chancecody

E-Verify & Steps after EAD approval

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

My job offer has a clause that I must demonstrate work authorization in the US through e-verify by Oct 29, 2021. Can you please help me navigate the steps after EAD approval.

1. My SSN was issued 10 years ago with a notation “Valid only with DHS work authorization” when I had an L1A but quit that job and left the US to return to Canada several years ago. I never used this SSN ever since then. Question: Do I need to get a new SSN?

2. My SSN has my maiden name on it but my EAD will have my married name on it (eg Angelina Jolie in SSN but Angelina Pitt in EAD). Question: Do I have to go to SSA to change my name or DHS will transmit the info directly to SSA? I did not apply or give my old SSN in my I-765 as I could not locate it back then (wrote a comment under Other info that I could not locate it as SSA offices were closed but will locate it at a later time when SSA opens to the public etc).

I am on a tight timeline and with the delays in SSA, do you have any advice on how I can demonstrate work authorization in e-verify? I believe my DHS info will not match with SSA info so it will return a TNC (tentative non-confirmation). Any advice from anyone who went through the same experience is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by chancecody

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no,  as to SS #

that number is yours for life

and u need to change the last name thru SS office (or online with supporting documents)

immigration can change it when you naturalize if u wait to change it

many of us do not change last names when married like me as i would have to pay to refinance my mortgage to get the name changed 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lemonslice said:

Read this thread if you encounter any problem. 

Thanks for this information. Fortunately, I will not be in that situation as the employer knows that I just started my AOS and that they knew prior to giving the job offer that I am in the process of expediting my EAD. They provided a job offer letter to help me expedite approval.

Timeline
50 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

no,  as to SS #

that number is yours for life

and u need to change the last name thru SS office (or online with supporting documents)

immigration can change it when you naturalize if u wait to change it

many of us do not change last names when married like me as i would have to pay to refinance my mortgage to get the name changed 

Thanks for your response. The online service is not possible to my case as first, I am NOT a USC, second, I need to change my name and third, it is not available in Nevada (https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/).

Looks like I have to fill the form and mail it with my original supporting documents which would take months. My job offer would be revoked by then (Oct 29th is the deadline).

9 hours ago, chancecody said:

Do I have to go to SSA to change my name

Yes, after you get the EAD ask SSA for an in-person appointment: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/05262021015248PM

This Emergency Message (EM) provides Field Offices (FOs) and Social Security Card Centers (SSCCs) information regarding the nationwide implementation of the Express Interview (EXI) process. In addition, this EM provides instructions for scheduling appointments, conducting interviews, and documenting interviews, as part of the EXI process. This process was established to address the challenges the public has faced in providing enumeration and documentary proofs, during the COVID-19 pandemic.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT request a non-citizen to submit his or her immigration documents by mail or using the drop box. Due to DHS regulations, non-citizens are required to have their immigration documents in their possession at all times (GN 00303.610.B).

Timeline
1 hour ago, HRQX said:

Yes, after you get the EAD ask SSA for an in-person appointment: https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/reference.nsf/links/05262021015248PM

This Emergency Message (EM) provides Field Offices (FOs) and Social Security Card Centers (SSCCs) information regarding the nationwide implementation of the Express Interview (EXI) process. In addition, this EM provides instructions for scheduling appointments, conducting interviews, and documenting interviews, as part of the EXI process. This process was established to address the challenges the public has faced in providing enumeration and documentary proofs, during the COVID-19 pandemic.

IMPORTANT: Do NOT request a non-citizen to submit his or her immigration documents by mail or using the drop box. Due to DHS regulations, non-citizens are required to have their immigration documents in their possession at all times (GN 00303.610.B).

Thank you for this!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.