Crtcl Rice Theory

Reddit Sadly Isn't Surprised By This Starbucks Employee's Horror Story

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Reddit Sadly Isn't Surprised By This Starbucks Employee's Horror Story

"

Unfortunately, the experience that u/aripley1 described resonated on Reddit. As one commenter put it, "That kind of 'dirty uncle' behavior is so unacceptable but I see it many times by older men. They used to get away with it not that long ago but the more people stand up to them the better." Another person recounted not being allowed to kick out a customer for inappropriate behavior. A different Redditor brought up an 80-year-old "who would always come in and, without fail, if he saw only guys on the floor he would yell, 'WHERE THE WOMEN AT?'" And yet another said, "I quit after being assaulted, too."

https://www.mashed.com/628581/reddit-sadly-isnt-surprised-by-this-starbucks-employees-horror-story/

Edited by Crtcl Rice Theory

I used to work in a bookstore, and creeps were part of the daily grind. We had a small staff, one male manager and three female staff, two of whom were part-time (including me). Almost every day there would be some man -- not always an old one -- who would come in and act as if they were entitled to monopolize your attention. I was very happy to help anyone with recommendations or to find something on a shelf, but I didn't want to talk about my marital status, or why I wouldn't have "just a coffee" with them. I had my behind pinched more than once, but more frequently a man would find an excuse for his hand to brush it. I had my hair stroked, my smile (or lack thereof) remarked upon again and again, and I was addressed as "gorgeous" all the time, as if it were my name.

My manager did what he could to bounce the really bad actors, but our big boss basically said unless they're threatening violence or causing it, we don't turn them away. He still kicked out the guys who touched us -- even if they were allowed to come back. It was easier to get rid of some of the homeless people who wandered in -- if they started pestering other browsers, that could lead to a lost sale. The homeless also took "please leave" seriously, unlike some of the guys who got really flirty. You could tell them firmly, no, I'm not available, and they'd demand to see a ring. I never told my boyfriend/fiance about it because I didn't want him making an issue of something that felt like my own problem.