you are no longer considered a resident of Canada. Just landing in the USA alone does not determine residency. What determines residency in Canada are your ties to Canada. The burden is on you to determine whether you are a resident of Canada or not. Taxes in Canada are not based on your citizenship, it is based on whether you earn income in Canada. So, if you do not earn income from Canada then you do not have to file a Canadian tax return.
(iii) While there doesn't seem to be a requirement to be physically present in Canada once the citizenship application has been submitted, I'd like to validate if my understanding is accurate. Are their laws that prohibit me from moving to the USA while the citizenship application is inflight here in Canada? Don't know.
(iv) I'm aware that I will need to notify the CRA of my non-resident status and an "exit tax" that will need to be disbursed. Does this have any implication on the Canadian citizenship application that will be in flight? Don't know. I have not heard of a CRA exit tax. When I left Canada I did not notify CRA.

Many thanks!
NK

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

1. Once you become a US green card holder, you will not qualify for OHIP.  It would be illegal for you to receive OHIP benefits after you become a US green card holder.  If you continue to work for your Canadian employer, you will several problems - a) you put your US green card status at risk by working outside the US and 2) you will need to report the Canadian income on your US tax return.

2.  No.  Once you become a US green card holder, you are no longer a resident of Canada.  You will have to pay Canadian taxes on money earned there.  Furthermore, you will need to report the income on your US tax return.

3.  Don't know.  

4.  Don't know.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Duplicate threads have been merged.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

From: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?

Yes. You can leave Canada after we receive your application.

If you need to leave Canada and want to stay eligible for Canadian citizenship, you must:

• make sure that you live in Canada long enough to keep your Permanent Resident (PR) status
  • be a permanent resident (when you apply)
  • not lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship
  • bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily

Make sure your PR card won’t expire while you are outside Canada.

We usually only mail letters, notices and other documents to addresses in Canada. In some cases, you may receive an email from us. You must reply to these letters or emails within a specified amount of time. If you don’t reply within the time frame and don’t provide an acceptable reason for not being able to keep your appointment with us or providing requested information, we may stop processing your application.

You must attend appointments and other events at our offices, like your:

• citizenship test (for applicants 18 to 54 years of age)
  • interview or hearing
  • ceremony

These events only take place in Canada. If you can’t attend the appointment or event, you must either e-mail or write to the local office that sent you the event notice. You can also use the online web form to contact us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the Canada forum, form IR1/CR1 P&P - as a few questions are about continuation of the Canadian citizenship process and OHIP~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OHIP is gone the day you activate your visa. They will no longer consider you a resident of Ontario for health care. 

A few other members over the years have said that your employer changes the taxes they deduct to one of a non resident. You will still pay for OHIP but can't use it, your supplemental health care you may have with your employer is not the same level of health care as OHIP. It's filler and won't take care of al the care. If you also have dental if I remember right that you can use as OHIP doesn't cover dental and the stuff you pay for through your employer is full coverage.

Your exit tax is just a note on the form telling them you left Canada and the date. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.